close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help! Dog Climbing Chain Link Fence!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by magic, Apr 29, 2013.

1. magic

magic Mean Old Man

So, we adopted this chihuahua.

[​IMG]

He's a cute little dog, but we might have to name him Houdini because he learned how to climb the chain link fence today. I have been looking around this morning for ideas of how to stop this, but haven't thought any are the perfect method. So far, I've seen people recommending: invisible fence, shock collar or fence modification. The fence is only 4 feet tall, so it's pretty easy for him to climb now that he knows how to stick his feet through the holes in the link.

Invisible fence might be too expensive and a little cruel. Shock collar is an okay idea, but we have to use it properly for it to work, it's also painful like the invisible fence. Fence modification seems like a great option, but I have about 450 feet of fencing that he has access to, so it would have to be something cheap.

I know the shock collars and invisible fence aren't that cruel. I would rather shock him a few times than have him get out and ran over by a car. If it comes to that, I have no problems shocking him, but Mrs. Magic doesn't like the idea. She wants fence modification. I'm pretty much open to any suggestions here, this has to stop!

2. Steve0853

Steve0853

I had that problem with a larger dog. I had to run electric fence around the top of the pen. That surely worked, but it did shock the crap out of him a couple times.

3. Ironbar

Ironbar

4. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Had a Doberman once that was doing that. Solved it with a single wire electric fence just inside the chain link one.

Just saw the Mrs. doesn't want to shock the guy. Maybe a horizontal barrier at the top of the fence?

5. magic

magic Mean Old Man

I've kind of convinced her that the electric fence is a good idea. Found this one that's only $25 and I can get the extra few hundred feet of wire for about another $20.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-SS-725CS-Powered-Light-Duty-Electric/dp/B000HHO9EE"]Amazon.com: Fi-Shock SS-725CS AC Powered Light-Duty Electric Fence Charger, 5-Acre Range: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RzE2LaLcL.@@AMEPARAM@@51RzE2LaLcL[/ame]

I've got another issue this might solve too. We have been trying to figure out how to keep our goats out of the garden now that all our new plants are growing. If the electric fence trains the dog pretty quickly, we can move the unit to a small fence around the garden to keep the goats out. Two birds with one stone!

6. BIGBEAR92314

BIGBEAR92314 KK6HKT

Had a larger dog once that could scale a 6' fence I had to install a cable run with leader that traveled the length of cable suspended between two trees to keep him in the yard.

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

You adopted a Mexican chihuahua and are surprised it can climb a chain link fence!!:whistling:

Sorry, but just had to do it!!:supergrin:

I'm of the belief that the smaller the dog, the smarter they are, and that little guy looks pretty bright and has a bad-boy look. You've got your hands full there. Maybe a nice moat and some alligators would slow him down a little bit.

8. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

We had a lab that could climb a 5 ft cyclone fence. She would go to the corners and climb out. I had to buy some extra fence and build a horizontal barrier in the corners ....

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. BIGBEAR92314

BIGBEAR92314 KK6HKT

Now that was funny:rofl::rofl:

10. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

Thats funny. :rofl:

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

That is funny!

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

Can you shorten his legs? He has too much leg on him.

/

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

LOL I like him, he makes me laugh when I look at him. He is definitely up to something!

/

14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    Maybe put a Mexican flag on the other side of the fence?

:dunno:

15. magic

magic Mean Old Man

I laughed so much I choked myself a little! You win the prize for best comment of this thread! :number1:

Yes, he is a very long legged chihuahua. He's really cool for a chihuahua too, doesn't act like most of them do. He is a little troublemaker, though. He kept getting into the goat pen and thought it was the funniest thing to make the goats go nuts, he had them running in circles, I thought they were going to kill him for sure. We got that little spot patched up and now he climbs fences. He is kind of bad-ass looking too, I like it. Just gotta deal with this fence thing now. I like the idea of putting a Mexican flag on the other side of the fence! :rofl:

16. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

[​IMG]

Install these chain link fence inserts....

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

:rofl:

18. OdinIII

OdinIII

I kept my dog from climbing our 12' wide gates by wiring corrugated drain pipe horizontally on the gate a little higher than she could reach. Not as easy, pretty, or as cheap as electric but it worked.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

20. magic

magic Mean Old Man