close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me plant my garden!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CodyBoy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Need to decide what to plant in my garden this year.

I will have tomatos for sure. Big celebrities.

eggplant

jalapenos

sweet peppers

maybe try some bellpeppers

carrots too, but hate waiting that long for results and not much yield.

Going to have some kind of beans, not sure yet.

Cucumbers?

So what other suggestions do ya'll have for me.

Space is limited. I have a 4' x 16' , and two 18" x 8', and a couple of 18" x 3' raised beds.

Stuff like tomatoes and peppers are great because they keep producing for a long time. One-timer stuff like carrots, are ok but looking for more plants that keep on keeping on. :supergrin:

Also had a lot, I mean a lot of mustard greens last year. Way too many. I had greens coming out of my ears.

Speaking of "ears", what about corn? Never tried it. Does it keep producing or is it a one-timer?

Going to start prepping the beds, waiting on your suggestions.

Thanks.

Ha just saw it. Post # 1000!

Am working on my signature. Now I just need my own stocked pond and still and I'm all set.
    Plenty deer for shootin' already.

:supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Corn is a one timer. depending where you live, Ohio for instance, corn should be knee high by the 4th of July but here is Arkansas, is is ready to eat by then.

3. trifecta

trifecta

Corn takes up quite a bit of space for the yield. You might be able to plant something under it to maximize the space or use the shade it creates to your advantage.

I would add a few spices. Most grow well in a container, so wouldn't take up garden space.

Since are in Texas, I believe you are required to plant a salsa garden so get some onion and cilantro to go with the items already on your list.

4. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Yea I forgot to mention the onions. Will have them also.

Good idea on the cilantro. I love making salsa.

Going to have some other "herbs" in there also. :whistling:

5. shavedape

shavedape

Corn is a complete waste of time and space if you aren't a commercial grower. And what manages to make it to near maturity the raccoons will get. Don't bother with corn.

Cilantro is great to grow but from what I remember it has a very long germination rate. Make sure to read up on it and get the seeds started early indoors first.

Basil is so easy you don't have to do anything but stick the seed in the soil and soon you'll have some. Dill grows fairly quickly too but it tends to get invasive if the seeds get away at all. You'll have the stuff popping up everywhere. And consider a perenial herb like chives. Once planted you don't have to do anything but snip off what you need when you need it, year after year after year.

As for quick stuff in limited space check out something called "Mesclun mix" for a type of salad greens. Super easy to grow and you harvest it young so you won't be waiting all year to eat a salad. You can sow a couple times a summer easily, just make sure you have enough seeds for it. These are salad greens, not mustard greens. They're for eating raw in a salad.

If you're growing carrots you may as well grow some beets too. Love beats! You can even grow those golden beets. Good stuff!

Cucumbers are okay but might not be worth the space for what you get. All depends on how well the plant yields. I've done ok some years and lousy in others with cukes. Just easier to pick one up at the store if I'm so inclined.

And if you're a hippy I guess you could try your hand at growing hemp, but I wouldn't have any advice on that.

6. failsafe

failsafe

Onion's can be planted early in set's, better in the cool month's, they tend to have a hot taste in the hot month's...Cilantro, is a small area project, but the next year, you will have it everywhere...
    Might try some garlic,,but if it seed's, same as cilantro..
    Corn need's to be in a area where multiple row's can be planted, it has to do with the polonization..
    Stay away from Watermellon and vine plant's,,,They take up a large area..
    Try some tomatoes, different types, Big Bertha Bell Pepper's, Jalapeno's..

7. Paul_J

Paul_J

We grow purple hull peas just Northeast of you in Coldspring. They are kinda like black-eyed peas.

8. Mr V

Mr V

Instead of regular cukes try what is called lemon cucumbers. They are round like a lemon and really good (and not available in stores).
    Also try Italian Ice tomatoes (cherry sized).
    How about doing some garlic.
    I would skip corn unless you have lots of room.
    How bout spinach.
    We did patty pans (a squash) last year. Pick them when small about 1" and saute in some butter or olive oil. They do take up some space so it might not work out for you.
    We also did colored carrots last year..taste is the same as reg. carrots
    Do a small row or two of beets. (we did 3 rows 4ft long). There are some great pickled beets receipes on the internet.
    We can't start on our garden for at least 3 more months!! Wife will get some seeds started in the Aero-grow and then transfer out to the small green house so we can get a small head start.

9. Steve0853

Steve0853

Purple hulls are great. We grow Colossus variety. However, the OP would probably have to plant his whole space with peas to get a couple of messes.

10. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Okra

Cucumbers - Pickling size

Strawberries - All Star

Lettuce

Cherry Tomato

You should have planted the onions in November.

11. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Howdy, I have been gardening in Tx for over 35 years. This is what I figured out thus far. I’m not sure but it looks like your in zone 8.
    Need to start your seeds 6 weeks before the last predicted last frost.
    The predicted last frost is March 15.
    Tomatoes, all peppers, greenbeans, okra love warm weather up to 95 then you will have blossom drop.
    Garlic takes two years to mature so blow them off.
    I have had real good luck with onions, carrots, broccoli, lettuce and collard greens but I don’t start them until Oct and Nov. To late now for you. I have been getting my onions from here for years. www.dixondalefarms.com . Waste of time doing seeds.
    Don’t waste your time with corn. It is a waste of space and water.
    Also I hang out here if you want to talk about anything about gardening. Laid back good people for sure. perrysgreenhouse.com

12. ctaggart

ctaggart

If you like tomatos then you HAVE to plant at least one brandywine. It's an heirloom variety and so tasty. Probably the best I've ever had. Thin skin and very meaty. A terrific slicer.

If you really want to make the best use of space you'll graft a potato plant and a tomato plant. Tomatos on top, potatos on bottom!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lab/msg031403481721.html

13. Kozel

Kozel

If you have even a shred of “survivalist” thinking for your garden think POTATOES.

It is by far the best survivalist crop. it can grow in many climates. It is under ground and it requires minimal processing into food.

Back when USSR fell apart even in cities everything but sidewalks were turned into gardens, mostly potato gardens and people were sitting there at night, some times with guns if they had them guarding their potatoes because others would come and dig them up.

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Whew. Thought this was a Farmville thread. I am SO glad I found how to ban that crap from my FB.

15. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

Try some garlic. Has anyone ever heard of Dolly Parton Tomatoes?

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

If I was to plant a garden this year.
    Tomatoes
    green beans (bush)
    sweat peas (goes from bush to mouth)
    mescaline (lettuces like stuff)
    radishes
    Zuchini (I make Z bread)
    I have tried, but never had much luck with Spaghetti squash
    carrots, but I need to add more sand to the area

Tried strawberries, I never did very well. It might be worth while to try again.
    Raspberries,I like black and read
    Blueberries were a hit and miss. The rabbits ate them in winter.

17. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

18. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

I wonder what thats gonna be. :whistling:

19. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I'm sure he was thinking about Parsley, Chives, Basil, Oregano, Savory and Catnip for his kitty.:rofl::whistling: :supergrin::dunno:

20. titan99

titan99

Be sure to start with good soil. I make my living developing and selling garden soil. If their is one product that will help your garden more than any , it is worm castings. I can go on all day long but to keep it simple. WORM CASTINGS.

Good Luck and good yield !!