Help: Glock 23 not coming back into full battery after 300 rounds at the range

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gordov2, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Gordov2

Gordov2

At the range today I was using .40 caliber Blazer/CCI with the aluminum cases. After about 300 rounds with 6 different magazines, the Glock 23 would not go back into full battery upon ejecting the spent cases. This only happened when I used the short trigger reset method, i.e. doing double taps. If I let the trigger go all the way forward between each shot, there was no problem. I have used this ammo in the past without problems.

It seems as if maybe the aluminum cases are getting hot while sitting in the warm gun and the heat is having some effect on the round and preventing the gun from going back into battery after firing/ejecting???

Also, when the problem occured, I would have to manually pull the slide back about 3/4 of an inch to reset the trigger each time, to be able to fire again without the gun just going "click."

Any ideas??? Anyone???
    THANKS!

EDIT: When I switched to my carry ammo (Winchester RA40T's), I had no problems... so it must be the ammo, right??? And of course I just ordered 1,000 rounds of the aluminum CCI/Blazer that will be showing up at my house tomorrow!

2. D. Manley

D. Manley

How old is your recoil spring?

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

I'm a bit confused. So if you fired the gun and held the trigger back, what happened?

4. Gordov2

Gordov2

Brand new recoil spring. And the minute I switched ammo to my standard every day carry ammo, the problem goes away... which leads me to believe it's got to be the aluminum ammo.

5. Gordov2

Gordov2

With the aluminum cased ammo, the slide does not go back into battery. I would have to reset the trigger, each time, by pulling the slide back about 3/4 inch and then be able to fire. When I finally switched to my carry ammo, everything was fine.

6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Clean.

Lubricate.

Even Glocks need love.

7. Gordov2

Gordov2

Funny you should mention that, as just last night, I completely disassembled the entire weapon, did a .25 cent trigger job, thorough cleaning and lubing. So it's definitely cleaned and lubed properly.

8. Steve Koski

So if you held the trigger back, and the gun didn't go into battery, could you press the slide forward and fire the gun? Or would you have to retract the slide to reset the trigger?

9. Gordov2

Gordov2

I would have to retract the slide abut 1/4 inch to reset the trigger.

10. Steve Koski

That's really weird. If the trigger isn't resetting when the gun goes is fired and the side reaches the rear, then you need to send it in to Glock, or have an armorer look it over.

11. Gordov2

Gordov2

Yet it works fine with my carry ammo...

12. windplex

windplex

Wanna sell that broken gun:)

13. Gordov2

Gordov2

Sure for $650:)

14. curt732

curt732

I think you're dead on with the aluminum heat idea. Fact is aluminum gathers heat faster, retains it longer, and expands more than any other metal I know of. Of course the case expands to the maximum allowable by the size of your barrel upon discharge. Because the aluminum is hot it still wants to expand through the ejection stroke. Next the barrel begins to draw heat from the hot case and here you come with another round. My guess is that you can buy the cheapest “re-manufactured” BRASS ammo you can find and it’ll work fine.

It sounds like you should be reloading.

Curt

15. Gordov2

Gordov2

You are exactly correct Curt. I just came back from another range trip where I had the best shooting day I've had in months! However, once I got past about 400 rounds down range, the same problem started happening again. So, I switched up and put Winchester RA40T's in my mags and NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Then after shooting the RA40T's, I let the gun cool down for a while and went back to the aluminum Blazers and it worked fine.

Now I know never to order the aluminum.

I think folks don't see this occurring very much because (and I'm guessing here), most people don't shoot 600-800 rounds in an hour (creating A LOT of heat) -- or if they do and have this problem happen to them, they probably chalk it up to some other issue.

Bottom line: It was great not having a single problem while shooting today (other than the testing)! It was greater to isolate the problem. I'll tell ya, I was getting pretty frustrated over the last few trips to the range when I had to manually reset the trigger for each shot!

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I went out and bought a Dremel and re-touched the .25 cent trigger job I did the other day (by hand) and what a difference!! Wow is that trigger smooth now. The entire gun now feels as if it has been custom matched to my style of shooting. I was very careful to NOT overdo it with the polishing... it worked great!

16. windplex

windplex

That price is the same as a "no".

17. Gordov2

Gordov2

Exactly my point.

18. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

???

Did you use a stock Glock spring or an aftermarket?

:patriot:

19. Gordov2

Gordov2

I always use original parts. ...It was the aluminum cases on the ammo absorbing heat from the gun after 300-500 rounds. Once I switched ammo, everything was fine.

20. TurkeyTrack

TurkeyTrack

Would you agree, at "some" number of rounds, the gun reaches max temp?
    If so, how many rounds do you think, that would be? Have you checked chamber for roughness?
    ;)