close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help find MAC Address'

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Nov 4, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Howdy,
    I have completely forgotten how to find the MAC address' for my computers ME\2K\XP!! Can anyone advise me how to locate that info on my boxes. Thanks for the help, help me, help me!
    pascal

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

From a command prompt:
    ipconfig/all

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

...or "getmac". If you have 2 NICs (or more), however, you might not be able to distinguish between their MACs.

4. pascal

pascal

If I use ipconfig on the individual machines, will that work. Or maybe just turn them on do the ipconfig/all then turn on the next and redo?? I want to set up network filter on my wireless router for the three machines, all hardwired at the moment. Does it really matter that much if they are the only machines on my network and wireless is turned OFF? Thanks for the ideas so far!!
    pascal

5. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

ipconfig /all will show you the MAC for any number of network adaptors on that machine. It still requires some common sense but the ipconfig /all should help you determine which is which a bit easier than getmac if you have more than 1 nic or vpn connection. -dok

6. Sgt. Schultz

The /all is a switch, an additional command for ipconfig ... it will only read the machine on which it is executed. To see all of the switches available for commands run at the prompt that you run add /?
    To see a list of available commands run "help".

7. pascal

pascal

That's a place to start looking, Thanx Sarge
    pascal

8. Sgt. Schultz

I don't know what router you are using but in your situation I would enable WPA2, change the default SSID, disable SSID broadcast, enable Wireless MAC Filtering and then select the Permit Only option and then don’t list any MAC addresses. Also be sure that you change the default password.

9. pascal

pascal

At this moment I have the wireless disabled. I am running two of the three computers hardwired to the router, the third will be hooked up at a later date. Thanks for the head up on protection on the wireless side. The router took a dump and I had to reset all the settings and recreate what had worked before. I had Network Filtering set to allow the Mac Address' of the machines on my network. Don't recall how, am having difficulty recreating the correct settings. I know you input the address' that you want and choose to allow ONLY them.
    pascal

10. Sgt. Schultz

MAC filtering is a wireless option, that’s why I suggested that you enable Wireless MAC filtering and NOT enter any addresses. You can assign Static IP addresses to your computers and then restrict access to the router to them or a range of IP addresses ... depending on your router. That's overkill ... if you follow my previous post you will be fine. Also some routers allow you to save your configuration settings to a file so you can restore them if necessary.

11. pascal

pascal

Somehow I believe that you have switched to talking Greek. Sorry but you are getting beyond my current comprehension level. I thought that disabling the wireless would block all wireless communication with the router and my net. Thanx
    pascal

12. Sgt. Schultz

Do'h ... I thought we were referring to "turning off the SSID", yes if you have selected "Disabled" in the Wireless Network Mode then all wireless communication with the router is disabled.

13. pascal

pascal

Thanks for the responses and info, it's been a big help. I had previously set the filter for my three computer's macs'. This now doesn't seem necessary as they are the only three computers available on the net(is this a correct assumption?). Will have to worry if/when I get the wireless working. Couldn't previously get WPA2 to work properly with the linux box. Didn't want to run anything less. Using a DLink WBR-1310.
    pascal