Help ..melted channel liner?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by LegendaryEgos, Feb 2, 2019.

1. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

I just got a Glock 19 Gen 2-3 slide cheap and no return.
    Now I know why. It appears that the channel liner is melted or something is melted in the channel. It does appear to be black plastic but it's unrecognizable. I have an endoscopy/snake cam and it looks like if it is the channel liner it's melted so badly that it's just a big glob of plastic. It's so bad that you can't see light thru where the striker slot is.

I was thinking to drill but this is not something that is going to come out in 1 piece. I have a feeling it's going to be a teduite job of scraping it out and then really cleaning the channel as it looks like a mess of plastic all over the inside.

I have no idea why or how this happened or if it's even a channel liner, but I know it's black plastic as I was able to scrape out a little piece.
    Is there some way to do this easily?

It's already figured ished in black nitride. Is there something I can pour in to help dissolve amd loosen it? Should I attepmt to drill?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Or anyone know of a company that could get this out for a decent cost?

Thanks in advance

Marc

2. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Find a wood screw and screw into the plastic and pull it out. At least that’s how a channel liner tool works. I don’t know if it’ll work in your case with the liner melted, but seems as long as you could screw it in enough to get a bite it would pull out, maybe not.

It sounds like someone tried to Cerakote or Duracoat it without removing the channel liner.

gatorboy, PRE-K, -JCN- and 2 others like this.

3. mtstream

mtstream

A 5/16 bolt is normally used to remove. Like Walk Soft said, I'd try a wood or metal screw instead to get into the plastic. Even thought it's melted it's likely not melted to the metal and can still be removed.

PRE-K and LegendaryEgos like this.
  4. G29guy06

G29guy06

And some wonder why others don’t wanna by guns that have been customized...

5. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

Thanks. That's what I was going to try. I do think somehow someone must have tried to coat it with the liner in.

I am going to try what you both said. The sucky part is, it's only about maybe a half inch, if that much, material. And the inside of the channel looks hideous. I will post some pics from the Endo cam. I had to use a different phone because I have a Google Pixel and they use a different charging port.

6. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

So first pics are from a nice new slide. You can see the slit for the striker at the end. Forgive me for the pics. Had to take a pic of the screen of the other cell because it won't save the pics and I can't figure out why.
    IMG_20190203_000623.jpg

Anyway second set below are the what I'm assuming is a melted channel liner
    IMG_20190203_000444.jpg

7. peng

peng

Try putting it in the freezer for a bit. The polymer will shrink much more than the metal so it should pop right out.

full disclosure - I have never tried this myself...

Taroman, PRE-K, Pierre! and 3 others like this.
  8. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

That's a good idea. And thanks for the disclaimer.

I also thought about using acetone. It should dissolve the plastic.
    The channel is so blocked that I can't see any light escaping. So I'm thinking if I put acetone in the channel it will just sit there and dissolve until it breaks thru where the plunger, the extractor and the , weep hole? Not sure what that's called. But I like your idea.

Pierre! likes this.
  9. Dave.1

Dave.1

I think peng's idea of freezing is your best bet. I'd avoid trying to melt it since you may end up with something that's even harder to remove.

Dave

LegendaryEgos and sixgun2 like this.
  10. mtstream

mtstream

I agree with Dave. I’d rather be dealing with heat melted (assuming that’s what happened) then chemical melted.

LegendaryEgos likes this.
  11. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I like the freezing idea.
    Do not like the chemical melting idea.
    If you are using the screw method, get it threaded before freezing.
    Then you are ready to pull immediately when it comes out of the freezer.

So what's on the other side ?
    Breech face and firing pin hole.
    Some ideas :

1) In the meantime why not make up (read grind and shape) a tool from a screwdriver that will fit through the firing pin hole. Leave the tip as blunt as fitment allows.
    Use another slide to check fitment.
    Pushing from breech face side might break the blob loose.
    If you are not good at making tools and being careful do not try this.

2) If you have a rubber tipped air nozzle it might push out with compressed air from the breech face side.

3) Use a long sheet metal screw instead, from the other end to do the pulling.
    I'd use a conventional point and not a drilling point screw.
    Would probably start with a size #8 and then you will have meat left to move up in size if needed.
    Using a nut driver, a hex head sheet metal screw will be the easiest to get threaded into the blob.

12. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Thermoset vs thermoplastic: first test to see what material the stock channel liner is-- buy a few and put it in the oven and slowly up the temp, at what temp does it soften and deform into a soft but solid mass, if yes, then just stick the slide in the oven at that temp and just pull it out in one glob. If no, (thermoset), it may still be soft enough to move.

