close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help! Dogs digging up plants!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Glock Bob, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

The wife and I just got some dogs a few weeks ago, a terrier and a lab. The lab is (supposedly) one-year and the terrier five months. The terrier seems to love chomping plants off and chewing on them as she gets bored chewing on everything else. The lab seems to dig a little and I believe it was her that dug up a thyme plant. Is there anything we could spray on the plants to avoid this? I was thinking maybe vinegar as it has a strong taste and they might not like it. Any help is appreciated.

2. warrior poet

warrior poet

you can sprinkle cayane pepper in the soil around the plant, potted or otherwise, or mix the pepper in water in a sprayer to coat the plant. if that doesnt work go get a shock collar, sit in the house where the dog cant see you and when he gets with in an inch of the plant, change his mind! the point is you dont want the dog to assosiate you with the disipline. you want him to think he is creating this neg responce. if you do this it will keep him from only being a good dog when you are watching.

3. zzdroptop

zzdroptop

Well you do know that Terriers were breed to go to ground....so digging is what they are about. I have 2 Cairn Terriers and we simply made them an area where they are allowed to dig. Its a pile of soil that I hauled in and mounded up...we bury there toys and treats in there to incourage them to only dig in there. If they dig where they are not suppose to a stern "NO DIG" will let them know to stay away from that area.........then direct them to thier area and treat...they will catch on quick and all will be good.

4. lil_miss_ak47

lil_miss_ak47

Put like a citrus smell in the plants cause animals hate the smell of cirtrus!!or put some black pepper on the plants so he'll dig big when he licks his paws he'll get the pepper in his mouth and then he shouldnt do it anymore it might take a couple weeks.