Help me with my GSD

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Kadetklapp, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

About two years ago, we adopted a three year old GSD named Buddy. Now, I have never had a dog before, but my wife has, so she assured me we could handle him just fine. Well, we get him, and he is a big doggie. He loves to jump and hug and knock you over and all those bad doggie habits. He's VERY friendly and the couple of times "questionable" people have shown up on our property he puts on a very intimidating show, which I like:banana:

About a year and a half ago we took him to the vet for his shots and a once-over before we sent him to a trainer in Terre Haute for obediance and some defense training, to the tune of about $400. The vet discovered heartworm. The people who "gave" him to us claimed they got rid of him because they didn't have room. Turned out they got rid of him because they didn't want to spend the money to treat the heartworm! :upeyes:

So, we dropped a small fortune in treatments and cleared it up. He was pretty sick for a while so he never went to training. I can tell he is bored. He has a great ball drive and he's actually very intelligent. He also LOVES to get loose and go roaming but as long as he is alone when he gets out of his kennel or off his lead he will stick around the house. If I try to catch him he takes off. Very bad doggie:upeyes:

We live somewhat in the country and I'd like to train him to be on his own but not leave and wander the neighborhood like the other dogs. I don't think this is possible, but what can I do to get him to break these bad habits? Does he need fixed? Will this cure him of his wandering problem?

He does fetch, sit, and shake. That's about it. I'd like to train him to stay down (he knows down but he doesn't like it) and train him to quiet down when he gets to barking (he hates deer, they drive him nuts, and they are thick here).

2. AZBADBOY

AZBADBOY

I'd definitely get him fixed, more health benefits than drawbacks. You can try a wireless fence setup to cure is wandering problem. I take it he stays outside normally anyways?

3. goforitinsb

goforitinsb Guest

I have had three very well bred, well trained GSDs. They are not the breed to adhere to an electric fence. They are too smart and have too much will power to pay attention to those at all. Most of the protection breeds will not even wince at the electric fences. You need to keep him in a fenced in area. Fixing him will not do a thing to keep him home. I do not know where Terre Haute is, but regardless, a truely good obedience trainer of working dogs will charge a lot more than 400 for basic obedience, and will not even think of protection ( defensive ) training until the dog has gone through basic and advanced obedience, and interviewed you and explained how much work it takes for YOU to keep the dog trained, and respecting you as alpha no matter what before even thinking of moving on to protection work, and that will be even more expensive. And that is if your dog is even qualified for that, temperment wise. A working dog that loves to go after balls etc. has the type of drive that is more apt for a bomb or drug dog, a dog that goes after birds etc has the drive that is more apt for protection work. I do not know where you live but I have two very well respected working dog (protection, bomb, police, Schutzhund, and obedience ) trainers I can recommend to you if you would like. Both are in CA. One in Southern, one in the Sacramento area. They could probably recommend people in other states if need be. I hope this helps.

4. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

I'm in Indiana, so cost may be different here. This lady primarily deals in obediance so protection was just an added bonus since she knew I was an LEO. It's not so much I want him for protection, I just want him to get the most out of his life and I feel worthless to help, since I dont know enough about dogs. I used to walk him daily but he pulls and is so high-strung it just was a huge chore especially after a long day at work. My wife, who wanted him in the first place, doesn't work with him at all and I feed him, water him, and take care of his basic needs while she pats him on the head every now and again. He is a very loving dog and just doesn't have any direction. We purchased a very expensive hidden fence and yea, he laughed at that. He was out in less time than it took me to bury the damn wire.

5. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

6. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

It sounds like a lot of your issues would be cured with proper walks. You'd be amazed at what a proper walk can accomplish.

Skim through the "Ask a Trainer" thread at the top of the forum.

7. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Since you are LEO, you certainly should be able to easily find a few K9 trainers who would give you some pointers or at least point you in the right direction.

I agree, you need a fence. I would never put my GSDs outside, alone, for any extended period of time in open space. And, you already said you have 'deers' (<-- sorry, this is a quote from Stephan Marbury regarding M. Vick's situation - just being silly:) ) around.

The jumping, staying, and other commands are pretty simple, so don't despair. The thread mentioned is a great start. I wouldn't do protection training until and unless you really know the dog and it's capabilities. It is a huge responsibility to have a trained biter.

8. 219paul

219paul

I'm not a dog expert by any means but have owned 3. Fixing them doesn't do anything for agression/wandering; it only stops unwanted litters. Sounds like yours need exercise.

9. W Turner

W Turner

Does he live in the house with you as a family member?

Is he crate trained?

What kind of collar are you using on your walks?

Check out Ed Frawley's website... www.leerburg.com

The website is a great resource for dog training of all kinds. Thousands of free articles, plus his videos are amazing if you put the principles in use.

Bull

10. pixel218

pixel218

I know nothing about GSDs, but I am from Terre Haute. :wavey: Have you asked either the Terre Haute or Vigo County K9 officers about training?

P.S. I'm sure that pics would be helpful....:hearts:

11. Platz

Platz

Regarding bitework training, most good schutzhund clubs do not require that you train the dog in bitework in order to join the group. You can still heavily participate (and greatly benefit!) from the obedience and tracking portions of the training (which come first regardless of whether you want to train in bitework or not). If you are interested in bitework in future training sessions, you can go through the training to be a decoy for the dogs currently in bitework training. There is more to it than just running across the field and letting the dog take you down (for dogs in training that is) - so there's a lot to learn just in being a decoy.

Indiana does have a schutzhund club, I don't know that it's still active but I would imagine it is.

Contact info per their old website:
    Mike Diehl
    6818 S. Five Points Rd
    Indianapolis IN 46259
    317-862-6434
    [email protected]