GlockTalk Forum banner

Was I ripped off?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
MarleySkylar : Your Glock19 serial number prefix "GP" falls within a Recall/6 Part Upgrade. I highly recommend you have Glock upgrade the internal parts. This upgrade is FREE. Glock headquarters will NOT charge you for it. A Glock Armorer/LGS should not charge you for this work either.

A local Glock Armorer MIGHT be able to do this. The slide MAY need to be milled with a 10 degree angle cut for the new style ejector. MY 2nd Gen Glock 21 required the milling.

Alot of individuals do not know about this 6 part upgrade, including Gun dealers.

There used to be an independent website that had all the upgrade notices, but is no longer there. Some of us have copies of the recall/upgrade page. The are also some threads on this site that either have all of the notices or excerpts. Below is the excerpt for your Glock 19.

1992, 6 part Upgrade

GLOCK, INC. Technical Bulletin #920403

April 1, 1992

Glock, Inc. announces a production change of the firing pin safety system. This new firing pin safety system has been installed in all production Glock pistols since November, 1991. A voluntary upgrade is being offered to maintain the Glock tradition of ensuring that all of our pistols are up to the latest standards in 21st century Glock technology.

Most importantly, the components of the new firing pin safety system are not interchangeable with the components of the old systam and Glock will always strive towards maintaining this feature of interchangeability while working to ensure future interchangeability.

The upgraded firing pin safety system consists of:
1. the firing pin
2. firing pin safety
3. the extractor
4. the spring loaded bearing (spring and bearing - 2 parts)
5. the trigger bar

The upgraded system is applicable only to Glock pistols with the following serial number ranges :
Glock 17 - alpha prefix AA - WF
Glock 21 - alpha prefixes through XL
Glock 19 - alpha prefixes through WJ
Glock 22 - alpha prefixes through YA
Glock 20 - alpha prefixes through WW Glock 23 - alpha prefixes through SK

The upgraded firing pin safety has a new surface finish making it nearly 100% saltwater corrosion resistant. Also, after rigorous and extensive testing, the new system proves to be more durable and has a longer useful life. Here, as always, Glock is working toward maintaining its standard of perfection.

1993, G19 Upgrade

Glock Model 19, 9mm Luger caliber, requires an upgrade for all pistols.

These pistols have the potential for an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of a cartridge with the action open.

The Glock model 19 pistol slide has a bottom protrusion, whose function is to push cartridges from the top of the magazine into the chamber. When the pistol is jammed in a double feed situation, the slide protrusion can come in contact with the primer of the jammed cartridge and cause UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE while the action is open.
If you have any questions or concerns please call Glock, Inc. Customer Service toll free at: 1-866-538-3517

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/post-recall-gen-2-g19-with-black-parts.1627198/

·
Registered
410 Posts
That’s about what I paid for my Gen 2 G19. I bought mine because I wanted a like new Gen 2 because that would have been the first pistol I shot (maybe a silly reason, but it seemed right). I looked at the price and it was similar to what I saw some places selling current production G19s for (last year, pre covid/riots). Based on what I’ve seen some of the shops pricing pistols at (non blue label) I think you didn’t make out horribly. Enjoy your pistol.

Attachments

·
Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner!
1,632 Posts
Market is crazy right now.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Venor ergo sum
3,293 Posts
The price is about par for the course in this Covid market. If I had nothing else, I would have easily paid it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If the OP is unhappy with the deal, can he not return to the dealer for a refund, since the sale was a misrepresentation?

Seems it would be in the dealer's best interest, in order to keep a good reputation - & even avoid possible criminal charges...or maybe lose his FFL. There seems to be enough evidence here to prove a case against the dealer.

Maybe the dealer was ignorant, but that should not become the OP's problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
UPDATE: This definitely isn't gen1, but okay...

I'm still happy with it. It doesn't come with anything else (no box, extra clip, etc) but I didn't know what to expect so that's not really a disappointment.

I am however torn on what to do, if anything, about the blatant misrepresentation by this shop. I don't like causing a fuss needlessly, and I don't feel knowledgeable enough to negotiate with them.

And really my main concern now is if they lied about that, what else could they be lying about? What if the parts inside aren't glock originals or subpar in some other way? Is it normal to ask a gun shop to disassemble a gun before purchasing it? That feels a little obnoxious. If not, I'll definitely ask.

Could that even be an "honest" mistake tho? Seems like literally everyone in the gun community knows gen1's distinguishing features... how can they run a gun shop and not know???

Anyway, here's the pics that I should've included in the OP.
Any insight on what this actually is?
(oh and thank you to everyone for your input and feedback. I really appreciate your help)

IMG-4836.jpg

IMG-4828.jpg
IMG-4831.jpg
IMG-4837.jpg
IMG-4838.jpg
IMG-4835.jpg
IMG-4834.jpg
IMG-4829.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If the OP is unhappy with the deal, can he not return to the dealer for a refund, since the sale was a misrepresentation?

Seems it would be in the dealer's best interest, in order to keep a good reputation - & even avoid possible criminal charges...or maybe lose his FFL. There seems to be enough evidence here to prove a case against the dealer.

Maybe the dealer was ignorant, but that should not become the OP's problem.
I was thinking of returning it or trying to negotiate a free lesson out of it or something. Problem is I'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable with the market the way it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That’s about what I paid for my Gen 2 G19. I bought mine because I wanted a like new Gen 2 because that would have been the first pistol I shot (maybe a silly reason, but it seemed right). I looked at the price and it was similar to what I saw some places selling current production G19s for (last year, pre covid/riots). Based on what I’ve seen some of the shops pricing pistols at (non blue label) I think you didn’t make out horribly. Enjoy your pistol.
Market is crazy right now.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
How much would this normally go for?

·
troy ounce gold
1,435 Posts
Pretty good condition for a 31 year old pistol. Field strip disassembly should be enough to tell if the internals look original. It should have a non-captured Recoil Spring & Guide Rod. :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My favorite local gun store (3 fair-sized ones in my Georgia town) sells guns for the same price he always did. Of course, the pickings are slim.... but no "special" pricing. He normally had several of any model Glock in stock; now he has only a few Glocks - period.

·
Registered
317 Posts
UPDATE: This definitely isn't gen1, but okay...

I'm still happy with it. It doesn't come with anything else (no box, extra clip, etc) but I didn't know what to expect so that's not really a disappointment.

I am however torn on what to do, if anything, about the blatant misrepresentation by this shop. I don't like causing a fuss needlessly, and I don't feel knowledgeable enough to negotiate with them.

And really my main concern now is if they lied about that, what else could they be lying about? What if the parts inside aren't glock originals or subpar in some other way? Is it normal to ask a gun shop to disassemble a gun before purchasing it? That feels a little obnoxious. If not, I'll definitely ask.

Could that even be an "honest" mistake tho? Seems like literally everyone in the gun community knows gen1's distinguishing features... how can they run a gun shop and not know???

Anyway, here's the pics that I should've included in the OP.
Any insight on what this actually is?
(oh and thank you to everyone for your input and feedback. I really appreciate your help)

View attachment 798832
View attachment 798822 View attachment 798818 View attachment 798830 View attachment 798834 View attachment 798828 View attachment 798826 View attachment 798824
Nice Glock 19 gen 2!

This link has some pictures and descriptions of some older generation parts (you could compare your gun parts, black internals have more value):

https://www.glockjunkie.net/glock-old-and-black-parts-gallery

I still carry my Glock 19 gen 2....

I tend to like the older generations ( 2 & 3 ). Probably based on nostalgia for me.

Enjoy the pistol. :)

Stay safe.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,455 Posts
Like everyone else has said go shoot your new Gen 2 and enjoy it. I wouldn't worry about the shop. They may not have known that it isn't a Gen 1.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've got a gen 2 19 that was given to me from my sister a retired Det. from D.C. It had a cracked frame and Glock replaced it with a gen 3. it has been excellent since.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the price paid for the pistol, especially an early Gen2 19 that is in great shape (that NUMEROUS people on this site would get a stiffy over if they could get it) and even more importantly in Seattle or the Seattle area which is now under pure communist and anarchist attack and being run by surreptitious communist government officials engaged in support of anarchy for the sole purpose of attempting to bring down our President. Trying to buy a firearm in that area has to be difficult at best.

I find it fascinating and amazing that people that have strongly supported the left, gun control and the disarming of the law abiding public now are demanding to be able to buy whatever gun they want.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would at least tell the shop its a gen 2 not a gen 1. Gen 2's police trade ins and some gun shops were selling them for 299 to 350 last year around here. Gen 2 was the first glock i was issued and i hated it. However, in these times i guess its going rate. So go shoot and get familiar with it, if you were lucky to find ammo. welcome to the board

How much would this normally go for?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts