close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me find a bike in Iowa!! I'm ready to buy and can't find one!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by lilslyk, Apr 13, 2006.

1. lilslyk

lilslyk

I'm really not picky. I sold my '95 FZR600 when I left California in December and haven't been able to find a bike here in Iowa since. Here's what I'm going for:

~600cc
    ~sport bike OR sv650 style
    ~less than $3500, less is better
    ~Mileage below 20,000
    ~well maintained
    ~not a lot of work to be done right away (Unless it's a good deal)

Ideally I'd like to spend between 1500 and 2000, but to get a nice 2001 SV (my first choice) I would have to spend $3,000 +/- a few hundred.

Here are the places I check on a regular basis:
    eBay
    Cycletrader
    Recycler (not much good in iowa)
    Local newspaper classifieds
    cheggpost (local swap board)
    svrider.com

I'd like it to be as close as possible to Ames, Iowa!

LMK if you guys find or hear of anything... mattslyk@iastate.edu is the best form of communication.

Thanks for the help!

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What's wrong with buying it out of state and bring it in? Ideally you should buy one in Iowa but if you can't find one there, buy from somewhere else. One way shipping should be no more than $500.

3. lilslyk

lilslyk

Actually I am more than open to that. The problem is that I can't find anything within 250 miles...though maybe I will stretch that search out further...

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There are two small shops in the Los Angeles area that I personally know. They have for sales various used bikes that don't look too hot but entirely serviceable.

http://www.moombacyclesports.com/ Call & talk to either Shawn or Jimmy.

http://www.2wheeltuning.net/ Call & talk to Eric, Jeff or Chad.

Tell them that HT sends you. Let them know what you're looking for and how much. They just may have something in their stables that fit your budget.

Also contact http://www.acatransport.com/ for a quote on delivery. They shipped my bike from Albuquerque, NM to Fontana, CA (800-miles) for $250.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

www.roadtrackandtrail.com will ship any bike for like 450 bucks anywhere in the states. Though you could drive there, as it's not too far. They keep their inventory on cycletrader.com, but it's not up to date.

I went there friday to buy a bike and according to their online inventory, they had 8 or 9 of the bike I wanted. I get there and they had NONE. You'd do good to call them, and ask what they have.

I know they had a couple SV650s in the price range you wanted. Specifically there was an '01 SV, had a dent on the right side of the tank, a small scrape on the side "fairing" under the seat, and the ball on the end of the front brake lever broken off. It did have pretty low miles, I can't remember exactly how many. They were asking 3999 for it but I'd bet you could get it for your price range.

They knocked over 700 off the price of the bike I bought because of a couple small cracks on one side of the fairing.

They do have a HUGE selection of bikes. I'd say there were around 300 or so used sportbikes there.
    Oh yeah, and the salespeople don't strike me as the typical dirtbags.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Not knowing where you reside in Iowa, you may wanna check the various newspaper websites within a particular radius. I bought my bike in St. Joe, MO and I'm in Lincoln, NE thru Ebay, but checked out listings regionally.

7. ZZR guy

ZZR guy

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I "believe" that last August/Sept. or so when I was looking for my bike, that Vart who may live nearby, had an old goldwing, sans the farings etc. You might wanna PM him if it's something you may be interested in. I did a search to find the old thread but couldn't find it.

9. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

i live in south dakota. i've bought 2 bikes out of state. Florida and california and with the money i saved on them it was more then enough money to cover S&H. www.haulbikes.com awesome customer service. Sometimes they have deals on their shipping. the bike from florida cost me $200, the one from california $400, of course with gas prices now days, prolly wont' get that good of deal :(.

Matt