Help me pick where to move in the great state of Texas.

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by 10 Ring Tao, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

[I know this is a lot of questions, but this will be a major life changing move for me, so thanks for your effort and advice in advance.]

Alright gents, with each passing day I'm more convinced I'll be moving to TX within 12-18 months. I'm in the process of researching which area I want to end up.

I know I don't want to end up in a downtown, nor a small rural town.

The only real criteria is that I'm near a hospital with a large ER, a large suburban hospital would be perfect.

Optional stuff that means a lot:

• I'd love it if that ER wasn't in the ghetto.
    • Near the gulf coast.
    • Decent hunting within an hours drive. Deer not so much, but upland game, rabbits, and pig.
    • Saltwater fishing nearby.
    • Good bar/nightlife scene, preferably similar to a college town's, ie. not dirty hole in the wall type places.
    • Good access to cultural events.

And the second part of this post is about the gun laws. I need to know if there are any funky little twists. I'm doing lots of reading on my own, but direct questions and answers are probably the best way to round out my knowledge.

-The only negative oddity I'm aware of, is that open carry is explicitly not allowed.

-The local prosecutors that were acting like spoiled children were finally taken care of by yet another legislative effort, regarding carry in a car without a permit?

-All NFA toys are allowed?

-Deadly force laws allow the CCW holder to use deadly force to prevent what? Where can I find that language in the law? Here in MI it can be used to prevent death, great bodily harm, and forcible sexual penetration.

-Castle doctrine was passed, but that is relatively vague. What exactly does your castle doctrine entail? Here, it works out to be that you can use deadly force any place you have a legal right to be, without first retreating, if the criteria for a good shoot are met under the CCW/deadly force law. It also bars the scumbag or his family from filing a civil suit if it was determined to be a good shoot.

-What can I have loaded and ready in the trunk of my car, besides the sidearm on my hip?

-Can I only carry a pistol, or can I also carry a collapsible baton, taser/stun gun, pepper spray?

-If going to a place that derives more than 50% of its profits from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption, I can carry a knife or pepper spray here. What can I carry to a club/bar in TX?

Thanks much, I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on.

2. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

The perfect spot to meet your criteria is where I currently live...Orange County, Texas.....rural, but, still near medical centers, cheap gun range memberships abound, plenty of salt water fishing on Sabine Lake, and fresh water fishing in the Sabine and Neches rivers, and local bayous, the gulf is about 30 minutes away by boat or auto....cheap housing costs, and easy CCW permit laws.....I transfered here from north Texas 4 years ago, after living in Arlington for about 6 years, and will be retiring here in less than 20 months....check out www.southeasttexas.com for real estate prices, gun prices, hunting and fishing info, etc. Good luck, and great decision!!:supergrin:

3. 10 Ring Tao

4. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Cannot say I'm surprised you're leaving MI. I'll put a plug in for IN, we're more gun friendly than TX.

Best of luck.

5. 10 Ring Tao

Heh, after suffering most of my life in the MI winters, I decided that there was no way I was staying north of the mason-dixon line. If IN had the weather of TX, you better believe I'd be considering it.

6. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

My family has 2 bayhouses in Rockport... Holiday beach on the Capano bay to be exact. Fantastic fishing, great restaurants, and a friendly local community. Every time I am there I consider relocating. It is about 30 miles from Corpus Christi, but literally a world away from the standard hustle and bustle of a city.

If you go, remember that the "old rules" apply.
    1) wave at everyone who waves at you.
    2) get used to being called "hun" or "sweetie" by every waitress/hostess/cashier.
    3) you can get good food at a gas station.

Dan

7. rattfink1

rattfink1 .. I ate WHAT!!

I think you will be happy with your decision. I moved from Grand Rapids MI almost 20 years ago. It would take a miracle to get me to move back.

The Dallas area is nice. Although its pretty far from the coast, but no too bad.

If I was going to live by the coast these are the cities I would research:

The Woodlands (near houston)
    Galveston Island ( on the coast near Houston)
    Corpus Christi ( on the coast )

All these cities are farely good size and should have decent ER's.

8. PhuzzyGnu

PhuzzyGnu Guest

Sounds like the Houston area to me.

Prosecutors taken care of.

NFA toys allowed.

Deadly force (may not reflect recent castle doctrine changes): http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.002.00.000009.00.htm

Castle doctrine: No duty to retreat. Shoot first, ask questions later. Even before, it was exceedingly rare for a good shoot to go bad.