Rather than a freezer, which is honestly not cold enough, use some liquid nitrogen substitute:
    Aerosol cans of compressed "air", shake it, turn it upside down, use the little nozzle tube, spray liquid down into the hole, several times- it cools as it evaporates-- screw into the mass- pull the screw out. Problem with doing it first is you create small chunks and pieces that may be stuck, harder to remove.

Combination of above, heat the slide, spray liquid down the tube to shrink and solidify the plastic, pull it out. < careful with this one- the thermal shock might be a problem on the metal.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    LegendaryEgos and Pierre! like this.
  13. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

Damn guys, all awesome be ideas.

I did use a wood screw and screwedbit in. I pulled like my life depended on it and nothing.

It appears that the channel liner melted down to where it's literally a blob as some have said. With the screw I used, normally on a run of the mill channel liner, it would have started threading sooner and alot of the screw would be sticking out the back of the slide.

This blob seems to be under a half inch or less from the breech hole.

It appears even if I am able to pull this out, the sides of the channel will be like the inside of a cave and not smooth like it should be.

At this point, I'm calling the company (which I don't want to name....yet) to see what they will do. I only got 3 days to inspect it and because I didn't have the slide parts at the time, I didn't bother to look into the channel of what was supposed to be a "100% stripped" slide. Obviously, this wasn't. It just didn't occur to me that maybe there was a melted channel liner inside. I've bought several slides and never checked the channel liner until I was ready to work on it.

All that said, I am going to go thru all the ideas here and discuss with a good friend of mine who knows way more than myself.

I may call a local company that does cerakote and slide cutting and see if they can do this for me.

Anyway, please if anyone thinks of anything else or knows someone who may have dealt with some stupid **** like this, please share.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed so far.

Marc

14. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Might not mess with it or worry about it anymore until you have a discussion with the company...they sold you essentially a defective part. They should offer to replace it.

15. peng

peng

Good thought - my impression is the liner is almost certainly an injection molded thermoplastic material. A screw threaded even a few threads, depending on the pitch should pop it right out after the CTLE delta shrinkage between metal and polymer.

If not - not sure on next steps. I would avoid chemical means at first, torque is a better answer though the polymer may be melted into the hole for the firing pin.

Can you see anything from the other side - looking at the breech face ? Maybe try poking it from that side with a sized punch?

The walls of the FP channel has nearly no draft so lots of force required to move it but may be a good option. Strange issue.

16. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

I will be talking to the company later today. I will let you guys kknow what happens.

One thing that I think is very hard to understand, and frankly, what I don't understand, is if this IS a melted channel liner, like what else could it be, right? But it's like the slide was hung breech favinfdown in an oven and the channel liner literally melted into a solid mass BUT with plastic all stuck against the sides of the channel.

If you look at the pics above, that ****ty one I got the camera way farher down the channel than another brand new slide I have (other picture (the smooth one is a brand new slide with a WHITE channel liner.

But back to the melted one, it appears that it melted down into a Glock and is literally less than a half inch from the breech.

And Peng, looking from the breach end you can see plastic coming out. It's not like it's sticking out like you could feel it with your finger, but when you look close, you can see the plastic.

When I got this I was more looking at the finish and the cuts, etc. It didn't occur to me, "make sure this slide (that is supposed to be brand new, or at least new old stock, and is supposed to be completely stripped ie no channel liner)does doesn't have a melted channel liner inside".
    I will let you know what happens.

17. dudel

dudel

Be careful screwing into the plastic. The breech face is very, very thin. You don't want to screw into it.

I'd use some metal rods to try and find the thickness of the plastic plug (full depth of the channel - the depth to the back of the plug). Don't screw deeper than that.

Screw it before you freeze it, otherwise the screw could cause the plug to expand a bit.

happie2shoot and LegendaryEgos like this.
  18. anyone

anyone

If you wind up with no other option, you could just keep heating it up repeatedly in a toaster oven and picking out the softened plastic using a dental pick a little at a time. Once the bulk of the material is removed an aggressive solvent and a brush will hopefully get the rest. It helps to own a pair of welder's groves to go this route.

19. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

The one sure thing is to run an end mill in there.
    The cutting tool that made the original channel cut.

But that's going to cost someone.

When these slides are cooked for Cerokote (or similar) the channel liner needs to be removed beforehand.
    Or you end up with The Blob.

20. LegendaryEgos

LegendaryEgos

Dudel,

Oh yeah, I made sure that I didn't go to deep, but the good (bad) thing is the screw couldn't go any deeper by virtue of then I wouldn't be able to grab it to pull!!!

Anyone, .Yeah, I thought about that as a last resort also. I'm hoping that I can make this company take it back. Hence the reason I haven't mentioned them yet.

DirectDrive,

Yeah this was one of many (they have 13 left in stock) and it was supposed to be knew. The company I bought it from didn't make it.

That's all I will say now.

dudel and DirectDrive like this.