Help injured CPD officer via on line vote

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

"On May 27, 2009, my fiancé Densey, a Chicago Police Officer, was paralyzed in a head-on collision while responding to a burglary call. He was in a coma for four weeks, but we were married in the hospital when he awoke. Almost a year later, Densey grows stronger daily, but our lives are forever changed. With mounting medical bills, we can't think about our dream wedding on a beach in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Densey has a machine that helps him stand for 30 minutes. To see him waiting for me, words cannot describe the feeling that would give me."

Please vote for the officer and his wife at, http://www.ultimateweddingcontest.com/entries/33527

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065659&highlight=Densey+cole

2. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

3. LT642

LT642

You got my vote!! Best of luck to you two.

4. Hunca Munca

Hunca Munca nonplussed

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Best of luck and Godspeed!

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Voted, goodluck!

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

He was injured while on duty, responding to a call. Why is worker's comp not covering 100% of the medical costs?

8. spears

spears

This was an especially ****ty situation. He crashed en-route to a call; while unconscious, some ****bag stole his gun and hit him in the head, possibly causing further injury.

9. ronduke

ronduke

Paralyzed cop may get dream wedding after all
    Married in a hospital room, Densey and Mary Cole say contest victory would let them do it right
    By Ed Finkel, Special to the Tribune

1:56 PM CST, March 10, 2010

A year ago, Densey and Mary Cole were in the thick of planning their wedding and honeymoon. But fate harshly intervened last summer when Densey Cole, a Chicago police officer, was paralyzed in a three-vehicle accident while responding to a burglary call.

The couple married in a sweet but short ceremony at his bedside, not long after he awoke from a four-week coma. Months of painful, painstaking physical therapy have followed, and Cole is slowly recovering.

"Obviously, our wedding didn't go quite as planned," Densey Cole said. "I don't think I was in the room for 10 minutes after the vows were said before I got sick."

The big wedding and honeymoon they dreamed about drifted far from their minds — until recently. Mary Cole, a sommelier who worked at a Michigan Avenue hotel before her husband was injured and a frequent shopper at Crate and Barrel, entered a contest sponsored by the store to win a $100,000 "Ultimate Wedding."

The contest asked for 100-word write-ups about "Our love story," "Three important details about our Ultimate Wedding," and "Our everyday dream day," along with a photo. The Coles have been leading the online voting, which is part of how the winner is decided, by a wide margin — nearly 16,000 votes as of Wednesday, about double the next-highest entry .

"It's really exciting," Mary Cole said. "I've been checking it way too excessively. People keep texting me about it. (Densey) gets all giddy about it."

Densey Cole said he has been up at 3 a.m. looking at the Web site. "I'm almost in sneaky, day-before-Christmas child's mode," he said. "When she signed up for (the contest), I didn't think much of it. I literally kind of rolled my eyes. I was like, ‘Mary, don't invest too much time.'

"It kind of exploded. It's awesome," he said.

Their plan would be to marry on a beach in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, or possibly somewhere in Hawaii, and stay for two or three weeks afterward — partly because the travel would be exhausting for Densey. After all they've been through, his wife sees divine justice in the idea that they might win the contest.

"My sister bought me a dress. It was beautiful. But it was a 15-minute thing," she said. "He was so sick, he couldn't move anything. We told everyone, ‘Don't worry. We're going to do it for real.'"

But since then, she added, they've been a lot more focused on electrical stimulus therapy to enliven her husband's muscles and the "bicycle-like machine" he rides to try to strengthen them. "I've put all that stuff out of my mind — real weddings, a guest list," she said. "Our lives have taken such a turn that fun things like that are another world that I haven't thought about. Nor has he."

While Densey Cole was pinned in his squad car after the May 27 crash, a thief stole his 9mm Beretta and threatened his life. Cole suffered a severe spinal cord injury in the accident and spent months at Denver's Craig Hospital, considered one of the best facilities for patients with spinal cord and brain injuries.

Densey Cole said he's working hardest on his core strength and hopes to walk again but is philosophical.

"He's doing great," Mary Cole said. "He can sit on the side of a bed on his own. He can lift his legs. He can sit up in a chair much better."

If they win the "Ultimate Wedding" contest, she said, "it would be so amazing. We're like, ‘Wow, we deserve this.' To have our family and friends there, it would be just amazing."

Densey Cole said walking again would be amazing, too, but for now he's thankful for what he can do. "If things change and get better, sure, you click your heels three times," he said. "But if they don't, are you comfortable with where you're at? I can get around. I have full feelings throughout my body. When I hug my kids, I know I'm hugging my kids. When I hug my wife, I know I'm hugging my wife."

Votes are being tabulated at ultimateweddingcontest.com until March 31.

10. ronduke

ronduke

CPD Off Cole and his wife received the most votes in the contest. Thanks for voting.

11. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Good for them.

12. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Is he still employed with CPD with hopes to go back to patrol or is he medically retired?

Looks like his paralysis isn't permanent. I pray for a beautiful wedding, a full medical retirement, the full use of his legs back six months later and a lifetime of pitchfork devil rape for the s-bird who ripped off his piece and star.

13. use2b6L32

use2b6L32

Awesome!

14. VHT

VHT

Awesome....

15. ronduke

ronduke

Densey and Mary Cole win...a $500 gift card!?
    Way back in March I posted about Densey and Mary Cole entering the Crate and Barrel Ultimate Wedding Contest. Densey was the Chicago PD officer who was paralyzed in the line of duty. Mary and Densey received more votes than any other couple--21,562!

Their prize? A $500 gift card. I don't remember what the rules were, or what the criteria was for Crate and Barrel to choose the winners, but it's clear that receiving the most votes was not high on the list. The Coles did not even win second or third prize. First prize went to a couple who received only 1,383 votes! I haven't been inside a Crate and Barrel for a few years anyway, and it's a sure thing now I won't ever be visiting one in the future.

16. VHT

VHT

I won't be visiting one again as well. I can easily spend money elsewhere.

17. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Working. AGAIN!

I got there too late. Voting closed. Hope y'all win.

18. SkiCop

SkiCop

I got the pleasure of meeting Densey last year when he was getting treatment in Denver. Amazing guy. I still have the fundraiser flyer on my dash of patrol car as a reminder of what this job can do to someone and who we deal with on a daily basis. Im glad he won. I hope it was more than a $500 gift card. I think Im gonna check out their registgry and get them something.

19. use2b6L32

use2b6L32

I just saw this as well. That's a royal screwing that Crate&Barrel did to Officer Cole! I'll never give them any of my money, ever.

Someone just created a Facebook page titled "Crate&Barrel totally screwed Chicago Police Officer Densey Cole!"

Go visit and become a fan, if you're on Facebook.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010