You can carry your entire arsenal in your car- With or without a CHL license the handgun can't be in plain view, you can't be a gang member, and you can't be committing a crime. Long guns can be on a rack in the back window of your truck for the world to see.

I believe the ASP baton is illegal. All others fine.

You can carry everything legal in a 51% bar except a gun.

-p.

9. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

San Antonio is pleasant. Lots of local gun stuff. Affordable housing. Doctors galore - a major medical center and surburban hospitals going up.

NFA - Bexar country sherrif was against it but he just quit for being a crook. The adjacent counties might be OK - don't know.

10. 10 Ring Tao

Great replies, thanks guys. Please keep 'em coming.

I don't plan on worrying about the CLEO sign off, because its negated by having the NFA items registered to an LLC (or some other corporate/company entity, can't remember exactly which).

11. Alpine

Alpine

Don't forget to learn Spanish first!

12. SawDuster

SawDuster Guest

Try Waco.

Born and raised there.

I will be back there withing the next 5 years, unless there is an SHTF event which I fully expect by the next election.

:cowboy:

13. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Plenty of large ER's in the Houston - Galveston area, the 3 biggest ones are Memorial Hermann (affiliated with UT-Houston), Ben Taub (with Baylor College of Medicine), and John Sealy (with UTMB-Galveston). These are where almost all of the major trauma cases go to. Hermann and Ben Taub are smack right in the middle of the Texas Medical Center, with Hermann Park and Zoo, Rice University, and The Museum District right close by. Downtown is about 3 miles away, with Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros) and The Toyota Center (Houston Rockets), and Reliant Stadium (Houston Texans). Galveston is about 45 miles away, where you wouldn't want to jump into the filthy water.

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

is it's got houston in it.

if you're married don't go to austin.

if you're single, go to austin.

take birkenstocks AND cowboy boots, and keep a toothbrush in the glovebox.

:)

15. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

16. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Denton. Couple new big hospitals, access to I35, access to shooting ranges not too far away, on the north edge of the dfw metroplex so congestion not so bad, etc.

17. SawDuster

SawDuster Guest

Crawford, Texas

Near good hospitals and gun stores in Waco.

Of coarse not to mention the most secure county in Texas.
    No poachers but plenty of libs for target practice protesting when the President is in town. hehehehe (presidental laugh).

Great place, nice and small and real real quite.
    Plenty of property to buy and shoot guns, hunt, fish, bow hunt, plus great rock n roll from Uncle Ted.

:cowboy: :2gun:

18. Ol' Dirty

Ol' Dirty

I'm a transplant from Minnesota and for the last five years I've been all over south Texas from San Antonio to Victoria to Rockport/Corpus to Houston. Forget Victoria, but the others have everything you're seeking. Houston has culture, is close to the saltwater fishing and there are lots of hospitals. San Antonio and the hill country has a culture of its own, would be great for the hunting and has many hospitals. Check out Port Aransas/Rockport for the fishing and the nightlife in Port A is pretty good. It's also a spring break hotspot. The biggest ER is in Corpus which could be 30 minutes away. Wherever you end up in Texas, prepare for a lot of windshield time. Whatever you're looking for is in Texas, but it's so damn big that you might have to drive a ways to find it.

Why don't you just spend a week or two exploring the big triangle between Austin, Corpus, and Houston. Each of the areas are different but you will find something good with them all. Personally I'm a fan of the hill country between Austin and San Antonio.

19. speck

speck

College Station, TX -- It *IS* a college town, so there's a decent bar scene. It's a podunk town of about 100,000. There's good food, great hunting, lots of great eye candy in the form of little blonde college students, and lots of good jobs available with the rapidly expanding university and lots of businesses that are growing up around the university. Housing is rediculously cheap. There are some excellent restaurants in the area and more opening seemingly weekly. You're an hour's drive from Houston, an hour and a half from Austin, three hours from San Anton and three hours from DFW, so if you really want you can take a quick day trip to "the big city".

Two big hospitals are the College Station Medical Center and St. Joseph's in Bryan. (Bryan / College Station are kind of melded into one town.) Bryan's kinda ghetto-y, but there's a new police chief that's starting to get things turned around, and my white honky-ass can drive through without getting shot, so it can't be that bad.

20. Mcoupe

Mcoupe