Help my sore hand/G43

Discussion in 'GATE Info & Announcements' started by Evil D, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Evil D

Evil D

Hey guys, hope I'm posting this in the right section (this forum has so many categories). First let me say that my background is primarily revolvers and bolt action rifles. I have fired a variety of semi auto pistols, but this is the first that I've ever owned and I've just fired my 1100th round through it (without a single hiccup I might add).

My 43 is wearing a hole in my hand. It doesn't seem to make a difference how I grip, it's probably due to my huge hands and even huger knuckles. Having shot far more revolvers, I tend to naturally go into a Weaver grip, though I have tried pointing both thumbs forward and that seems to make the issue worse (in fact, the first 200 rounds through this gun were shot that way, and that's when all this started).

I eventually had to just stop shooting for a couple weeks to let it heal. Here's the issue...

First time out..
    [​IMG]

Kept breaking open..
    [​IMG]

Finally healed, but check out the size of my thumb knuckle..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DNA on the gun (it's been way worse)
    [​IMG]

Is there anything I can do about this? I've worn bandaids over that spot on my hand and that helps, but I'd like to know if this is something I'm doing wrong, my hand/knuckle just sucks, or the gun sucks. I gotta be honest...I can shoot a Shield all day and this doesn't happen...

Would removing some of that beaver tail help? I was comparing the tail on a Shield to the 43 and the 43 curves downward quite a bit right where it's digging into my hand, whereas the Shield's tail is shorter and points straight out instead of down. I've even looked for some stick on silicone pads or something to cut to fit up under there but can't find anything suitable. Like I said, doesn't seem to matter how I grip, but if I bring my shooting thumb way down on the side of the grip like I'm making a fist and then hold it down with my off hand thumb, it does help. I shot 200 rounds today without doing more damage, but it's pretty sore in that spot. Is this just to be expected when shooting 200 or so rounds at a time?

2. kris7047th

kris7047th

Looks like you are getting slide bit.. Removing the beaver tail will only worsen the issue.
    Have someone knowledgeable stand off to the side and watch what you are doing wrong. Putting your thumb down on the grip is not the answer. It's imperative to hold the gun properly, especially with these smaller guns. I know a few guys, one in particular with massive hands and doesn't have this happen.

3. Evil D

Evil D

Nope, definitely not slide bite. This is literally just the beaver tail rubbing my hand as it recoils. If you look at the first picture you can see it's just rubbing and not what you see from slide bite. I've tried everything I know of, and lowing my shooting thumb is the only thing that stops it from happening. I have a firm grip so it's not like the gun is jiggling around in my hand, there's just enough movement to cause this rubbing.

Unfortunately, I've gotta say, I don't have this issue at all with my Shield. I can fire 1000 rounds out of that thing and this doesn't happen.

If you look at the tails in this pic, see how the 43's tail curves downward at the end but the Shield's doesn't? That's the issue.
    [​IMG]

dymnback5 likes this.
  4. kris7047th

kris7047th

In that case an easy fix. Shave it down.