Help me - Laptop Purchase

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Spen84107, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Spen84107

Spen84107

I'm shopping for laptops right now. I've heard so many different opinions my head is spinning. Buy Dell.. they're great, good customer service, blah blah blah. Forget that, buy IBM, they are TANKS! Both are too expensive, go with a Toshiba..

SO.. I finally decided the best way would be to get advice from you guys. My purchase range is right around 1300. The only requirement I really have is I'd like wireless. Its primary function will be school with a secondary function work. (The IT department is going to set it up to access my work computer from my laptop) I also plan on using photoshop for small projects.

What would you buy?

;4

2. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

A lot of my clients opt for Dell, and they certainly do what their supposed to with little problems. Most people at my company prefer IBM Thinkpads. They are durable little computers and we have ZERO problems with them.

I have a Toshiba Portege M205, which is a tablet PC. However, what it amounts to is a really small and light laptop with more oomph!!! then a lot of the big guys. 60GB HD, 512MB RAM, etc. However, it was $2400 before the rebates brought it down to about $2100.

If you go easy on HD space, memory, processor, and additional software then you MIGHT be able to get down to $1300 with a Dell or IBM, but most we wind up buying are in the $1700 to $2500 range, depending on what's in them.

Hope this helps.

3. Spen84107

Spen84107

Thanks mzenzer. What do you think of used laptops? Would it be better to go bare-bones new or buy a used laptop? Or is it smarter to just stay away from used laptops all together?

So much money for a poor college student..... It's tempting just to scratch it and buy a few guns. :)

;)

4. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

5. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

For our techs we bought some used (refurbished) laptops from Dell about a year ago. We had to send one back, but the rest have been fine. If possible I'd go new, though. It's all about the warranty, too. You don't want you LCD going out on you with no warranty, it's pretty much the bulk of the cost of a laptop. If you can afford it, get a 3 year warranty, if not, at least get a year to protect against obvious manafacturing defects that don't show themselves for a few months.

6. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

Go to this link and checkout the Thinkpad R-series. Most of what we have around here are this model. They've always performed well for us. Just so you know, I'm the head of IT at my company, which is an IT service providor. I'd know if these things were crapping out, believe me.;f

A lot of people prefer IBM's due to their construction. Dell's can seem cheaply made at times.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&storeId=1&categoryId=2035724

7. Ripper_1394

Ripper_1394 Need a Ride?

You may want to even consider a compaq. I have a Presario 2500, and I really like it. I even ended up giving my Dell Latitude to my wife.

This isn't too bad of a deal.

Compaq Presario R3000T
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/

price $1,302.00 *
    mail-in rebate − $30.00
    price after rebate $1,272.00
    you saved 2.3%

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.80 GHz
    Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional-only $49!!
    Display 15.0" TFT XGA (1024 x 768)
    Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9000 IGP
    Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM (2x256MB)
    Hard Drive FREE Upgrade from 40GB to 60GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    Networking FREEUpgradeto54g(TM) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN !!
    Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Office 2003 Basic
    Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

8. Stanze

Stanze

I bought a Dell 1100 a few months ago for around $1200. I like it.

If I had $1300 to spend I'd get this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...P1nZGyEHV/1.0.9.1.0.6.25.1.1.21.3.1.1.0?45,11

After I got my laptop I started wanting a more powerful graphics card, a brighter sharper LCD and smaller size/lighter weight. These usually cost more than $1300 though.

If I was going to get another Dell, I'd probably get this: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_700m?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Mainly for it's size and weight to carry around all day.

9. Spen84107

Spen84107

Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it. Still havent' made a decision.. It's hard to justify 2000 bucks.. but I'm worried that if I spend too little.. it'll be problem after problem...

10. berniew

berniew Liberty

My observations after working for over 5 years for a company that has purchased *mainly* laptops (IBM, Dell, Toshiba) for users is that all of the major players have "lemon" batches in all of their lines, and that a crappy desktop will run problem free much longer than a good laptop.

A less than 1% failure rate doesn't help if you happen to be that "less than 1%"!

The advice below was sound.

11. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

Dell would be my first choice. But if your looking for something cheaper, look into Sager, and maybe HP. I'm in the market for a new lap top myself, but i get mine for free:cool: