close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

help me please

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by robert neville, Feb 20, 2006.

1. robert neville

robert neville

please help the stupid new guy,as i just got out of the cardiac intensive care unit last night,,,thank the good lord no damage,but clogs were found in 2 places during my nuclear stress test,,,one thing mentioned was omega3 supplements and 81 grains of aspirin 3 or 4 times a week.....quick reading vitamin e needs to be taken with the omega3 to counteract,,,,should i simply take a vitamin e gel cap or split it open and pour the oil over my breakfast to speed up the absorption?and please,im not well versed on these things but i want to educate myself,what brand of fish oil would serve me best,and i didnt see a recommended dosage based on age/sex/weight.....i dont want to buy some bs snakeoil cure i want my heart to be healthy,,,,,can anyone please point me in the right direction?

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Rob,
    First off my thougths and prayers are with you. I got viral cardiomiopathy last May and it dang near killed me. I am doing what I can to get on a transplant plant list now and I'm only 35.
    From what I learned, give yourself a couple of weeks to get some strength back and then start bugging your Cardio Doc about Cardiac Re-Hab. All major Heart Hosptials have some sort of program to help folks like you and me. Fortunately for me, my Doc said I have the arteries of an 18year old, but during Cardiac Re-hab we constantly had nutrition classes that answered your very same questions.
    I tried to tune them out since it didn't pertain to me and just wanted to sweat a little.
    Here is what I remember though, Oatmeal and Grapes(all colors) are the 2 very best things on the planet to eat for reducing bad cholesterol and raising good cholesterol.
    In short my thoughts on my diet were, if I used to eat to it, I can't have it anymore.
    Good Luck to you my friend and get well soon. ;?
    I don't wish my position on anyone.

3. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

The diet thing is going to be a biggy. Once you get use to it, it ain't bad. You can get most if not all of your Omega 3 fatty acids from fish. Also, scrap the vegetable oil and that and switch to cooking with olive oil. Lots of omega's in that stuff.

4. DBradD

DBradD

If I woke up and found myself in your shoes, the first thing I'd try would be a vegetarian diet. I'm assuming of course that your doctor would be ok with that. My wife ate a vegetarian (not vegan) diet for exactly one year a few years back. Her cholesterol went from 150-160 down to almost exactly 100. She didn't lose weight, but her cholesterol sure dropped like a rock.

DBD