close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me out.....

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by NDGlock, Apr 7, 2006.

1. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

I'm getting the itch to get into an "adventure" bike and sell the VTX 1800C.

I'm looking for something with better range and some off-road capability. However, I don't need to do moto-cross w/it:)

I test drove a Tiger...and wasn't all that impressed with it. I'm used to the torque of the VTX 1800 twin...and am looking for something similar.

I was told that V-Stroms have more torque as they are twins.

So, I started looking for adventure twins and came up with this list:

BMW 1200GS
    - nearest dealer is 250 miles away and I've never even sat on one

KTM 990
    - nearest dealer is in town (same dealer carries Triumph)
    - never been on one

Suzuki VSTROM 1000
    - sat on one...liked the ergonomics. Better leg room than Tiger - I'm 6'3" and leg room is a pain.

Triumph Tiger
    - test drove one....not that much pickup off the line. Decent handling...I felt cramped in the legs. It had a crash guard w/highway pegs and even that felt odd. Maybe its because I rode over to test on my VTX and just got off of a forward peg bike. I didn't take the Tiger up to highway speeds though....
    I did like the 6.3 gallon tank and 300 mile range of the Tiger on the open road. I get about 160 miles on my 4.8 gallon tank before filling up.

Honda Transalp
    http://www.bikepics.com/honda/xl650v/05/pics.asp
    http://www.bikepics.com/honda/xl650v/06/pics.asp

[​IMG]

I don't think the Transalp is available in the US, and what a shame! Although, it may be on the small side....I wish Honda would bring a 1200 version to the US...just for me:)

I'm not concerned too much about weight. I handle the 720+ lb VTX just fine. So, a 500 lb adventure bike would be fine.

I'm looking for something w/more range, more clearance and ability to take it off the asphalt on gravel roads and logging roads of MT.

The V-Strom is probably the least off-road capable of the bikes mentioned from what I've read...however it seems to have the best leg-room...although I haven't sat on a KTM 990 yet.

--------------------

Help me out:)

What is your recommendation?

2. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

I have always been underwhelmed by the BMW boxers, even the latest and greatest in the current models. Plus they're deliriously expensive and your dealer is far away.

Buell Ulysses?

And, if you hate yourself and love pain, Aprilia Caponord.

3. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

The V-Strom is more of a dual sport looking road bike. By that I mean, it really isn't supposed to see anything more than a gentle dirt road (no ruts). It is more at home on the highways and streets. Those that I kow that own or have ridden one all say they are great at that respect however.

Of your choices, I would say the KTM. KTM quality and it is pretty darn off-road capable for it's size.

4. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

5. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The KTM 990 won't be available until probably next year. Something about not yet able to get the EPA emission thing qualified. However, the 950 Adventure is there for the taking. I've seen some really good deals on these things because KTM is trying to clear out the inventory to make room for the 990. The only difference between these two bikes is primarily the fuel injection on the 990 and carb on the 950. From what I've read in the British bike mags, there really isn't any performance gain other than more oomph at the mid range for the 990 and road performances are about the same.

For me, if money isn't an issue then it would come down to either the KTM or the BMW. None of the other bikes are even in the same league. I want more offroad performance so that's why I'm going to wait for the 990 (no fooling around with carburators for me). If you want a bike that can do some decent offroad yet thrill you in the canyons, then try the BMW. You won't believe how well that GS can corner, semi-knobby tires and all.