close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me setup my new bench.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

8ft of bench at 42"
    [​IMG]

32" of bench at 46.5 inch's
    [​IMG]

I like 32" of space (16" on each side) around my 550. Thats why it's bolted down and already set. I never used a Single Stage before so I really don't know how much room I might need around it. Will be using it to size cast bullets for Tumble Lubing and also for the Lee Lead Hardness Testing Kit mostly right now. The left side of the bench is going to have the Magma Star when it finally comes. I don't really know how much room to dedicate for any of these presses. I am thinking of leaving that Turret where it is. It feels like enough space and it would be close to my scale which is getting moved to the wall behind the 550 set at eye level and zipped tied in place. Any other ideas? I figure if I put the Star on the far left I will still have a bunch of space in the middle for other things. I also have my old bench with a table setup at 32" for seated stuff and two tops at 36" for cleaning guns etc.

2. fredj338

fredj338

You need very little room for the Star/Magma. I set mine w/ a 4" high angle iron base so a bullet collection box can be put under it. So you only need a 10-12" space on the left side for a box of unsized bullets, maybe the same space on the right for the lubed bullets to go. I have a separate 42" Craftsman cabinet/bench my casting stuff sits on. My presses go on a 24"X8' bench top on cabinets. Here is a pic of the Star. My bench is a bit more cluttered than yours, but you can see how it is mounted.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Nice bench Steve. It that a manufactured kit or something you put together yourself?
    I like the clean top and the steel legs not taking up alot of room.

4. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

You could make it like I did. And have the turret press, Star lube sizer, and single stage press where they are not permanently mounted and can be pulled out and in. But if you do want too mount it I like at least 12” to 18” on each side of the press.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Just scrap would I had laying around. I did not buy any wood. It's 3/4" inch Hickory Pre Finished 4.5 inch Hardwood flooring glued and nailed to 3/4" MDF that was glued and screwed to 1/2" OSB. Obviously you do the MDF/OSB part first. The legs are just 1" galv pipe, threaded and brackets from Home Depot. The 550 mounts very close to the end of the table so I did not want 3/4 inch material faced nailed on the end with finish nails. The 550 would have mounted onto that part. It probably would have been fine but I just didn't want to do it. I chose to buy some 8' aluminum 2" strips. That was the expensive part. I could have cheaped out with some glue on base and saved $40. I still need to cut the wood pieces go against the wall. Need to recess the screws in the aluminum.

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Thats kinda what I thought. 12-18" is more then enough on each side of a press/whatever.

7. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

:thumbsup:

Looks good Steve!

Bob

8. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

Nice benches. That seems like quite a bit of scrap you had laying around.

Tomorrow, I'll be building a couple shelves over my bench to get my scale up to eye level and for more storage space. I picked up the materials from Home Depot a couple hours ago.

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

22sq ft of flooring. Most of it was loose from a house I built 3 years ago so i really couldn't use it again in another home. It was not perfect any longer. The long bench I got lucky with. I had a 1/2 sheet of OSB and also a 1/2 sheet of MDF. At that point I was out of MDF but I found two scraps of MDF shelving that I was able to butt up against eachother to get the 24 inch depth I needed. Once you glue+screw the OSB/MDF together and then glue+Nail the Hickory on the top it's still plenty strong even with the seam. I just made sure that seam fell 1/2 way between the 4.5" flooring and glued that piece of flooring very well to bridge the gap.

Well, I bolted the Turret in place and sized a batch of bullets last night. I like the heigths. That turret has about the same height as the Star handle. Hopefully that bodes well for me liking the Star height as well. I like doing all this stuff standing so far.

10. n2extrm

n2extrm

C4W

The bench looks great. I know you know this but I agree, if you put some PL or similar adheasive and then screw it down it is strong as all hell. I wish I could give you some advice, but you are just going to have to slide it around and see how it works. You could try to mock it up with some clamps, throw some items around and see how it flows before you bolt too much down.

I agree on the strong mount as well. I have my press hanging over the edge like you and it is 100%. My bench is definetly lower then yours, but standing in front of it I can see the cases well, and it feels right.

I put 8' florescent lights above the bench a typical double light setup, with the tubes over the bulbs and I wrap it with cable ties so if something breaks it should stay in place. I also brought home one of the anti fatigue rubber mats to stand on. I got them from Snap-on years ago and they are great. You can get them at Harbor freight too. I tried sitting but it feels goofy. You get better leverage and range of motion standing.

Nice Job!

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I actually got a bunch of those anti fatique matts yesterday. Couldn't stand the idea of my carpet getting ruined with stains. I still need to add lighting.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

And the flat panel tv will be mounted where?

Jack

13. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Fatique? Is that some sort of French matt? Do they come in a color other than yellow?

14. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

A big jar of Jelly Beans would make me feel at home.

Seriously though I would maybe add some storage under the bench. I hate having to walk to the garage for primers, bullets, ect.

Looks good Steve.

15. paperairplane

paperairplane

Don't eat stuff while playing with reloading components.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I'd make him wash his hands. We may have a French floor matt but we still believe in good hygiene.

17. dudel

dudel

Bar stool works for me.

18. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Awww come on. All those spent primers keep me regular.

19. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

A good Unique shake in the morning does wonders for me.

20. banjobob

banjobob

It looks great, but my first reaction was it is too light weight. My experience is that a reloading bench cannot be too massive and or too heavy. My bench has a 1.5 inch plywood glued and screwed together 4x4 and 2x4 construction, a lower shelf with at least 15K bullets and other misc gear stored on it and it still moves when I'm seating primers on the Dillon. It is very slight but it does annoy the hell out of me. In my opinion you just can't over build a bench, but then again if it works for you that's all you need.

Attached Files: