Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
that costs $1000 or there abouts?? I have got some $$$ coming and ive been thinking of all kinds of "Dream Guns" id like to have. I have a small list of Pistols,Revolvers, and center fire "Battle Rifles" id like to get/look at. This will most likely be a once in a lifetime deal for me..im normally budgeted $400-450 or less a year for a gun purchase...this time will probably be the ONLY time im EVER able to spend $1000 on a single gun so I want it to "count". I currently own a CC handgun(well 2 actually) in a Ruger SR9c and a Taurus CH85 so I have CC covered. I dont currently own a revolver thats not a snubby or a .22lr, I own 1 single shot H&R varmint rifle in .223, and a shotgun 870 turkey special that since I dont hunt turkey anymore I turned into a HD shotgun...so my list of what ive been thinking of goes kinda like this:

Pistols: HK P7, HK USP, Kimber .45, Springfield EMP or .45, or some nice 1911 platform these are all "dream" pistols ive wanted but will never have $$ for except for this deal...anything else you guys can think of im leaving off or should look at? it would be a .45 or 9mm .

Revolvers: Ive always wanted to get another nice Revolver for target shooting. something 6" or less(4-6") in .357 magnum only. Something I could use for a closest to bullseye type deal competition. ive seen several customs and all were about $800-1100 give or take.

Shotguns: Ive always thought about getting one of those Saigas(probably spelled that wrong lol) to modify(or just buy a already moded one) I just thought they were cool.

Regular Rifle: Ive often thought of just getting a nice bolt action or single shot varmint gun to "replace" the H&R single shot I have..something nice in .223/.204/.22-250/.243 for doing some woodchuck shooting ive thought a nice savage with that accutrigger and the new accu stock may be nice or even a good Ruger No. 1 rifle.

semi automatic "Battle Rifle": man I had passed on one of these for a long time because other than just to have one I cant do anything with it but admire it and plink at the range with it because of PA's horrible no semi autos for hunting rule...if I could use one for varmint hunting id already have a AR platform for varmint hunting but since I cant my list pretty much goes

AR Platform, AK Platform, G3 clone type, M14 clone type, M1 Garand, SKS, anything else im missing thats worth looking at...

9MMCarbine/SMG clone:Oh and as a fun but cost effective measure ive been looking at 9MM carbine/SMG clones at least then I could stick with 9mm rounds which are cheap. stuff like say a MP5 clone, a Beretta Storm 9mm, or some other 9mm SMG type gun I dont even know exists but is in the price range...I see you guys post cool stuff all the time I never knew was out there!

. No matter what I get this will be one of those ONCE IN A LIFETIME type of guns...I will never have $1000 to spend on a gun ever again(most likely) so this will be my one "big ticket" item that I can spend that kind of $$$ on....what would you suggest?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, this is a decision only you can make. But I think I should discourage you from buying the Saiga.
1. You do have a very good shotgun with the 870. Actually, I think its one of the best shotties out there.
2. Shotgun ammo is expensive. And the biggest fun factor with a Saiga is its fast action and ability to be modded, both things that will cause additional costs. Often these are higher than the price of the gun was.
3. Saigas seem to be hit and miss. A friend of mine purchased one that has never ever had a failure, no matter what he used it with and no matter who shot it. Then I bought one and.... well, every mag had at least one FTE. Again: no matter what ammo or who fired it. Reoprts about the gun seem to indicate that tis is more rule than exeption.

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
My take on your choices,

Handguns, I've shot and carried handguns for a long time, I've been through lots of 1911's and a P7M8 and I think both are way over rated. I don't own any of them anymore. Revolvers aren't used for Bullseye competitions any more. But a nice S+W 4" to 6" S+W 686 or Ruger GP100 should be in everyone's gun safe. But you can find used ones for your normal $450 a year gun budget.

Shotguns, your 870 will do everything you need a shotgun to do. Unless you are really into the clay bird games and then a nice over under or semi auto would be a good choice. But since you aren't doing that I say stick with your 870 and don't spend the money on another shotgun.

Rifles, Now we are getting to something I think you should be looking at spending $1,000 on. Since you aren't a big game hunter your H+R .223 will work just fine for wood chucks I wouldn't get another hunting rifle. Besides hunting rifles are easily found for the $450 of your normal gun buying budget.

I think what you should spend your $1,000 on is a quality AR15. See if you can stretch that $1,000 to $1,100 or $1,200. If you don't know what to do with it, spend another $150 and get a .22LR conversion kit for it. Lots of cheap plinking fun.

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this is a decision only you can make. But I think I should discourage you from buying the Saiga.
1. You do have a very good shotgun with the 870. Actually, I think its one of the best shotties out there.
2. Shotgun ammo is expensive. And the biggest fun factor with a Saiga is its fast action and ability to be modded, both things that will cause additional costs. Often these are higher than the price of the gun was.
3. Saigas seem to be hit and miss. A friend of mine purchased one that has never ever had a failure, no matter what he used it with and no matter who shot it. Then I bought one and.... well, every mag had at least one FTE. Again: no matter what ammo or who fired it. Reoprts about the gun seem to indicate that tis is more rule than exeption.

id heard that about the FTE stuff also.....its probably the one thats lowest on my list

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My take on your choices,

Handguns, I've shot and carried handguns for a long time, I've been through lots of 1911's and a P7M8 and I think both are way over rated. I don't own any of them anymore. Revolvers aren't used for Bullseye competitions any more. But a nice S+W 4" to 6" S+W 686 or Ruger GP100 should be in everyone's gun safe. But you can find used ones for your normal $450 a year gun budget.

Shotguns, your 870 will do everything you need a shotgun to do. Unless you are really into the clay bird games and then a nice over under or semi auto would be a good choice. But since you aren't doing that I say stick with your 870 and don't spend the money on another shotgun.

Rifles, Now we are getting to something I think you should be looking at spending $1,000 on. Since you aren't a big game hunter your H+R .223 will work just fine for wood chucks I wouldn't get another hunting rifle. Besides hunting rifles are easily found for the $450 of your normal gun buying budget.

I think what you should spend your $1,000 on is a quality AR15. See if you can stretch that $1,000 to $1,100 or $1,200. If you don't know what to do with it, spend another $150 and get a .22LR conversion kit for it. Lots of cheap plinking fun.
Well I was thinking of the revolver as you said just to have one(i had a 686 when I was on the police Dept back in 1990 they were just swtiching over to the 9mm Glocks but we never got that far b4 they laid off all the full time guys to hire part time guys(dont have to pay them benefits) They have a local competition its sorta like bullseye you shoot from 3/7/15/25 yards at a target..get points for closest to middle....the guys that normally win it are the guys with revolvers...one guy came real close with a .38 super 1911 platform but still got beat out by the revolver guy...and his revolver isnt anything "special" its a police trade in 686 :)

Ive often thought of the AR and its decently high on the list.

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about a true classic like a Colt Python?

You won't find a better looking, more accurate revolver. Plus, the value will keep going up.

You can still get a 4" blued model in nice shape for a grand. They're the most common and generally the least expensive to purchase.

That said, I think they're my favorite. :)

yes, ive been thinking of one of those or the 686 S&W(they just had a review of a competition model in a magazine that looked great and shot great and was around the same price) I really like those.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That makes it easier. Since you've already got some pistols I would go for a Rem 700 in .308 because that kind of rifle in .223 just doesn't make sense to me and you do already have a .223.
On the other hand everybody should have a quality handgun and a good 1911 never is a bad idea. Same applies for a quality Revolver in .357mag.

I wouldn't go for the HK USP because - while it certainly is a great gun - there are some that at least equal its quality and sure as hell are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It all depends on your dream. Dreams change with time and different people have different dreams.

Close your eyes...the gun that will come to your mind is the one you want and should get.

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That makes it easier. Since you've already got some pistols I would go for a Rem 700 in .308 because that kind of rifle in .223 just doesn't make sense to me and you do already have a .223.
On the other hand everybody should have a quality handgun and a good 1911 never is a bad idea. Same applies for a quality Revolver in .357mag.

I wouldn't go for the HK USP because - while it certainly is a great gun - there are some that at least equal its quality and sure as hell are a lot cheaper.
I just dont know about a rem 700 in .308...what would I ever use it for.... at least the other rifles would just at least be cool to own...I dont know what id do with a 700 in .308....????it would just sit in the closet..I cant see it having a high "fun factor" like some of the others would have...I dont even know why id ever shoot one..I dont hunt but for woodchucks...that rifle in .223 would at least be used for hunting woodchucks and get used...so I dont think a 700 in .308 would be high on my list.

now I did see they are reproducing the 1903 in a sniper version for $900 bucks...that at least would be cool to own :)

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It all depends on your dream. Dreams change with time and different people have different dreams.

Close your eyes...the gun that will come to your mind is the one you want and should get.
what happens when I do that is the HKp7, S&W 668, Colt Python,AR platform,and the 1911 platform lol....then I start thinking you know with a 9mm SMG knockoff I could shoot a LOT more and have more fun so then I think I want that...then I think a M1 Garand would be cool and a part of history..and a M14 even cooler lol...just so many I want its hard to make up my mind as to which one I want most :)

·
Registered
127,852 Posts
yes, ive been thinking of one of those or the 686 S&W(they just had a review of a competition model in a magazine that looked great and shot great and was around the same price) I really like those.
The 686 is a great revolver, but I'd never pay all that for a new S&W.

You can get an older classic 686 for half that.

...and without the stupid lock. :tongueout:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
MSAR bullpup

·
Registered
127,852 Posts

·
Registered
34,630 Posts
I say buy a good rifle with a good scope. That seems to be the hole in your collection. Like some sort of bolt gun in your prefered caliber. IF it is just going to be for punching paper go with .223 because you already have one and it is cheap. If you might get into long range shooting or hunting go .308.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I say get a PTR91 and scope it some time in the near future.

·
Floyd
3,569 Posts
I'd get a nice 357 revolver. Preferably without a lock.

·
Registered
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 58 Posts