close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP me ........PLEASE !!!!!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by #1 Glocker, Jan 5, 2006.

1. #1 Glocker

#1 Glocker

I don't know where to turn. I'm a food junky. I'm 6'3" and 330lbs. alot of people say I carry my weight well, people don't beleve I'm at 330lbs. I'm tired of being this way.If I could just lose 50lbs. I would be happy, but If I could lose 100lbs. I would really be happy, but the key is to keep it off, anyone out there that can help and give me some info I would be thankful. I'm not a big eater, yes, I'm a food junky but I really don't eat much in a days time. I don't really care for sweets or pop, I like meaty food. I'm a security officer that works 3rd. shift from 7pm at night to 5am in the morning so I sleep from 6am to around noon or 1pm ( 2pm if I'm lucky )I beleive if I could lose 50 lbs. I would feel much better, It's like I tell people, try carrying a 50lb. bag of dog food for about an hour in wal-mart then when you put it down it feels good, right? Well I beleive if I could drop 50 I would most likely feel better. I plain to start walking about 2 miles aday soon, if I walk out of my drive and walk the roads around my home it's 2 miles on the dot. I have to watch what I do also due to I had some surgry on my back about 7 years ago so I really can't do set-ups or jumping jacks. I know I sound like a real basket case, but I sure would like some help or a piont in the right way, Thanks.

2. DBradD

DBradD

Look at the previous thread called "I am tired but confused."

It has some info from several folks that might help.

DBD

3. b8es_

b8es_

Not to make it sound so simple, because I have a hard time with it too, but if you are overweight and it isnt a medical problem, then you are just eating more than you need to. It is hard to believe how little a person needs to eat to stay a healthy weight once you get out of your 20's.

The easiest way to cut back on eating too much is to eat lots of tiny meals through out the day. Over time, your stomach will shrink and you will feel less hungry, and you wont even be able to eat huge meals without feeling full sooner.

Check out a show on NBC called The Biggest Loser. It is corny with all the emotions and stuff, but they do it correctly, they eat almost nothing! It's the tiny eating more than all their exercise that makes them lose all that weight. Exercise is good, but it is not anywhere near as important as the eating.

4. DBradD

DBradD

What he said.

As I typed in other threads, I used to think exercise was the key, but now I'm completely convinced that it's 80-90% diet with exercise playing only a small role.

If you look at the arithmetic of the situation, it's obvious. Many common American foods are so unbelievably high in calories that it takes only a tiny error to end up with a 1000+ calorie meal. On the other hand, consider how few calories are burned by exercise. Last night, I did the stairmaster on Level 9 for 60 minutes - a brutal workout for me and most people, but that's only 600-700 calories burned. An hour of weightlifting or walking would burn far less than that. I could eat 1500 calories in about 10 minutes at fazolis and that would actually be fun!!

I've tried several things over the years and counting calories is the only thing that has taken off fat. To do this, you have to memorize or write down the calories in EVERYTHING you eat, no cheating. To illustrate the required precision, consider the mistake I made the other day, which seems basic looking back on it. I preplanned to get the chicken salad which was 406 calories + 110 calories for the dressing. In my carelessness, I got a different dressing plus ate one tiny roll. I get home and looked it up on their menu and I accidentally ate nearly double the calories that I planned. Ayyy! A small error here and there isn't going to make or break you, but doing something like this every other meal will drag your progress to a hault.

I think a good basic plan is to figure out how many calories you need to maintain your bodyweight and knock about 500 off that. Count every calorie and hold yourself to that number. You can do this. 500 isn't that bad. I doubt that a larger deficit than that can be maintained for long.

Good luck. I think there are a lot of helpful people in this forum.

DBD

5. B_Easy

B_Easy

You'd be surprised how quickly you can lose weight, provided that you have a bit of lean mass to eat up your calories.

IMO, you should start exercising a few times a week, cardio 3-4x a week...nothing crazy, just 20 mins @ 130 beats per minute on an elliptical or bike or whatever.

Start out slowly, though.

Don't neglect weights, though. Cardio burns calories IN the gym, muscle burns calories all day.