HELP - First Time Gun Buyer *of a 1st gen Glock 19 tho?* idk...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MarleySkylar, Jul 24, 2020.

Was I ripped off?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2020.
  1. Yea that can't be legit.

45.5%
  2. Nah that sounds about right.

54.5%
  1. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg

there are only perhaps a couple dozen or so Gen1 Glock 19s in private hands in the US and they sell for thousands and thousands when and if one ever comes up for sale.

You could have bought a brand new Glock for less than that. Yes you paid too much. I bought a new Gen 4 19 for $499.

Never buy panic priced guns. If someone told me with a straight face they are asking $600 for an old 19, I’d never consider doing business with them again.

2. Toocool45

Toocool45

I would have paid 600 for it. Thats a little on the high side. But in this time its worth it. Tha magazine is worth 100.00 . Check it for black internals when you get it. DO NOT send it in to glock for the free update. Theres an update to replace internals. Pay an armoror to do this these parts are worth decent money. To someone who is needing these parts. Thats where you have made out on the deal if it still has them! I think you did OK on your 1st gun purchase. Gen 2 Glock 19 is one of the best pistols in modern history, period. If it ever has a problem, box it up to glock they will fix it. Your new to you pistol will last a long time.

Aurora, jonb32248, SARDG and 2 others like this.

3. MarleySkylar

MarleySkylar

1) I appreciate your feedback
    2) I haven't made any demands
    3) I have never supported a ban

4. MajorD

MajorD

I have very frequently seen gen 2 pistols advertised as gen 1, and a good many people ( gun shop employees included) really don’t know the differences like you might expect.
    Considering how rare gen 1 nine teens are, I would never believe one to be real without a close in person inspection
    In contrast gen 1 17’s are relatively common

5. flyby1971

flyby1971

Yes you paid a lil more than they're worth. But, In these times of few guns on the market. You paid current rates. I paid 325 each for two of them a few years ago.

RyanBDawg likes this.
  6. Aurora

Aurora

I hate to type when not needed. I'll just say that this guy's post is worth a second read.

I got into Glocks early and have actually fired two Gen 1 19s. It's wasn't an earth shattering experience - and I think the following generations are better in every way.

I would keep your 19. It has proof marks, which is attractive to many of us. If nothing else, it's a good shooter. It's something you won't regret buying later.

V.

Smith46wesson likes this.
  7. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

We all paid less, even just a year ago.
    That was then this is now, anybody want to sell your Glock for $350?
    Unless you can buy a Blue Label Glock, they are at a premium today.
    Last month I paid $500 for an as new 3rd Gen G-19 as new two mags off GB, shipping and FFL fees brought the total to $550.
    And last year, I also got a G-45 and G-43x before things got “Fugazy”for $398.20 [+] tax in Central Indiana.
    I can get a Gen 5 17/19 tomorrow, at the Police Supply store here for $398.20, but I could not get what I wanted, a Gen 3.
    So yeah I will be the first to admit I paid $100 to much.
    It is what it is folks, you find 9mm Glocks on line locally or wherever for $300-$400, jump on them and tell us all, where you found them.

Smith46wesson likes this.
  8. Crazysarge16

Crazysarge16

I’ve owned several G19 Gen 2s, and one Gen 2 G17. There were all police turn ins, all were great guns. None of mine had the black internals, so they all got sent back to Glock for a complete go through. I’d highly recommend that route as well, so long as you don’t have black internals which are more valuable. If you send it to Glock, your only out of shipping but can get a completely rebuilt pistol and can pay them for night sights while it’s their if they have some you like. If you don’t want to be without your pistol while it’s being rebuilt, buy the replacement parts yourself and install them or if you don’t know how find someone who does.

I didn’t catch your location in the previous posts, and if I overlooked it I apologize. $600 is on the high end for a G19 Gen 2, but considering most stores have no stock lately it’s supply and demand. Pre pandemic, same gun would have been $350-500 in my area of N.C. Prices in my area rose $100-200 above premium pricing before things got real crazy.
    I’ve been lucky and been able to trade for a G19 and G26 Gen 4 for people that wanted guns I had.

If it was me, I would ask the gun store to comp me some mags for misrepresenting the pistol as a Gen 1. At worse they’ll say no, and you’ve learned your lesson to do a little research before jumping on a purchase. But I think the majority of us here can admit we’ve make purchases without doing all our research first.

Get some ammo, more mags, holster, and update your sights and go enjoy!

MarleySkylar likes this.
  9. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

I'm in CA and the used Glock market is insane right now. I was at the local shop last week and they only had a few on consignment. They had 2 modified/customized gen 3 19s for 1800 asking price each..no idea if they sold but people are paying silly prices right now.

You got a cool G19 for a reasonable price considering the market right now. Buy some ammo, sign up for some training, get proficient and enjoy that thing.

10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Don’t worry much about what you paid for your gun. Chances are in a short period of time you will have spent more on ammunition than you did the gun.

1187mg likes this.
  11. unit1069

unit1069

I paid $566 everything included out-the-door for a brand new 3rd generation Glock back in 2007 when there was no panic. This is in a very "red" state. I can't guess what a brand new Glock in Seattle would go for these days and political climate but I'd say you're okay. I suppose your biggest problem is finding ammunition.

12. Toocool45

Toocool45

No 9MM at a rather large shooting range I'm a member local. They had a supply of 40s&w, and 380ACP. I bought 2 50 round boxes of 45GAP. Just to keep supply. Not that I need to.

13. Lot

Lot

Yep, sell it to someone in Massachusetts and buy new mags from another source.

14. bubbatime

bubbatime

Too cool's post above is spot on.

The magazine is worth $100 to a ban state.
    The black internals, if still installed, are valuable. Keep them, don't let Glock keep them.

Yes, it ABSOLUTELY needs a rebuild. They have re-engineered the small parts many times over the years and if you plan on using it as a defensive use firearm, then yes, I would rebuild it completely with all new springs and small parts.