Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
1. I have a S&W 686P classic with 4" barrel. It's a great gun and I absolutely love it. However, I've long wanted to pick up a double action 44mag with a 4" to 5" barrel for a sidearm due to the number of moose I'm around.
2. I was leaning towards a S&W 629 because I like my S&W 686P so much.
3. I hear the ruger is the better option durability wise for hot heavy hardcast rounds. (Is it a bad idea to shoot these loads in a 629 as long as they are within SAMMI max pressure spec.) I want to be able to practice with and load hot heavy rounds for protection but do not plan to shoot them all the time.

Which gun should I get?

1. Ruger Redhawk 44mag 4.2" barrel
2. Smith and Wesson 629 4" barrel
3. Smith and Wesson 629" classic 5" barrel (full underlug)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ruger.

·
Registered
552 Posts
1. S & W 629 4”
2. Ruger Redhawk

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A 629 should be okay IMHO with heavy hardcast loads as long as they are within SAAMI specs and you're not feeding the gun a constant diet of them.

If you're like me, you'll end up shooting a lot more midrange loads - for example 250 gr cast SWC at 1000 to 1100 fps- than super hot magnum stuff.

If not, then go with the Redhawk. Don't know the weight difference but it seems to me a little heavier to lug around, but definitely more robust.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I have absolutely no expertise in this area, but this is the internet where everyone is a cyber-expert. Is this gun just for moose/dangerous animal protection? Why not a .454 Cassul or .460 S&W?

·
Why so serious?
65,919 Posts
S&W 629 Mountain Gun

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have absolutely no expertise in this area, but this is the internet where everyone is a cyber-expert. Is this gun just for moose/dangerous animal protection? Why not a .454 Cassul?
1. That would be the purpose I want it for. Yes. Moose and black bear primarily.
2. I've shot a ruger blackhawk 44mag with a 6" barrel and really enjoyed it. I could make good hits with it at reasonable distance and the recoil was enjoyable and quite manageable for me. I've wanted a 44mag ever since. I've considered the 454/45lc revolvers but the 44mag is what I want.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S&W 629 Mountain Gun

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk
I've thought about it but I want something that weighs a little more to tame the recoil some. I want to enjoy practicing with it. It would be nicer to carry. Same with the model 69 combat magnum.

·
SAF
10,614 Posts
I have a S&W 29 Classic, 5" full lug I bought around 1989 and wearing that sucker on a hike gets me walking cockeyed after a while. I can run faster without it......

·
woo woo
31,153 Posts
I wouldnt choose the S&W for heavy hardcast hotter ammo just because it'll hurt and the cylinders arent great for accommodating longer heavier bullets. You'll probably welcome a slightly larger heavier Ruger for that.
That said, I love my 3" 629-5 and feel like most factory 240-270gr loads are sufficiently powerful for my needs.

·
NRA Life Member
29,332 Posts
I have a 629 that I occasionally shoot in ICORE matches just for S's and G's; no heavy loads though. It is a very accurate gun.

It’s always fun to hear someone say “ WTF was that ? “ after I touch the first few off at the beginning of the match.

.44mag.jpg
,44nag_1.jpg

EDIT: Pics added

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The Model 29 and its progeny are slick, elegant and very accurate revolvers. But for really heavy loads I would go with the Redhawk. You'll need to shoot a lot of them to become proficient and the Redhawk will handle it without complaint.

·
Why so serious?
65,919 Posts
I've thought about it but I want something that weighs a little more to tame the recoil some. I want to enjoy practicing with it. It would be nicer to carry. Same with the model 69 combat magnum.
Shooting only double action vs single action takes the sting/bite out of it for me.

Ymmv

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
The Model 29 and its progeny are slick, elegant and very accurate revolvers. But for really heavy loads I would go with the Redhawk. You'll need to shoot a lot of them to become proficient and the Redhawk will handle it without complaint.
^this
I abused the heck out of my Ruger Super blackhawk with heavy loads and it never gave me an issue other than shearing the ejector rod cover screw which was an easy fix. The Redhawk will have no issues with heavy loads either. The S&Ws are prettier but the Rugers are more durable.

·
Registered
19,639 Posts
I've shot a ruger blackhawk 44mag with a 6" barrel and really enjoyed it. I could make good hits with it at reasonable distance and the recoil was enjoyable and quite manageable for me. I've wanted a 44mag ever since.
It may be that part of the reason that you actually enjoyed shooting the gun is because it is heavy (45 oz).
The weight mitigates the recoil somewhat.
I have two 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawks. One in .44 Magnum and one in .357 Magnum (49 oz). I shoot the .357 a lot because it is much easier to resist the urge to flinch when I practice with it. For the same reason, I load down my .44 Magnum rounds (to about 1,000 fps).

http://chronosscifi.com/ruger357GridJS.html

1 - 20 of 52 Posts