close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me with the concept of the SHTF weapon system, please.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Nestor, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Making a lot story short.
    It's more theory at this stage, but I would like to hear some opinions from You.
    What's your concept (if You have any) of the family survival/HD system in case when the things (if ever) will go wrong (whatever the scenario may be).
    So far I came up with the idea of having three different handguns (in .357/.38, 9mm and .45ACP as those calibers are the most popular on this continent) and bolt rifle in .22lr (small hunting for food).
    I also do realize that I need a shotgun (hunting and HD) and I'm currently working on this.
    I was thinking about the bolt action rifle and something along the semi-auto lines, but I can't decide on this and I'm not sure about the caliber as well.
    So, now back to the original question...
    What's your concept for SHTF scenario (let's say that we are not talking about any war...more about a serious nature related disaster)?
    ps. just in case You didn't notice - I'm living in Canada, so You know...the snow, cold and bears walking all over the place all are quite normal here :supergrin:

2. jp3975

jp3975

If you want to save some cash you might consider an auto rifle instead of bolt and kill two birds with one stone. Something like an AR in .308

But you cant have those in Canada can you?

.308 is probably among the most used hunting rounds. You might also consider 30-06 which is more powerful.

You might consider a 10mm revolver. It will also accept .40cal which is cheaper and more plentiful than .357 and .38

.454 will also take .45colt and .460 with take .454 and .45colt.

With some auto pistols you can buy barrels to change calibers.

Really, I dont see a lot as neccessary...you just need a pistol, rifle and shotgun with plenty of ammo.

Be sure to have the .22 as well since you can buy 1000s of rounds for cheap.

3. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Yes, we can have the AR's here, the magazine is pinned down to 5 round though (the Canadians found the perfectly legal way to use 10 rounds anyway ;)).
    .308 You said...so the copy of the M14 should work just fine (5 rounds magazine) :)
    Well I can have one for less than $500 here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. jp3975

jp3975

Good...sorry im not more familiar with your gun laws, but ive never been to Canada nor do I know much about it outside of watching Degrassi and Lexx.:tongueout:

That rifle should have you all set once you put a scope on it.

5. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Anything from a natural disaster to the Z word. You can never be sure what might happen, so you want to make sure your equipment is reliable and flexible enough to address all possible eventualities.

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

How about 7,62x39?
    Bolt rifle like CZ 527....the price of the ammo is still great and I can stockpile a few boxes for sure.

7. space_weazel

space_weazel

Not really ideal since you can't have 30 round mags, but I have AK's and several thousand rounds for each, when/if I deplete my x39 reserves, I have FAL's and a PTR to pop 308 out of, alternately a few AR's that can be pressed in to service and the ammo to support both.

For the more likely short duration natural disaster type all you need is a good semi rifle and a pistol and the ammo, mags, and training to support them.

In a prolonged zombie type, have your initial stock of ammo and then a variety of equipment to utilize what you can scrounge, and again mags/training still apply.

8. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

The price of 1 box of 7,62x39 is like $199 here (1120 rounds) and for 1000 rounds of .223 I need to pay like $450 I guess.
    For the similar quantity of .308 the costs are heading into the $800-ish range.
    So, I'm also thinking like...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  9. Kahrguy330

Kahrguy330 I don't believe

In a SHTF I'd want a Steyr Scout rifle.

10. Novocaine

Novocaine

Just something to consider. What I found out with this ammo shortage craze we had in US over the last year is that more popular calibers were the first to vanish from the shelves and less popular calibers could be found more readily available.

I was always somewhat of a fan (but not an owner) of .357 Sig and now I'm waiting for a good used deal to come my way (perhaps even in .45 GAP) for this very reason. At very least I might get a conversion barrel for G20.

One of the reasons I like AR is that you can set it up with a .22 conversion unit. Makes it practical to lag two weapons around. It is the same reason .22 Kadet upper for CZ is a part of my survival kit.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Hi Adam.:wavey:

My thoughts are,
    A 22 pistol, like the tough reliable Ruger MKII. (the 22 pistol is nice to have, especially for younger or less experienced shooters)
    A 22 rifle. Maybe a lever action. No magazines to fool with, fairly fast repeat shots, generally accurate and totally reliable. And a decent scope.
    A good pistol for every shooter in the house. If semi auto, the same gun for each shooter (same magazine). I think ammo availability is more important than caliber.

A couple powerful rifles. In your case with the ammo consideration, 7.62x39.
    A AK type rifle for every shooter in the house.
    And a decent scoped bolt action rifle, like the CZ527 (I like mine).

Of course the always called for, 12 ga pump shotgun, probably with a long barrel and maybe full choke.

And IMO at least a thousand rounds of ammo for each gun. Along with a mix of shot and Buckshot for the shotgun and soft point for the CZ527.

Finally, ten or more magazines for each gun, especially the AKs.

The more ammo you stockpile the better. I suspect in a serious long time SHTF situation a brick of 22LR will be more valuable than a ounce of Gold.
    I know most people have guns but few have more than a few boxes of ammo.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I don't know what Canada's gun laws are like, but if possible my choices would be:

Ruger 10-22 or another quality .22 rifle like a Marlin. You can defend the home place with it if you need to, but mostly for vermin and foraging. It also serves as a trainer and backup to your main rifle.

If you can own a handgun and keep it at home then a quality all round handgun like a Glock, 1911 or a .357 magnum revolver.

If bears are a concern then a good rifle like a Remington pump in .30-06. Marlin makes some nice lever actions also, just pick a caliber you can get ammo for. In black bear country a .30-30 would serve well, but farther west you might want more power.

13. BEER

BEER bad example

my "concept" for a shtf weapons is simple. 1 weapon that will fill as many roles as possible while being as dependable, durable, and easy to operate and maintain as possible.

self defense weapon.
    hunting weapon.
    home defense weapon.
    easy to work on.
    easily replaceable if lost or broken beyond repair.
    must not attract too much attention.
    must be chambered in an easily obtainable caliber.
    the weapon must have a tried, tested, and proven track record.
    must be easily carried for long distances or long periods of time.
    the weapons operation has to be easily taught to a new shooter in case they need it.

for me all these factors equal my marlin 336 in 30/30.

14. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thank You for the replies guys.
    Yeah, I will slowly build up the survival "package" here.
    I'm somehow inclined to get a bolt rifle, because of the brutal weather and my concerns with the reliability of the semi-auto system, since the temperatures may hit - 40 F easily with a lot of snow.

15. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thanks Buck.
    Some really good ideas.

16. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I have:

HK USP .45
    Sig P226 .357SIG
    AK47 7.62
    Mossberg 500 18 inch barrel

That's my setup for SHTF where I need to bunker down and or flee. I have several dry boxes of 7.62, which in a SHTF situation is what I would go for right off the bat along with the Mossy.

The AK is great because it is reliable, proven, and takes some motoroil on a shoelace to keep her running.

I love the Sig round and will be buying further autos in .357SIG and .45ACP.

I'm not so much worried about the aftermath of a SHTF, but the initial burst. If you can survive that, it's all common sense from there on.

The best thing I ever did was have a group of 5-10 people
    that are close (5 minutes away) and we formed a plan on what to do in certain situations, where to meet, and where to hold down.

People may laugh at this, but don't come knocking on my door begging for shelter because you were lax.

:)

17. rockabillyrider

rockabillyrider

And here I thought Canada was pretty safe. Maybe I flee to Mexico.......

18. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Sure it is.
    No doubt about it.
    However as a husband and father I'm responsible for the safety of my family.
    You know if the Yellowstone supervolcano will wake up we all are screwed, but tornado or the earthquake is something we can be prepared for.
    I don't want to walk around and ask for help after the SHTF thing.
    From the other hand I don't want to play any Mad Max thing, but I believe that any responsible person should learn something from what happened in New Orleans.
    That's it.

19. rjm

rjm

My idea of a shtf weapon system consists of four different firearms. One would be a 26" barreled shotgun with an interchangeble choke tubed smoothbore barrel, semi auto preferably. I would like my Winchester SX3 with a sling attached and I would take the ridiculous plug out of the magazine. Two modern double action revolvers in a fairly common caliber like .357 magnum in leather belt holsters, heck the belts could be cartridge belts like in the old west, pretty handy way to carry spare ammo. One revolver setup is for my wife and one for me. I would also have a rifle that can be used for hunting large game. A bolt action in .308 or .30-06 would suffice fine, with a sling and sturdy scope attached.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

At the risk of repeating from another thread-

A Registered Magnum with certificate and two digit serial number

Holland and Holland royal in 375 or maybe 470 Nitro

Korth Combat .357

Purdey side by side in 20 gauge

Raven .25
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->