close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help Me Cook My Thanksgiving Dinner

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by DWavs, Nov 8, 2004.

1. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

With the passing of my wife's grandmother last December, I will be cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. Need a little guidance.

I bought a 14 pound butterball turkey and would like to make homemade stuffing to stuff it. I have a roasting pan to cook it in. Looking for guidance on when to take the turkey out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge, how to prep it, how long to cook and what temp, and how to make the stuffing so I don't have to buy that crappy Stove Top stuffing.

Thanks!
    David

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

DWavs,
    Don't sweat it man, its super easy to cook a turkey.
    I have always used a reynolds type of cooking bag (found here ) and the bird comes out super tender and juicey. As far as thawing 2-4 days ahead of time and thaw in the fridge or in cold water but its has to be kept cold to avoid excess bacteria. Other easist way is to deep fry the turkey. This is the tastiest turkey you will ever have and the cooker will only set you back about $100. I have found though that you will eat more turkey if you buy one...;f

Found another good link here for ya.
    Good luck and don't worry, Domino's will still deliver ;f ;c

3. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

David,
    Turkey is super simple anymore. You can do it one of 2 ways. You can either throw it on the grill or you can deep fry it. I have done both and both turned out fantastic. I have a Weber silver c with 3 burners. You need to cook the turkey with indirect heat. Check out the recipe here Weber Turkey Recipe . The beauty of this is that you do not need to baste the bird at all, it does not need to be covered, it keeps the house cool and it usually surprises and impresses your guest.
    The other method that I did last year was deep fry it. This is even easier and quicker. It is a little dangerous if you are not careful!! Keep the frier away from the house or anything flammable and I stress that you must lower the turkey into the oil ever so SLOWLY!! If you don't then you will have problems. If you oil and season the turkey under the skin and above the whole turkey comes out real tender.
    Good luck with whichever method you use, just remember to have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

4. whiskey_moodz

whiskey_moodz

I fried mine last year this is what I did..

8 ounces unsalted butter
    2 1/2 ounces red pepper sauce
    1/2 cup water
    2 garlic cloves
    2 bay leaves
    12 to 13 pound turkey
    Approximately 6 gallons peanut oil

Combine butter, red pepper sauce, water, garlic, and bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil the sauce for 10 minutes to reduce. As it cooks, the color will deepen. Allow the sauce to cool before injecting it into the turkey. It is best to inject the turkey with the sauce at least 12 hours before frying.
    Set up a 40-quart deep fryer with burner base and propane tank according to manufacturer's directions. As a safety precaution, measure the amount of oil needed to fry by filling the pot first with water and covering the turkey by 1-inch. You may want to put the turkey in a plastic bag for ease. Remove the turkey and mark the water level on the side of the pot ? this insures no spill over when working with hot oil. Pour out the water, dry the pot and turkey thoroughly.
    Fill the pot with oil and heat to 350 degrees F. Have a deep fry thermometer attached to the pot. Put the turkey on the fry stand and attach to the metal hanger that comes with the fry kit. Slowly ease the turkey into the hot oil, long oven mitts and an apron are essential.
    Keep a close eye as the oil bubbles up. Turkey cooks 4 minutes per pound so check it at 45 minutes. The internal temperature of the bird should read on a thermometer between 170 and 180 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the oil as carefully as it went in.
    Set the turkey stand on a roasting pan to drain the excess oil. Let the turkey rest for 15 minutes so the juices settle before removing and carving.

Whiskey Moodz

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I'll get you my recipe for dressing. I was planning on posting it here anyway since I won't be cooking this year (will be at a wedding in Florida). It's pretty long to write up, so give me a few days and I'll relocate this thread and post it.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Grilling is not for the first time

If frying do it outside I don't want to hear Stephens City FD having to run down and put out your house.

how to
    Thaw in fridge or in the package in cool water.

Remove the large chunks of fat where ever you find them.

The skin around the neck end will have a good coat of it.

Pre heat the oven to 500deg.

Remove wing tips.

Turn the bird over and cutting along either side of the spine
    remove the top and bottom of it. Leave 2-3inches in the middle.

Rinse the bird well.

Salt and pepper well.

Put some kind of vegi-onion, carrots, or apples in the bird.

Put the bird in a roasting pan and cover with foil. Tent the foil so that there is some space above the bird.

Place in the oven and then turn the heat down to 350.

On a larger bird wait a half an hour.

Turkeys need to cook 20 minutes per pound.

The last half hour of cooking remove the foil and rub with a stick of butter every 10min.( use the same stick just give the bird a lite coat of butter each time)

The internal temp should be 175 to 180.

Remove from the oven and and recover with foil and let sit for 20min.

While all this cooking is going on take the the spine and what you found inside the turkey and put in a pan with water (remove the paper bag)1 or 2 carrots,an onion a stalk of celery bring to a boil then let simmer.

In a fry pan cook some chopped onion,and a chopped stalk or two of celery when clear mix with some torn up bread. Add some sage if you like it.

When the turkey stock has the flavor throw out the stuff in the pan.
    Keep the liquid.

Mix some if it with the bread( it should be slightly moist not soggy)

Put in a low pan and cook in the oven the last half hour the turkey
    cooks. When you take the turkey out leave the stuffing in while the turkey rests.

Pour the pan drippings out and remove most of the fat.

In a frying pan use some of the fat 4tablespoons or use butter.
    Heat and add 4tablespoons of flour. Mix and cook a few minutes add the pan drippings stir and cook till it thickens.

You may use some of the stock to thin it out add salt and pepper to taste.

that ought to do it.

7. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Frying is the only way to go. Better results than the oven and frying leaves the oven available for other dishes.

8. General Sherman

General Sherman

Poll:

Fry?

Bake?

Grill?

Bake in Reynolds bag?

I vote bake in Reynolds bag.
    Done it for years with success.

9. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Frying for best taste
    Bake in Reynolds bag for easiest cooking
    ;f ;c

10. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Fry for flavor and speed
    Grill for flavor and ease
    Bake because it is tradition;Y

11. lwt210

lwt210

Gonna smoke mine in the pit right next to the glazed ham. Just a breast though, can't hardly give the dark meat away at our table.

I am going to let a buddy of mine fry one for me around Christmas time though. He does this every year and hates to waste all of that oil on just one bird.

12. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

In the oven with the bag is the way to go. Super juicy and tender every time which is prolly what you want on your first time.

I just can't get into the frying of a turkey. I like that the turkey is pretty healthy from the oven. Dipping it and cooking in fatty oil just seems to ruin it for me, espically with all the other food there to eat.

13. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

1 onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    4 or more sticks of celery, chopped into small pieces
    1 stick oleo

Saute the above together until tender but not overcooked.

1 pan yellow cornbread (I use Sunflower brand with the recipe on the back of the bag--DO NOT USE SUGAR IN YOUR CORNBREAD!!)
    2-3 pieces of toasted bread

Take the above and process in a food processor until fine and crumbled.

Combine Cornbread & Bread mixture with the sauteed ingredients in a large bowl. Season with Poultry seasoning, Sage, salt & pepper.

Let age in refrigerator (I put mine in a ziploc bag at least 24-28 hours prior to cooking as "dressing"). If you want to "sample" to see if the seasoning tastes correct, you can put a small amount of water and butter (like a teaspoon) in a pan and "fry" the cornbread mixture to see if it tastes the way you want it to.

The day of cooking, mix 2-3 raw eggs into mixture. Put into turkey roasting pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with chicken broth and put into a 350 degree oven until dressing is correct consistency.

14. maxxx93

maxxx93

I'll bet You've never tried fried turkey.
    If it is done properly, with clean peanut oil, held at the correct temperature, the skin will seal the bird.

There is no oily/greasiness, only juicy tender meat.