close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me choose a digital SLR cam

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by JMag, Apr 23, 2006.

1. JMag

JMag

I've been looking at Canon (I have several film and digital p&s Canons), Olympus, and Nikon models and am interested in a nice pro-sumer digital SLR.

The Rebel gets much attention. What say you folks on the matter?

I'd like to keep the body/base lens gig under a grand and that looks possible.

TIA

2. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

That's VERY possible with a Rebel. The 300D (6.3 MP) is about $550 for the body and the 350D (8 MP) is about $780 for a body and 18-55mm kit lens. However, you can get the 350D body only for about $690 and then pick out your own lens based on what you want. I'd suggest starting with a cheap 50mm just to get you started then decide if you want a wide, telephoto, or zoom lens (or perhaps a few different types). Check out B&H for a great selection of Canon products.

3. JMag

JMag

Thanks, GB. I do like B&H and their service/prices. I'm leaning digital Rebel at present.

4. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

B&H is definitely on my short list of reputable stores I deal with. Two more you might consider are Beach Camera and BuyDig.com (they are sister stores) as they have some really good prices. Both are reputable and have good feedback from customers.

5. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

Great suggestions about where to look. BHPhotoVideo.com is where I get most of my stuff, as well as buydig.com... great to deal with.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE EXPRESS CMAERAS!!
    http://www.expresscameras.com/welcome.asp

Horrible to deal with and are basically crooks... check out:

Express Cameras on Reseller Ratings

Anyhow, can't help you for under a grand. I got the Nikon D70s and it is fantastic. The kit (including 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 lens) and a 1GB 80x CF card cost about $1300.00 shipped from BHPhoto when I got it. Granted, the D70s might have come way down since the D200 came out.

Either way, good luck!

EDITED TO ADD:
    Yeah, the kit is cheaper now at BH Photo...
    Nikon D70s kit

6. VXShooter

VXShooter

I'd highly recommedn the D70. The new version, the D70s is nearly identical and the performance is fantastic. Check www.kenrockwell.com for exhaustive reviews.

Key advantage? The lens that comes with the D70 is one of the best ones on the market. And you can pretty much figure it out just by playing with it.

7. jolly roger

jolly roger

I just got a Nikon D50 and love it! My film stuff is gathering dust now...

8. 8Ring

8Ring

I love my Minolta D-5. It has built-in anti-shake technology, a good wireless flash system, and great ergonomics. I got the camera without the kit lens and bought the 28-75 "D" zoom lens from B & H and am very impressed with it.

Minolta discontinued its photographic product line and the D5/D7 series may be hard to find. However, Sony has taken over the basic design, anti-shake technology, lens mount system, etc. Sony makes the sensors for Minolta and Nikon. Sony is expected to market an 8 - 10 megapixel DSLR later this summer. I've heard that Minolta will continue to make lenses for the Sony DSLRs.

If you plan to spend money, buy good lenses. Camera bodies come and go but good glass can last for many years.

Chris

9. Wicked96SS

Big gigantic +1 on that... I have spent more on lenses that I did on the camera body. It makes all the difference in the world.

Check out http://www.fredmiranda.com for some pretty good reviews on cameras and lenses.

10. spober

spober

if you not invested in a lens system go with the minolta/konica.anti shake tech works on their regular lenses.other anti shake requires anti shake "lens "technology.more expensive by far.also you get a 2.5 inch screen with the d7.

11. bushjumper

bushjumper

Get either a Canon or Nikon.

Although the olympus and konica bodies are nice, they just don't have the lens systems to compete with Canon or Nikon.

The body is going to be obsolete in a year or two, but you could be using the lens twenty years from now.

I prefer the Canon Rebel or 20d, although I think the lens that comes with the D70 and D50 is better than the canon lens.

Were it me, I'd get the Rebel XT. Actually I already did.

12. HalfMoon

HalfMoon

Be wary of Ken Rockwell's site..... VERY WARY. He has posted reviews of items he admits to never have even held in his hands.

Also, _no_ kit lens is one of the best on the market. With Glass you get what you pay for, a cheap lens is just that. Not saying you can't get a good lens for a good price, but you are paying for optics, so quality costs.

I agree 1 Billion percent about getting good glass. I'm a firm believer in buying the best glass you can afford, if you stick with the same brand, chances are future bodies will use the same mount and you can keep using them.

My stuff:

Nikon D2X, Nikon 12-24 AFS, Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AFS, Nikon 50 f/1.4, Nikon 70-200 VR + 1.4TC, Nikon 200-400VR f/4, Alien Bee Strobes.

Those lenses have (in some combination) been used with 3 different bodies. Jumping ship to another manufacturer would be hard with the money invested in lenses, so go to a store and handle the bodies before you pick one brand to go with.

13. Wicked96SS

Although I agree with what you say, the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 lens that comes with the D70s kit is a FANTASTIC lens. Gets great reviews by lots of people (Fred Miranda, Bjørn Rørslett are two that love the lens)... but they are quick to say that this is the best KIT lens that is available on the market.

Also, you can still get some very good prime lenses for very very cheap... example the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is quite possibly one of the sharpest lenses (at f/4) that I have seen... okay, that isn't that big of a deal, because I have only seen a handful, but some of them over $2K... Anyhow that 50mm prime lens cost just over $100 shipped... GREAT FREAKIN LENS.

But, yes, in general, I agree it is your best bet to RESEARCH and buy the best lenses you can for what you want to do...

14. HalfMoon

HalfMoon

Yes, the 50 1.8 is probably the exception to the rule. I have one in my gun safe, along with a 28-105 that worked well with my N90S SLR, but not so well for Digital compared to my newer lenses. I replaced the 50 1.8 with a 50 1.4 in my camera bag for the extra light.

Kit lenses aren't my thing, I like AFS lenses. Most of the shots I see from the kit lenses are close in quality to the shots I see with a 70-300G $100 lens, Lots of CA and not very sharp. Spoiled I guess.

Cheers.

15. njl

njl

+1 on the D70/D70S kit with 18-70. I got mine from digitalfotoclub.com which has them for a bit less than B&H.

You can get started for barely under a grand...but you won't likely stay under for long. A decent strobe (you won't likely be happy with the built-in one) is another couple hundred $.

But go handle a few and see which you like. I played with a Canon digital rebel and found it very difficult to just pick up and use without reading the manual. It took a while to figure out how to manually set both the aperture and shutter speed.

16. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

I just bought a 20d, and couldn't be happier with it.