close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me choose a hard drive please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tbone1970, May 23, 2006.

1. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

for my new laptop...

im not so much concerned about price as i am performance and storage capacity.

my choices are:

80gb/5400rpm
    100gb/4200rpm
    120gb/4200rpm

my instinct is to go for the 80gb due to the faster rpm (hence faster access).

problem is, an 80gb hard drive really only comes to 60gb of usable space (after the o/s and everything is taken into account)

my question is: if i go for a 100 or a 120gb will i notice the performance difference? should i go for the 120 and not worry about it?

my processor will be a 2.0ghz amd turion with 1gig ddr ram.

thanks for any replies!

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

If you're not concerned about price, but performance and capacity, why not a 100GB 7200rpm drive from Seagate or Hitachi or the 160GB 5400rpm from Seagate. Higher density for a given platter size/rotational speed generally gives better throughput.

http://www.laptoplogic.com/reviews/detail.php?id=104&part=full has a good review of the pertinent models.

3. HAVOC

Whether or not you'll notice a difference is entirely dependent on what you're doing and what sort of differences you can perceive. In general, I'd be more worried about capacity that performance, unless you're doing some very disk-intensive work. Database work, web serving, super enormous calculations that can't fit in RAM (you do have enough RAM, right..?) and that sort of thing can make disk performance an issue, but otherwise it's minor for the most part.

4. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

im getting an hp pavilion from the hp site. those were my choices there. although installing my own is always an option, it isnt my first choice.

i could always upgrade down the road though...

do most laptop cases these days have 2 hard drive bays? or do you generally have to swap a new one for an old one?

5. HAVOC

Some of the really huge cases (the 12 pounders) have 2 bays, but most do not.

What's the cost difference they want for the bigger drives? Compare that to what it would cost to buy one on the open market.

I would plan on reloading the thing from scratch anyway. Most OEM type PC come loaded with so much crap that they run like dogs til you blow it all out. And starting over is often faster than trying to dig it all out.

In days past however, HP didn't send a real OS disc, just their horrid image software that helpfully installs (without any choice from you) all the crap you didn't want in the first place.

On a personal note, I wouldn't own an HP if you gave it to me.

If you really want to work within their options, I'd take the 120GB if the premium isn't TOO extreme.

6. KSS745

KSS745 The Geek!!

I agree, the problem is now days is the Hard drives in laptops are under so much different layers of components they are hard to get to. I would not suggest trying to replace the hard drive yourself. You should take to a good PC repair shop and have them do it. It could save you the headache incase something breaks. Laptop hard drives are so small now days and the platters are small rotational speed isnt going to make a whole much of difference. Capacity, Access time and buffer size make the difference in the speed of the laptop. If your in Washington I'd be glad to help with the repairs.