Help ID Old TV Show For Me?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, Oct 21, 2020.

1. 8X8

8X8

2. peng

peng

Are you sure the car wasn't a Buick Skylark?

They look the same, but there are a few key differences.

-MLV

3. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

Sounds almost like Mannix - with a lot of similarities to what you remember.

The following is from Wikipedia. I added bold to key points:

During the first season of the series, Joe Mannix works for a large Los Angeles detective agency called Intertect, which was the planned original title of the show. His superior is Lew Wickersham, played by Joseph Campanella. Intertect uses computers to help solve crimes.

As opposed to the other employees, Mannix belonged to the classic American detective archetype, thus he usually ignores the computers' solutions, disobeys his boss's orders, and sets out to do things his own way. He wears plaid sport coats and has his own office that he keeps sloppy between his assignments. Lew has cameras in all the rooms of the Intertect offices monitoring the performance of his employees and providing instant feedback through intercoms in the room. Unlike the other Intertect operatives, Mannix attempts to block the camera with a coat rack and questions Lew, comparing him to Big Brother.

Mannix is notable for the high level of physical punishment he withstands. During the course of the series, he is shot and wounded over a dozen separate times, and knocked unconscious around 55 times. He frequently takes brutal beatings to the abdomen; some of these went on quite a long time, particularly by the television standards of the era. Whenever he gets into one of his convertibles, he can expect to be shot at or run off the road by another car or find his vehicle sabotaged. Nevertheless, he keeps his cool and perseveres until his antagonists are brought down.

nrajeff likes this.
  4. Rick James45

Rick James45

I think I had a lesson by Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny

“When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the ’64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn’t happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the ’60s, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the ’64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.”

5. fx77

fx77 CLM

Secret Agent-- Danger Man!!

Sherlock913 likes this.
  6. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

Are you sure it was a show, and not a one off tv movie?

7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    It sounds like Mannix, he was in LA and ( in a couple of seasons, 1967/1968) he drove a convertible Dodge Dart, which in the ragtop version looked a bit like a Tempest or a Leland, with a squarish body....