·
Registered
42 Posts
19 23 j frame.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Imagine this scenario:

You are limited to 3 pistols for your permit to conceal carry (California). You only have access to Gen 3 Glocks. What 3 Gen3 Glocks would you put on your permit? Obviously I would love a G43 but don't have access to that model and not willing to pay $1,000 for one on the secondary market

Get the heck out of Kalifornia, I am surprised you can get a permit, where you at Del North County in middle of no where, except Cows & Elk.

BTW the City County of San Francisco does not recognize CA CCW PERMITS, so for your information, carrying unless you a CA Post Certified Peace Officer in San Francisco is not advised.

Do not know how you survive in KOKOFornia, as the law change so fast you may soon only be allow a Potato Gun for self defense with One Potato for mammoth on you person.

·
I'm not retired
7,208 Posts
You can only own 3 hand guns in CA?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Some jurisdictions in CA only allow so many on a carry permit. A person can own more . Ownership and possession in the home as range is legal without it . There are restrictions on how it’s transported to those places, etc unlike those guns on a CCW permit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just gen3 glocks? G26, G23, G20sf (G23 gives versatility with swapping calibers.)

But what I would actually go for is probably S&W Shield, S&W airweight .38, G20sf.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Imagine this scenario:

What 3 Gen3 Glocks would you put on your permit? t
1. If you have paid for competent skills training so that you can walk or run and shoot accurately, the caliber does not matter.
2. Buy all 3 of the same model. Cheaper for maintenance/holsters/practice/ammo. Use one with dedicated magazines for range shooting only. Do not use all three in practice. Test fire all of the dedicated carry and shtf magazines, load them up after testing and don't use them ever again. Periodically, take out and clean the carry magazines.
3. If some day you want to fool around with different caliber barrels and .22lr conversion kits, that is for later.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
1. If you have paid for competent skills training so that you can walk or run and shoot accurately, the caliber does not matter.
2. Buy all 3 of the same model. Cheaper for maintenance/holsters/practice/ammo. Use one with dedicated magazines for range shooting only. Do not use all three in practice. Test fire all of the dedicated carry and shtf magazines, load them up after testing and don't use them ever again. Periodically, take out and clean the carry magazines.
3. If some day you want to fool around with different caliber barrels and .22lr conversion kits, that is for later.
Three of the same model isn’t necessary. It’s what’s on the carry permit. He can own more than those three in CA. They just won’t be on the carry permit and limited use to home, the range, and those places where open carry is allowed.
It’s better to own what should be in a EDC rotation for different “needs” in concealed carry rather than SHTF gun.

It’s California so 10 round magazines unless the court case allowing 10+ magazines wins the appeals.

Having been limited to only two guns authorized for carry when I was an active LEO, but owned many others, it’s the day to day activities that reflect on what the carry choices should be. Retired I have more options I can choose each morning. Here, the max on a full carry permit is eight. Addition handguns are on a separate permit with limited use( range, home, and hunting only).
Choose the three that fits the lifestyle and possible life events.
A gun that is a good all round like the Glock 26/27.

A gun that is small and good for pocket or ankle carry.

And a third that goes more to the individual’s lifestyle. If he’s a hunter, a 357 or 44 might be the one.

If a city dweller, maybe a single stack 9 might be in order. Something on the CA roster.
But the SHTF guns or home defense handgun doesn’t have to go on the CCW permits in CA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Get the heck out of Kalifornia, I am surprised you can get a permit, where you at Del North County in middle of no where, except Cows & Elk.

BTW the City County of San Francisco does not recognize CA CCW PERMITS, so for your information, carrying unless you a CA Post Certified Peace Officer in San Francisco is not advised.

Do not know how you survive in KOKOFornia, as the law change so fast you may soon only be allow a Potato Gun for self defense with One Potato for mammoth on you person.
Don't worry I stay well away from that poop covered, communist run s-hole. It's true that the laws are constantly being piled on. But don't get so complacent, this push towards communism is happening at a national level. You have our California AG running for your president right now. The left also controls the house and is likely to regain the senate (they may flip CO, AZ, ME, IA). If that happens the entire nation falls under the iron curtain and everywhere becomes California. They stack the courts with hardline leftists, make DC and Puerto Rico states, open the borders up, and then reign indefinitely until even farther left radicals promise even more destructive policies in order to get elected.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Don't worry I stay well away from that poop covered, communist run s-hole. It's true that the laws are constantly being piled on. But don't get so complacent, this push towards communism is happening at a national level. You have our California AG running for your president right now. The left also controls the house and is likely to regain the senate (they may flip CO, AZ, ME, IA). If that happens the entire nation falls under the iron curtain and everywhere becomes California. They stack the courts with hardline leftists, make DC and Puerto Rico states, open the borders up, and then reign indefinitely until even farther left radicals promise even more destructive policies in order to get elected.
Sad thing with CA, what is legal today, is Illegal tomarrow. Knew a guy in Burney who had a sporting good store. Last time I was there years ago, he had no Hanguns for sale. I ask why?

His reply was intresting, he said if a customer want something I call DOJ to ask if it approved. Then I order it for the customer.

Mention he had a safe full of unapproved stuff, Hanguns he could not sell. I said why sell & not send to another FFL in a friendly state?

His reply was scary, he said CA DOJ said that was not allowed. So he is stuck with handgun in safe, that are dead inventory.

Califronia is very different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
No, but for lawful permitted concealed carry you can only have 3 authorized handguns for concealed carry on your permit. Those handguns have to be "qualified on" in an authorized test, and are recorded by serial number for the permit. So carrying anything other than those 3 would be illegal. The permit lasts for 2 years and is a pain to update, hence my dilemma and indecision. I would love to have just a simple permit that says "user authorized to carry a handgun" and then select anything I want from the stable depending on the situation, dress attire, mood, familiarity etc. But we are not allowed such privileges here in Kalifornia. I am just grateful to at least live in a county where they allow us serfs the privilege of concealed carry because the Sheriff is fairly conservative.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Sad thing with CA, what is legal today, is Illegal tomarrow. Knew a guy in Burney who had a sporting good store. Last time I was there years ago, he had no Hanguns for sale. I ask why?

His reply was intresting, he said if a customer want something I call DOJ to ask if it approved. Then I order it for the customer.

Mention he had a safe full of unapproved stuff, Hanguns he could not sell. I said why sell & not send to another FFL in a friendly state?

His reply was scary, he said CA DOJ said that was not allowed. So he is stuck with handgun in safe, that are dead inventory.

Califronia is very different.
Look at the current DA of San Francisco. Proud self proclaimed communist, worked directly with Hugo Chavez in Venezuela, is the child of 2 convicted leftwing terrorists serving life sentences in prison for murders and bombings. He advocates no cash bail (ie catch and release criminals with no jail time), no charges against crimes such as theft, vandalism, drug use, or street defecation. The only people who are "policed" in SF are the ones who have money to pay "fines". The drug addicts and homeless criminals are allowed to run rampant with zero enforcement on anything they do.

Your friend is right, it is technically "unlawful" for a dealer to offer for sale handguns not approved on the "safe handgun roster" in California. The roster is updated every so often, I forgot the schedule, but is essentially a shakedown of the gun manufacturers. Because each time it is updated, the gun manufacturers are forced to pay a "renewal fee" which I believe is in the tens of thousands of dollars per model. So sometimes manufacturers hedge their bets and allow poorer selling or discontinued or niche models to "fall off" the roster. CA also passed a new law a few years ago that stipulates no new semi-automatic handguns can be added to the roster. So basically we have a dwindling and diminishing list of handguns available to purchase here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I am tempted to take this approach but in doing so I would basically give up the ability to carry in certain situations or it would become much more cumbersome. For instance, a G19 carries nicely for me when in casual dress in fall, winter, and spring but I would have to figure out a way to bring a G19 on a jog during the summer. I do notice it is a bit more difficult to conceal in summer when wearing just shorts and a t-shirt, which is why I was considering maybe the G26/27. If I wasn't limited to 3 guns, my list would probably look like this: G20, G19, G26, G23, G27, S&W Shield 9, S&W 442 .38, Seecamp LWS .32 and I feel that would adequately cover all my lifestyle and dress situations, even those that might only happen a few days a year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
19, 32, 23. Forget changing barrels
For some reason I haven't been able to spot a G32 for sale anywhere. I wonder if the round has finally gained traction in popularity? My LGS had dozens of G19s and G23s the other day, but not a single G32

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live in CA, so this resonates.

I have a G27 Gen4 which I bought on consignment from a local LEO. I'd keep it as one of my three.

Then I'd get a G23 to have the next size larger gun. Probably if I only had three, it would be the house gun, although it can be concealed.

Finally I'd get a G30 if I wanted to step up in caliber, but still have the option to conceal it.

I'd be fine with gen 3's on the last two, but if another gen 4 come along for not too much more money I'd get it for the interchangeable back straps.

Given those three, I'd get a 9mm and 357sig barrel for at least one of the guns. That way I can have some low cost practice ammo (9mm) and another option for when ammo shortages come along.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts