Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Know-It-All
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new AR (Anderson AM-15) to replace the old Bushmaster A2 I sold years ago. I've always had slings on my rifles but the new one came without one - I wasn't sure I even wanted one so I have been giving it a try. Now I've realized the utility of a sling and am trying to decide how to make that happen. This is the rifle I bought (not my pic), the only difference being a Romeo 5 red dot I have added:

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

For convenience more than anything else I've been looking exclusively at the Magpul offerings. I'm looking for a straight forward 2-point sling to be used for shoulder carry when my hands are busy with something else - I don't need anything tacticool, I don't shoot in competitions and I don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

What I think I've decided on is their MS1 QDM sling - it's pretty simple and comes with 2 factory-installed quick disconnect swivels. The tough part is deciding how to attach it. So far I'm leaning toward using a type 1 mount on the left side of the stock's attachment point and Magpul's RSA QD Rail Sling Attachment to provide an offset QD attachment to the left side of the rail forward of the gas block. The alternative would be to use one of the handrail M-Lok attachments, but not sure if I'd want it on the bottom or the side. I'm happy with the ergonomics and don't want to add a sling that's going to get in the way of my grip.

As you can probably tell this whole thing has me in the weeds and I'm probably over thinking it. Ideally I could just go into a big shooting supply store and get some help but there isn't one within 60 miles of here and the smaller local shops just stock odds and ends and can't provide everything I'm going to need. I'd appreciate some feedback/guidance from anyone who knows and understands this stuff. Thanks in advance.

· NRA Life Member
76,787 Posts
I can never find a sling I like, so I usually just use an ordinary 2 point, or piece together something from all of the parts of Army issued slings I've got. The Magpul MS1 looks handy.

· Registered
2,360 Posts
I typically use the Magpul attachments. I prefer the front to be the clip style with the rear being QD. I add QDs to my stocks if they don't have one then replace the buffer tube end plate with a QD variety as well. Up front I use the Magpul RSA or the QD with the QD paraclip adapter or the MLOK Paraclip adapter.

· Registered
48 Posts
The difference between one- and two-point slings are 1) one of preference, and 2) one of performance. The nice thing is that most companies these days make sling attachments that are convertible between the two so you really don't have to make the decision right away and can switch back and forth. I have both the Viking and the Magpul. I like them both but they are almost from two different eras, having purchased the Viking more than ten years ago and the Magpul within the past year.

Attachments are another factor. I recently outfitted an AR with all Magpul furniture so I made sense to keep the accessories in the Magpul family. I opted for the QD swivel attachments at the fore end and behind the grip because I have an adjustable stock that I use at all different configurations. Your Anderson may have picitanny rails rather than MBUS but the AR platform is so ubiquitous that you don't need to look far for someone that makes an attachment.

Length adaptability is important to me, too. If I'm transitioning between two platforms, I want to cinch the AR down. If I sling it over my back, I want to cinch it down. If I'm moving, I want it open and out of the way. It's all in how you intend to use it.

Finally, and let's be honest, some of us want to color match our gear, so selection is nice. Not everything has to be black, although black is the best color, especially on cars.

(BTW, give it another year and all this with change again)

· Registered
1,127 Posts
So far I'm leaning toward using a type 1 mount on the left side of the stock's attachment point...
If you're right handed I would recommend attaching it to the right side of the stock. That way when slung in front of you the rifle will sit flat against your body and the QD and sling will be on the outside. They will be more out of the way when slung and when using the rifle. You'll see most people do it this way.

· Registered
1,589 Posts
I still use the USGI “Silent Sling.” It’s inexpensive, lightweight, infinitely adjustable, and very quiet. They’re not just on my AR, but on all my long guns. I tried single-points and tac-slings when I was in the security business, but found the Silent Sling the easiest to use and the least likely to get me hung up in brush…

· Registered
4 Posts
Would be a good idea to see if you like the comfort of a padded sling, its subjective depending if you want to have it on for long periods of time especially if a full 16": Only downsides of the extra padding is it will be harder to wrap up and store slimly on the rifle due to the extra thickness.

Speaking of which don't forget to purchase a set of something to store the sling when in transit or storage, hear ranger bands/old innertubes from bicycles would work. I just jerry rigged a landyard with an adjustable strap to tie down and stick the sling in there. Rubber bands are also a cheap option but probably would need to be replaced once in a while.

· Registered
137 Posts
I prefer the Magpul MS3 with QD swivels on each end. You could easily add a QD receptacle on the front of you hand guard. It appears you have one on the butt stock. I’m not a fan of the single point sling but with the MS3 that is an option. Good luck.

· Know-It-All
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like you have a socket for a push button and a slot on your buttstock.
So, 2 sling fastening solution at the rear.
I see nothing forward on the handguard.

I do like Vickers Blue Force Gear slings.
So you don't think attaching to the rail in front of the gas block is a good idea?

If you're right handed I would recommend attaching it to the right side of the stock. That way when slung in front of you the rifle will sit flat against your body and the QD and sling will be on the outside. They will be more out of the way when slung and when using the rifle. You'll see most people do it this way.
I was leaning toward left-side because the only rifles I currently have (VZ58 & SKS) both came with them on that side. I guess if it doesn't work out it would be a small thing to swap the attachments.

I typically use the Magpul attachments. I prefer the front to be the clip style with the rear being QD. I add QDs to my stocks if they don't have one then replace the buffer tube end plate with a QD variety as well. Up front I use the Magpul RSA or the QD with the QD paraclip adapter or the MLOK Paraclip adapter.
I'm open to using a clip on the front attachment, just can't really see an application. The buffer end tube connection really does look like a good solution - I just didn't want to have to take the additional step of buying a castle nut wrench for a one-time use. They're not really expensive, so maybe.

Thanks for all the feedback - I've got until my birthday (May) to make my decision.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts