close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me decide 17 vs 34

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AR15 guy, Nov 3, 2012.

1. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

I currently have a g26 and a g19, and I am wanting a full size for competition use. Usually this decision is a no brainier, but I'm on a budget.

I already have a pro-series IDPA approved blade tech holster for a g17, plus I also have a extended slide release already.

I'm thinking the g17 could be a better option since all I would really need to make then fairly equal would be a lighter connector. I want to add fiber optic sights to either, so starting with the cheaper g17 seems like it may be a more practical option.

2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Looks like you've already figured out which model you're going to get :) If you're going to go with a F/O front sight, I'd get the measurements from the vendor first. There's a cutout on the slide toward the front sight on the G34, and you may end up with a sight hanging over the void on that model.

I've got both, and to be honest, I really like the G34. I picked it up before I went with the G17 when I had to decide which full-size frame 9X19 Glock I was going to get. I ended up with the G17 on a trade later on.

Both are excellent pistols, but it seems like you're already equipped to roll with a G17.

3. troysglock

troysglock Member

The 34 is a better shooter as far as accuracy, recoil, etc.. I shot the 17 competitively for long time and found the 34 bit longer in the draw. Tough call, I go 17 seems faster for me to get on target. But the 34 is so nice to shoot.

4. Thumper

Thumper

Your thought process seems sound to me. My grandson shoots Glocks in IDPA. He started with the 17 and loved it. Later we found a very good used 34 and now he is shooting it. Both 17 & 34 have TFO's and he loves 'em.

Good Luck and enjoy shooting IDPA.

5. firstg19

firstg19

sounds like you want the 17. go that route, you are going to see many benefits for both, but it seems a lot of it is personal preference as there really isnt a whole lot of difference between the two, especially once you upgrade the 17's trigger

6. oldman11

oldman11

They both use the same frame, just a different upper.

7. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

You can't go wrong either way, but having shot both I go with the G34 I like the balance and it is so fast to get back on sights for multiple shot strings.

8. JonInWA

JonInWA

There's really no wrong decision to be made here-I have both guns, and have shot matches (IDPA and GSSF primarily, along with steel plate matches with the G17) well with both. While I'd give the G34 a slight edge, the fact is that the original poster is simply better set up at this time for the G17, and has stated that he's budget-conscious, so I'd suggest that he go with that, and spend his savings on training, matches, and ammunition.

And, incidentally, while I have both "-" and "." connectors, the OEM standard connector/standard trigger spring combination was so good in my G17 from the get-go that (after lubrication with TW25B) I've chosen to leave well enough alone in the thousands of rounds following.

Best, Jon

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

I'd go with the 34 which already has the connector and extended mag release. I personally shoot the long slides better than the regular length barrel guns. I think the longer sight radius is beneficial for accuracy, at least for me. The FO front sight will fit with some overhang. I don't think it's a big deal. I know the G17 would work well also, I just prefure the G34.

10. albinlee

albinlee

11. sig357fan

sig357fan

before you drop your hard earned on another pistol, why not try your G19 in an IDPS match first.

see if it will fit your holster and give it a try, after all IDPA is a defence pistol game and the G19 is considered one of the best defence pistols around.

just sayin'

sig357fan

12. JonInWA

JonInWA

Excellent points-I've also done quite well with my G19s in IDPA and GSSF-they index quite naturally and quickly, and accuracy is excellent also.

Best, Jon

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I'd get a 3rd Gen G17 for sure.

14. mdpbowtech

mdpbowtech

I agree with sig357fan. Try your 19 first. I have read numerous posts of people saying that they actually shoot there 19 better than there 17 or 34. I have had all 3 and the only 1 I have left is the 19. Granted im not a serious competitive shooter so I cant compare the guns that way.

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

This was my first thought, too. :cool:

16. davsco

davsco

suggest you get a gen 4 g34. the gen 4 has a grippier grip. the 34 will give you a little longer sight radius. it WILL work in your g17 holster, the muzzle will just stick out a little. i have warren/sevigny competition wide notch rear and fiber optic front sights on all my glocks and they work great.

per the 2011 idpa equipment survey, g34's outweighed g17's by roughly 10%. so you probably won't go wrong either way. but since you already have a 19 i'd say go up two steps to the 34.

17. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

My holster will not work with a 34, it is actually closed off at the bottom, but I may take a dremel to it.

I have been using my 19 in USPSA and idpa, BUT I want to modify my competition gun. My 19 gets carried semi-regularly, and I do not want to do any trigger mods or anything to it.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

I like the G34 better than the G17- it just seems better balanced to me- and if I had known then what I know now I would have two of them and no G17. But I probably will pick something different for dinner than someone else. From what I have read some people do well or better with a G19 than the bigger versions and more than a few people here have suggested they shoot the G26 better than its bigger 9mm brothers too.

19. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I have to go against the trend here. Any time I have compromised on the gun I want due to budget limitations I have regretted it and usually got rid of that gun at some point. Not saying you should get one or the other but I would get the one I really want and if necessary a Sport Combat holster to use for a while if it happens to be the G34. You may have a completely different mindset than me so YMMV etc.

20. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

I have a serpa holster I could also use without modifying. I just hate that stupid thing.