HELP - First Time Gun Buyer *of a 1st gen Glock 19 tho?* idk...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MarleySkylar, Jul 24, 2020.

Was I ripped off?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2020.
  1. Yea that can't be legit.

45.5%
  2. Nah that sounds about right.

54.5%
  1. MarleySkylar

MarleySkylar

I went shooting to figure out what kind of pistol to buy (my first gun). Folks at two different ranges (and friends/family) all recommended 9mm Glock 19. I tried a few others and agreed the 19 was it. Only problem, no store anywhere in the PNW has one for sale because they're out of stock. Legit was told to sign up on a wait list...

So I accepted that and figured I'd get on the list and try something else while I waited for what could be months. As I'm talking about the list today a guy that works at the gun range says "oh we just got a collectors item 19. It's pricey, but dope."

Mind you, I don't know anything about guns and I'm skeptical of damn near everyone. So I play like I'm not excited and shoot a different gun for an hour.
    Dude from the counter came in to tell me if I wanted the old 19 he'd put it aside for me because people were eyeing it. Buddy seemed genuinely interested in making this collectors item my first gun. I can vibe with that.

When I went to the store it was already in someone else's hands. That's when new fren clarified that he promised it to me. Awkward moments ensued, but that's not the point.
    I bought the gun trusting the man's word. He seems like an honest person. He said original owner probably had it locked up and never used it. It did look super clean to be old.

THEN as I'm going through the online application the store manager comes in. He's geeked I'm buying it too. Tells me this story about how it was made in 1989, very few of them around, etc.

Long story over, I dropped $600 and was told I could come and get it in 10 days or less.
    Then when I got to the car I started researching the stuff they told me. And now I find it very hard to believe they would sell a rare collectors item for $600. I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures, but I'm going back tomorrow to do just that.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to get feedback about this from the GlockTalk community. Here are my questions:
    1. How do I verify that this 1st gen 19 is exactly what they say it is?
    2. Is it unheard of to buy/sell one of these for $600? Or is it more likely I got gouged?
    3. If it is what they say, should I even be firing it? I'm down to purchase something else in addition if it means preserving the integrity of a collectible.

Thanks! IMG-4826.jpg

twizm likes this.
  2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Post a picture of the frame.
    If not, does it have a “pebbled” texture all over the grip or does it have the grenade checkering on front strap and back strap?

3. Lot

Lot

4. Spartan24

Spartan24

I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you bought a Gen2 19. Colllectors item? No. Still a useful gun? Yes, very much so. $600 too much? Meh, more than I would pay, but not astronomical, especially given today’s gun climate.

V Gehts, rayzer007 and MarleySkylar like this.
  5. MarleySkylar

MarleySkylar

I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to snap pics. I'll be sure to post.

rayzer007 likes this.
  6. MarleySkylar

MarleySkylar

I know I feel like sucha noob going back for pics but whatever. **** was happening too fast to stop and think. That's why I feel semi scammed.

7. MarleySkylar

MarleySkylar

Yep. After spending an hour searching the interwebs I think that's exactly what happened. I'm not mad mad, but I'm annoyed they'd advertise it as something it isnt...

8. Mike-M

Mike-M

Your photo shows a label with G19 serial GP###. if that is accurate, that is a Gen2 G19 imported in August 1989.

A Gen1 G19 would have serial DN### or AN### and have been imported in March 1988.

The label you show says GEN1, which is obviously fraudulent. Also, Glock did not start referring to "generations" in any official manner until Gen4 was announced in 2010.

If this is a Gen2 G19, it won't be worth any more than other used G19 pistols unless it still has all of its original internal black parts. An April 1992 voluntary upgrade replaced the Firing Pin, Firing Pin Safety, Firing Pin Safety Spring, Trigger With Trigger Bar, Extractor, Spring-Loaded Bearing. The new metal parts have a metallic finish instead of black.

L-2 likes this.
  9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Pics would be helpful. Imo no glock is a collectors item, but some of these guys would throw their grandma under a bus for for a Gen 1 or 2.

jmohme and SARDG like this.
  10. 1187mg

1187mg

As high as everything is now that was a decent price if it hasn't been shot much.

These are crazy times for sure.

11. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

I just looked around at used 19 prices today and agree completely. You don't need or even want a collector's item, anyway, where you might use it less because of worry over the value or condition. What you need is a solid, reliable tool, and that's what you got. The price is about right so use it for what it was intended and enjoy the hell out of it!

MarleySkylar and HEXE9 like this.
  12. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

You bought yourself a nice Gen2 shooter that would’ve gone for ~$400 pre-COVID.

But in today’s climate, you did ok.

13. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

More than I would have paid. I got a G5 G19 for $530 brand spankin new. Just got lucky and found a shop that had one.

MarleySkylar and shooterMcGee like this.
  14. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Very, very uUnlikely it's a gen 1 G19. A lot of shooters prefer gen 2 and will seek them out. There's absolutely nothing wrong or deficient about them.

As for $600, that seems to be "reasonable" currently.

15. Mike-M

Mike-M

Er...hyperbolic. Nobody would do anything like that for any Gen2 Glock. They are very common, especially as a G19.

A Gen1 G19 is in a very very special category. So extraordinarily few exist that a collector's price better than $8000 is possible for pistol only in well-used condition. Most are marked on slide's right side with KS A B C, for Kansas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

I have no interest in Glock 9x19mm pop guns, and even less for the Compact model. However, I would not refuse a Gen1 G19 until I could sell it.

It is a certainty that there is NO Gen1 G19 being offered to the OP...just some common old Gen2 G19 misrepresentated as GEN1 on dealer's sales documentation.

There's no cause for anybody to get panties in a moist wad.
    There ain't nuthin' to see here. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    flyby1971 and MarleySkylar like this.
  16. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

EDIT: Scam concern taken care of.

17. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

$600 doesn't seem too bad for just about any Glock at the moment.

Shoot it in good health.

PRKJayhawk and MarleySkylar like this.
  18. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

As Mike-M stated, serial GPxxx (as shown on the receipt) would indicate an early gen 2 G19 (1989) with Austrian proof marks. An Austrian proof marked, low round count, unmolested gen 2 G19 with all original parts would make it very collectible for GLOCK aficionados and $600 is more than a fair price for an Austrian proof marked early gen 2 G19.

19. Jayman28

Jayman28

Pictures would be the key to answer your question. What does the 19 come with? What box ? Mags? Manual?
    Suggest you move this thread or post questions with pictures to the collectors sub forum.

SARDG and MarleySkylar like this.
  20. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I have a “GS” from July 89, x NYPD G-19.
    As new in box these days, I see a lot going for six bills on GB.
    Buy 3 new mags, keep the others with what it came with box etc etc, if all original, and shoot the bejesus out of it, carry it, how much are you worth?
    You said your in the PNW.
    You may need it on the way for a VOODOO Doughnut.

MarleySkylar likes this.