Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a .357. I have most everything else but no 357 so this is the year to get one. I don't want a snub nose, an auto or something ordinary like a Blackhawk. Love the Blackhawk but you see them everywhere. I want something a bit more unique. It will be a range gun.

I am thinking of a Python or a Korth but a Korth might have to wait another year. What say you? What are some of your favorite 357s?

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Well, since I normally shoot more +P 38spl in my 357's I really love the S&W K-Frames. Are you going to use this gun for CCW or just general shooting/plinking? If you need a good CCW 357Mag then it's hard to be the Ruger SP-101 and you can get it with a 3.06" bbl that will still carry well but give you a bit better sight radius and more control.

There's a new revolver out called the Rhino. Don't know much about em' but they look pretty cool.
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/725
Won't be something you'd see everyday, not sure of the price though.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
If I could afford it I would have a Korth. I would also go for an original Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum. Since I can't, I am quite happy with a late 1950's Model 27 and a Model 28 with some missing finish that sits in a drawer in the kitchen.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Glock 357 SIG,Glock 357 SIG,Glock 357 SIG :embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:

I have never owned a .357. I have most everything else but no 357 so this is the year to get one. I don't want a snub nose, an auto or something ordinary like a Blackhawk. Love the Blackhawk but you see them everywhere. I want something a bit more unique. It will be a range gun.

I am thinking of a Python or a Korth but a Korth might have to wait another year. What say you? What are some of your favorite 357s?

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I had a S&W M-27, 8 3/8" bbl that shot like a house a fire. I cut a 100 round group, off hand at 7 yards that you could cover with a half dollar. Excellent finish, low recoil because of the big N-Frame. Wish I still had that gun. :crying:

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
My GP100 & S&W 686 are both exceptional handguns.

·
Geaux Tigers!
2,253 Posts
Another vote for the K-Frame S&W's.
I have a 66-1 and it is my favorite .357 that I have owned.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Batesmotel, I have been pondering the same idea of getting a .357 lately. Clearly I am no expert but the two I am leaning towards at the moment would be a Colt Python or a S&W 686. Until recently I had my heart set on finding a Python, but something about that 686 with wood grips has me second guessing my initial instincts.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
For a range gun only and for the :cool: factor, get yourself a nice Python, you won't regret it :supergrin:

·
Registered
291 Posts
At the SHOT Show CZ/Dan Wesson were re-releasing the DW 15 (as the 715 now). It is a switch barrel .357. All the old barrel set will still fit it and it will come out with a 6" barrel to start. MSRP is $1000 so we know street prices will be less. Eventually they will release 2", 4:, 8" and 10" barrels to go with the 6".

I, too, have been considering a .357 and am leaning toward the SP101 with 3 1/6" barrel. The DW715 would be a dream, but I'd also settle for a 686+ with a 4" barrel if I found one for the right price.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Range gun only would be the longest barrel stainless GP100 I could find.

Load it with the hottest stuff you can find and it will still outlast you....and your kids kids.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Try to find a first run S&W m66 revolver. Mine always gets lots of attention at the range. It is possibly the best 4" .357mag revolver I have ever held in my hand. You can recognize the first run guns by the all stainless sights.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Ruger stainless GP100 in a 6 inch barrel.

You can buff it to a high gloss finish if you want :rofl:

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I'll recommend these two. Great .357 examples. For strictly range though, the 686 would be better off as a 4" minimum.

·
Geaux Tigers!
2,253 Posts
Smith & Wesson Model 60 Snubnose!
That's the ticket!!

Try to find a first run S&W m66 revolver. Mine always gets lots of attention at the range. It is possibly the best 4" .357mag revolver I have ever held in my hand. You can recognize the first run guns by the all stainless sights.

I LOVE them 66's, especially the ones like yours, mine has the black sights..:crying: (but I still love it!!)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts