Help me put my bike back together!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by micah, Sep 8, 2005.

1. micah

micah loves you all.

I'm reassembling a POS 1990 Ninja 600 that I bought as a box of parts. All is well...except that I cannot seem to figure out how to install the boots that attatch the carbs to the airbox! The airbox is not removable with the carbs in place, heat doesn't make the boots much more plyable, theboots are not symetrical, ie they have to be orientated a specific way to attatch without leaking....I'm at my wits end, what to do? I'm about ready to buy some pods and say "F it".

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Are you using a service manual? They usually have good tips on R&R.

3. 1911

If they are like the ones on my KZ1000 you need to figure which way there orintated then roll the part that goes to the carb back on it self. Make sure the spring is all ready on the boot. If the boots are hard and not rollable you will never get them on. after you have it rolled slide it between the carb and air box put the air box end in to the air box when its in unroll the boot onto the carb the roll up the spring. I hope you can firgure out what I mean by rolling the carb side rubber back on itself. You'll need a nice long flat screwdriver being carefull not to puntcure the boots. Hope this helps good luck.

4. micah

micah loves you all.

I understand what you mean by rolling them up...I'm thinking a new set might be more pliable then the ones I have, but I'll give 'er another whack. Thanks!

5. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

You could also use something like Armor-all or tire shine to help bring back some of the moisture in the dried out boots. Plus it'll help make them slide into the airbox. Don't laugh, I use this trick almost everyday. Personally I like Honda Spray Polish. That stuff is AWESOME! I use it for cleaning and the above purpose, plus it tstes great on a Ritz cracker.

6. waterwolves

waterwolves

This might be to late for you I don't know if you have them on or not but heres a trick. Put your boots in boiling hot water. Use insulated rubber gloves to remove them. This will make them plyable, that you will be able to roll them back and put them in place. ;)