Help getting a tech license?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kadetklapp, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

I'd like to get my ham license and start getting into the radio hobby. No one around my area offers a class regularly, and when there is a class, I usually can't fit into my schedule. Is a course available online?

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Where in Indiana are you?

3. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

4. gdog

gdog Be Prepared

I just got mine. No classes around here. I got a copy of "Now You're Talking" and studied it. Practice tests are at QRZ.com. ARRL website has the entire question pool. The tech test is pretty easy. Good luck.

5. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Can't fit it into your schedule ? What's more important than a man's hobby ?

I certainly understand your situation. When you can't get away from work and the nearest testing location is miles away it makes things difficult.

You cannot take the test online. There is an FCC requirement that three examiners must be present when the exam is administered.

How about taking a sick or vacation day to travel to the test center and take the test ?

6. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Software www.nu-ware.com

This software got me quickly and easily through my Tech and General license. When I was out and about and had a few minutes to spare I logged on to QRZ.com on my cell phone and and did their practice exams.

The closest exam to me is more than an hour away, and because of conflicts in scheduling (that exam is offered on day a month) I seriously considered driving a WHOLE lot further.