Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you see my other threads, you'll know I bought a Romanian GP WASR 10/63 imported by Century Arms. I thought this was a good rifle, and all the "slop" in it is just due to it being a cheap AK. Anyway, it looks like this WASR is a piece of junk.

Please help me on buying a new one. Where can I get one, internet is great, and which type to buy? I want a good quality one that will accept the double stack 7.62x39 mags I already have.

I would like a standard stock, not an underfolder.

thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
With current AKs the importer/builder is the most important factor in quality. Century is known to have extremely poor workmanship, and that if you want a rifle from them you need to inspect it physically before buying.

If you want a high quality AK, you should go with the Arsenal SGL21, which you can easily find online at Atlantic Firearms or K-var. That'll only set you back about $750 and be excellent quality.

Your other option is to find a good local builder and buy an unconverted Saiga for $300 and have them do the work for you. This only makes sense if you think they can equal Arsenal's work for less money or do better work for the same money, which isn't likely unless maybe Red Jacket does it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I found an SAR-1 on Gunbroker for about $550. Is it worth it, and is this a much better riflr than the WASR?

·
Registered
374 Posts
The SAR-1 w/one mag I just bought from a local dealer was $402 out the door. It shows some wear but so far it functions great and the sites are good. I have the pics on another thread in this forum if you want to check them out for comparison..

·
Registered
285 Posts
The SAR-1 and WASR-10 are made by the same people. Your best bet is either the aforementioned Arsenal or grab a stock Saiga and convert it yourself for cheap. If price doesn't matter you'll have alot more options.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Price doesn't really matter, I want a good, stout, reliable gun. K-VAR has a SGL-21 for about $739.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You won't be dissapointed with an Arsenal, it's the equivalent to the Colt 6920 in the AR world. You don't need to spend any more. You can buy some nice wood stocks to give it the classic look and then spend your money on Circle 10 mags and ammo.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Price doesn't really matter, I want a good, stout, reliable gun. K-VAR has a SGL-21 for about $739.
Bingo! I already had an Arsenal SGL 20 and I wanted another Ak because I got the bug. I ended up getting an SGL 21 with plum furniture and it should be here in a few days. It is hard to beat a factory new Russian Ak with a beefy receiver and chrome-lined barrel. The only other fairly common Ak that I would throw into the hat is a Mak90 if you can find one for around $500. These are probably the best bang for the buck IMO.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
There is a chance that Sig's 556Russian (yes they really are calling it that) could be a good contender. I think it's close enough to an AK to fit in the AK search, it takes standard AK mags, has an AK bolt, etc. The big question is of course durability, something AKs are known for, and something US made Sig rifles aren't.

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
Opinions vary, but I'd say the Chinese MAK-90 is as good as the Russian AKs and normally a lot cheaper.

My converted Chinese MAK-90:

My Russian Saiga SGL-20 with Russian 8x42 scope

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
You need expand your search. I just did a quick search on GB and found one going for $400.

Hang out at the gunshows, look in the local ads.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
You need expand your search. I just did a quick search on GB and found one going for $400.

Hang out at the gunshows, look in the local ads.
The local market is next to non-existent, especially for non-fudd guns. :crying:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw one for $550 on another forum. Do you think I cam put a straight stock and pistol grip on it easily?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
If you see my other threads, you'll know I bought a Romanian GP WASR 10/63 imported by Century Arms. I thought this was a good rifle, and all the "slop" in it is just due to it being a cheap AK. Anyway, it looks like this WASR is a piece of junk.

Please help me on buying a new one. Where can I get one, internet is great, and which type to buy? I want a good quality one that will accept the double stack 7.62x39 mags I already have.

I would like a standard stock, not an underfolder.

thanks for the help!!!!
Other than the loose tolerances, what's wrong with it?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I saw one for $550 on another forum. Do you think I cam put a straight stock and pistol grip on it easily?
$550 for the Mak90 and you still have to modify it. Would it not be easier to just buy an SGL 21 that is factory new and ready to go? Either way you go, you will have a top-notch Ak.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help. I just bought a SGL21. I will let you know how it is after i get it. I haven't told my wife yet. You guys have any advice on how to break it to her when I come home with my new AK?

I figure it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the help. I just bought a SGL21. I will let you know how it is after i get it. I haven't told my wife yet. You guys have any advice on how to break it to her when I come home with my new AK?

I figure it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!
Honey, look what the stork brought us!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts