Help deciding what .22lr pistol to purchase

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by nickh007, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nickh007

nickh007 NRA Member

Hey guys,
    I've got my girlfriend into shooting now and she feels comfortable with a .22lr pistol, but I don't want to rent a POS unmaintained Ruger Mark III every time we go to the range. I think I have it narrowed down to a few pistols.

I was looking at the Beretta Bobcat. I like the fact that it is ultra small and I could use it as a backup pocket pistol, or a possible carry gun for my girlfriend.

I was also looking at the Walther P22. I've heard they are somewhat unreliable but fun to shoot, but I love the way they look.

Bottom line is I would like something that my girlfriend won't be afraid to use if she were to need it when she is home alone, or maybe eventually carry (and something to plink with at the range). I would like something reliable but no more than $350 max.

What do you guys think? Any other pistols I should research?:dunno:

2. NZshooter

NZshooter

For $350 I would do one of two things:

1) find a nice, clean, used Ruger Mk. II (sounds like she already likes the Ruger platform)

2) if you or your GF have a Glock, get an Advantage Arms conversion kit

3. J_Rico

J_Rico

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The Ruger MK II and MK II 22/45 is my choice. I've had them since 1960. Trouble is, while it's a great "house" and range 22, even with the short barrel the gun is a little too big for carry, even in a woman's purse.

This is a short barrel MK III 22/45. It gave me a lot of trouble before I took the "lawyer crap" out of it. My MK II Rugers have been trouble free for 50 years (wow, has it been that long)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  5. KCHORNS

KCHORNS

Ha Ha. I read your post and said "that sounds like the Ruger I rent" then realized that is the same Ruger.
    I do like the accuracy of the Ruger. I'd like to get the one with the heavy barrel.

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I have two P22's, both well north of 25k rounds each and going strong. I did a couple of mods as recommended on rimfirecentral, and as long as they're eating their preferred ammo, they're 100% reliable. Other than the Advantage Arms conversion kit, I think they're about as close as it gets to a combat-gun-like .22. I would buy again.

7. nickh007

nickh007 NRA Member

thanks for the comments fellas. The Ruger is very accurate, HOWEVER I do not exactly like the look of it. I was leaning more towards the P22. I like the tactical look. Anyone know of any others that are similar? We both are not real big fans of the long old school look.

8. ctfireman

ctfireman

Always had good luck with the P22. Also one of the coolest looking .22's.

9. nickh007

nickh007 NRA Member

I also love the look of it. Have you had any feed problems or any other reliability issues?

10. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

A good friend of mine has a bobcat and it has been very reliable. If you think at any time that she may use it for a carry gun this would be the most concealable, though the little Walther is pretty small and looks a lot meaner.

BTW the bobcat is a lot more accurate than you would think. We've shot a 2x4' plate target with it at 100 yards. I know that's a huge target, but it's also a man sized target and it was 100 yards. No problmes keeping it in a 6" circle at 15 yards. In arkansas you have to shoot a 10" target at 7 yards for concealed weapons permit.

11. Reagan40

Reagan40

Ok, I know I will probably get flamed for this...

I recently ignored all the internet advice and bought a Sig Mosquito. I don't know if they used to suck but were improved, or if I just got lucky. I absolutely love it. It has a threaded barrel, which will soon get a can. It has been 100% reliable with over 500 rounds of CCI through it. I will start testing the cheapo bulk pack ammo once it gets warmer. It is accurate, feels good, looks great, and has a decent trigger pull. It feels heavier and is better built than the walther P22's that I have seen/shot. For me, I would either choose the Mosquito or a Ruger MKII.

(Flame away, but be gentle:supergrin:)

12. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Dang, Buck... I've got a '58 MKI Target, but I got it used... :supergrin:

First gun I bought new from the store was a '78 Ruger MKI Target though... :shocked:

13. rollosan

rollosan

Bersa Firestorm and Remington Golden bullets...:cool:...

14. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I don't care much for .22 revolvers and think .22 pocket pistols are a very poor choice for SD. Without a doubt...the Ruger MK II is a terrific .22. I've owned several and the stainless Government Target model with a 6 7/8" slab-sided barrel is my favorite.

15. deadite

deadite Groovy.

+1 for Ruger Mark II.

deadite

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Of course the first Ruger I bought in 1960 was a MK I.
    Even though in 1995 it was in my gun shop when it burned down, that didn't even stop the Ruger. I bought new springs and a few other parts and the Ruger still functions, but I never shoot it anymore.:)

[​IMG]

17. deadite

deadite Groovy.

You should get it refinished as a reward for years of faithful service. :)

deadite

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I bought a SIG Mosquito in Nov 08. I liked the gun, but not enough that I'd buy another. Like most guns it had trouble with the Wal Mart 22 bulk pack ammo.
    Extra magazines were high, $40 as I recall.
    A lady I was teaching to shoot wanted it, so I sold it to her. She later traded it in on a G19. She wanted a house/carry gun.

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've actually thought of doing that, but it's probably just one of those things I'll never get around to doing.

20. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

M2:

Bet you a donut that if you send it back to Ruger you'll get a nice new gun in return.

Just sayin'

:wavey: