Help me decide which branch to join

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by bigbadglock, Oct 9, 2005.

1. bigbadglock

bigbadglock

I want to go into the military but can't decide which branch. I am considering either joining the Army and becoming a Ranger or joining the Marines and becoming a Force Recon Marine. In your opinion, which one would be the best choice and why.

Thanks for the help.

2. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

The Navy!

PM me if you have any specific questions about the Navy.

LBTRS

3. April

April Lifetime Member

I'd say that it really depends on what you're wanting to do. What kind of missions do you want to be a part of? Which service "stirs your soul" more? There are also Special Operations folks in the Air Force and Navy as well. Ever hear of Air Combat Controllers or Pararescue? How about the SEALs? Air Combat Controllers are in the AF but most often are attached to other SF units to call in air strikes and the like.

I'm sure there are a few Rangers, as well as a few other SF-ers around the board that can tell you all you'd want to know. I'm partial to Army, but that's just me. And my husband is currently AF and prior service Navy and Army.

Getting back to the question: The best choice would be the one that makes your heart beat a little harder. Whatever your choice, thank you for volunteering to serve. Not everyone is able to follow that path.

Hooah! or Oo-rah! (whichever you decide)

4. bigbadglock

bigbadglock

What kinds are there?

5. KNEESINTHEBREEZ

KNEESINTHEBREEZ Got Silk?

If you'd like information on Special Operations jobs in all branches, go here:
    http://www.armyparatrooper.org

There are members from all branches and Spec Ops backgrounds over there. You'll be able to read a lot of information on different Spec Ops jobs and ask any questions you may have.

6. dsgb610

dsgb610

THE NAVY IVE BEEN IN FOR ABOUT 16 MONTHS AND IM AN E4, PLUS IF YOU WNAT TO GET INTO SPECIAL FORCES THEY HAVE AT LEAST 6 OR 7 TO CHOSE FROM AND NOT TO MENTION IVE BEEN TO 6 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES AND 5 DIFFERENT STATES. NT TO BAD FOR SOMEONE IN HIGH SCHOOL 2 YEARS AGO...;a :cool:

7. dsgb610

dsgb610

THE NAVY IVE BEEN IN FOR ABOUT 16 MONTHS AND IM AN E4, PLUS IF YOU WNAT TO GET INTO SPECIAL FORCES THEY HAVE AT LEAST 6 OR 7 TO CHOSE FROM AND NOT TO MENTION IVE BEEN TO 6 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES AND 5 DIFFERENT STATES. NT TO BAD FOR SOMEONE IN HIGH SCHOOL 2 YEARS AGO...;a :cool:

8. KNEESINTHEBREEZ

KNEESINTHEBREEZ Got Silk?

;g

9. K_Knight159

K_Knight159 FOLLOW ME!

Do what i did when i joined. Talk to every branch of recruiters and make a sound decision based on what you want and whats availble for you. All branches of military have there perks and weakness the others don't.

Ended up joining the Army. But that was my choice. You decide whats good for you. Congrats on volunteering to serve your country. Less and less people out there willing to make that sacriface anymore.

10. Decguns

Decguns

You may be able to get a tour of military bases via your local recruiters. If you're still in NC, you have Fort Bragg and Pope AFB in Fayette-Nam... Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville... Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro... etc...

Every service is a little bit different.

It's hard to say who is the cream of the crop when it comes to special operations. Normally, the Air Force's Pararescue/Combat Controllers and the Navy SEALs get ranked as the most difficult.

11. reconvic

reconvic Recon Marine

First off good taste lol.
    I was Recon not Force Recon and it is a min. of 6 years if you can
    beat all the others trying to get a chance to try to make it.
    Second all the services as was pointed out are good, bottom line
    your choice now and good luck in whatever your MOS will be just be the best you can be at whatever.
    Semper Fi
    Vic

12. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Combat is a rush but it leaves memories. The units you want in on are tough, mentally tough enough to take a human life w/o any hesitation from combat to assassinations. The training you will receive is top notch and you'll have a combination of action and alerts that don't happen.

I liked the rush and went into law enforcement and thrived being on the edge - to an extent I still do, but now I realize there are limitations. Your personality and mine are probably very different and if you are considering any type of law enforcement I'd take a strong look at the Coast GUard. Very involved in drug interdiction along with Search and Rescue and you'll get a lot of college assistance money. The Coast Guard is small so you'll get a lot of responsibility early on - maybe even your own boat. (I was navy and had my own boats - kinda kewl).

Get a BS degree and work for a federal agency and it'll make for a good solid career. :)

Adios,
    Bob

13. phrogs forever

phrogs forever

US Marine Recon are not part of SOCOM. They have a DET to them called MC SOCOM Det1. Myself, being a Marine, my choice is bias.

14. semperfiostoj

semperfiostoj Brutal Candor

You don't really expect an unbiased response do you? ;)

Like others have said, any branch you ultimately decide on is an honorable choice. But before joining any branch because of how hard their SF guys are, I'd be concerned about getting through recruit training first. Another thing I might add is that you may want to sit down and make sure you're ready for the type of committment that comes with the SF territory. It's not all glory; there'll be grueling arduous training, a lot of time away from home/family, and I know that Recon Marines pretty much get kicked in the testicles for a year or two until they gain some rank and experience. But if you're up to the challenge it'll be the tightest bond you'll most likely ever experience in your entire life.

Anyways, +1 for the Marine Corps ;f
    Although I did see this special on the Discovery Channel called "Rescue Warriors" about the AF Pararescue guys that gave me a renewed respect for the flyboys. MOTIVATING!

15. ShootNMove

ShootNMove concealed

Army has a lot of 'special forces'.

Marines are all 'special operations capable'.

Air Force does their physical fitness tests on a bicycle.

Navy has SEALs, EOD, and SWCC.

Whatever you go into, you better be in great shape and have the mentality of a rottweiler.

Every Marine I know is hardcore. On the other hand, Navy SEALs train a lot more than they operate. I wouldn't consider the Army simply b/c they have the worst quality of life. Myself, I'm Navy. If I was going to join a branch to get good training and some trigger time, I'd go Marines any day of the week. They solve problems with highly trained personnel. While the Army tends to throw numbers at a problem if you see what I mean. You'll notice that I'm not really elaborating on the Air Force...

16. semperfiostoj

HEY NOW, they stopped doing that a while ago. Now they have to run 1.5 miles in under 21:30 so leave them damn flyboys alone ;z

17. Andrew Tacquard

Andrew Tacquard

Talk to all the recruiters 1st. Take your ASVAB and see what MOS you qualify for in the different services. Try to talk to individuals in an MOS you are interested in. Look at several options. You might not make the recon cut, ranger cut, SEAL cut, etc. SOCOM and the Marine Corps are talking about getting a permanent spot for Marines. But as already stated all Marine are SF capable (or so we think). Also, look at how the different forces operate. Being a Marine you will always be a rifle man first no matter what you do from the Commandant down the newest PFC. We all learn how to shoot and conduct basic infantry skills. Many logistics, comm, and other typically non-combat arms Marines are used as infantry units in country. If needed any Marine will be able to perform basic infantry skills (you will train infantry skills in your MOS while in the fleet no matter what your job, except maybe some air wing Marines). In addition the Marine Corps really focuses on pushing leadership down to the lowest level. The ratio of officers to enlisted is significantly lower than any other branch. It is based on maneuver warfare. Which basically says the an order is given based on what higher needs to get done and not how. The lower level unit leaders make decisions and execute orders based on why and not how. The Marine Corps really depends on leadership in the enlisted ranks. With all that comes probably the worse life style. The bases usually suck, the equipment is old and sucks, you will deploy many times, you are always training, they have the longest run on the PFT, you hump alot (hike with a ton of gear in your pack), have the lowest funding (the Marine Corps gets whats left over from the Navy), etc. But all that doesn't matter to any Marine, you are a Marine and that is all that matters. I don't know how the Army works as far infantry skills across the board. I am pretty sure the AF doesn't do that and I know the Navy doesn't operate that way. But you might find something you'd like to do for those services.

A went to TBS with a couple prior Recon guys (force and recon). They both had done and seen alot. They do more than just recon. Force goes deeper into enemy lines than recon. They both talk about doing alot of building clearing stuff. The recon Marine had done some intel type stuff. Dressed as civilian, new arabic, grew a beard and was in country gathering intel from the EN. The force guy talked about going 400-600 miles behind EN lines to do some secret squirrel crap. Also I think both were HALO qualed. Both of them had some crazy stories. But again all Marines are SF capable. I think the unit that rescued Scott O'Grady (downed AF pilot) was artillery with a MEU that was close.

I know a couple rangers but really don't know what they do. I was told from an Army infantry soldier that they are basically infantry with more training. There are alot of them compared to SF type so not quite as specialized, but still pretty hard. Basically he said they are on the front lines of the main fighting force for the Army or work with SF to provide a larger fighting force. Tip of the spear for the Army for the main battle, but not the guys who typically are doing the recon type stuff behind EN lines. Maybe a ranger could tell you more, because this is all second hand from an Army regular inf soldier.

S/F
    Andrew

18. OutintheWoods

OutintheWoods

Just a whole lot more opportunity in the Army, alot bigger budget, more bases, etc.....

Alot smaller feeling atmosphere in the Marines.

But considering the moronic situation in Washington, if I had to do it today, I'd join the Coast Guard, or better yet go to college first instead. Then you'd have alot more bargaining power and options.

And that way you wont have to go to Iraq and act as IED and sniper fodder. That is, unless the recruiting situation gets far worse, or unless you want too.

19. bigbadglock

bigbadglock

What is the difference between Recon and Force Recon.

Thanks

20. semperfiostoj

Same MOS, different missions. "Battalion" Recon is in support of the Ground Combat Element of a Marine Air Ground Task Force, while Force Recon is in support of the Command Element of the MAGTF. Both are hardasses and equally respectable but Force Recon does more of the high speed stuff that is typically associated with "special operations".

If you truly plan on trying to go Recon, I'd suggest you start getting in shape. Max score for a Marine Corps PFT consists of 20 pullups, 100 crunches in 1 minute, and 3 miles in 18 minutes. To attend Recon Indoc, it's recommended that the Marine trying out can score at least a 285 which consists of 20 pullups, 100 crunches, 3 miles in 20:30. You also need to start swimming, A LOT. Being comfortable in the water is where a lot of Marines fail when trying out. Practice swimming and treading water with a 10 pound weight and work up your cardiovascular endurance. But bottom line, you need to make it through boot camp first. Your best chance is enlisting as infantry, and trying out if given the opportunity. The Marine Corps doesn't recruit people into "Special Forces" like the Navy and Army, as you need to prove yourself first. Once you get through boot camp and the School of Infantry, then you may be given the opportunity to try out if you're a stellar Marine.

Just to give you an idea, on the first day of indoc you can expect to run a full PFT, followed up with timed swimming events, a couple runs of the obstacle course, a run with full combat load, and another PFT at the end of the day. And completing that in itself doesn't guarantee anything. Then you're expected to interview with a Recon team leader to tell them why you belong with the elite. If you make it, it's more training in supervised environments (much like boot camp again), time away from home, more training, and some more training. But the prestige of being the best, and the brotherhood with your fellow Marines is unlike anything else. Nothing comes close.

So anyways, start beating the **** out of your body now so you're ready when the time comes. ;f