close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help copying VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ElConquistador, Dec 31, 2006.

1. So here's the thing... ...yesterday I went to BestBuy to pick up a monitor. While I was there I got some software to edit/burn DVDs from my mini-DV tapes. So I'm making DVDs and so far that's working fine, although incredibly slow.

I would like to do the same thing with my pre-mini-DV camcorder tapes. They are the crappy VHC-C tapes.

The first software I got was a Pinnacle kit that came with a converter box, red/white/yellow in the front, usb out the back. Once I got home I found some reviews and learned that the Pinnacle software is very unstable and a lot of people don't like it. I traded it for Sony Vegas and now I'd like to find a converter like Pinnacle had.

Better yet would be a PCI card that I could just install and plug into the back of the computer. Is there such a thing?

I know it's not going to be DVD quality or anything but I don't have a VCR any more and would like to be able to view the tapes.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

2. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

What you got from Pinnacle was/is called a "Dazzle".. probably a Dazzle 150.. you should have run with it.. it takes some learning but it works....

I just sold my dazzle 150 on eBay when I found out my Sony Digital Video HandyCam will do the same task using the AV and SVideo inputs and Firewire output....

I'm a little confused as to what you are going to play these VHS-C tapes on in order to copy them?

3. Actually it was the Pinnacle Movie Box Plus, like this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832126044
    On the link there is one review and it's positive but the software: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832126038 seems pretty bad.

Maybe I don't need the Vegas software either just to copy to DVD?? hmmm I'll have to look into it.

I have found some info. It seems that what I'm looking for is a "Video Capture Card". Which you can buy for around $20 like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16815100120

...oh, and can I borrow your VCR???

4. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Ahh yes.. wrong item.. you wanted to get a Pinnacle Dazzle 150... but even so.. without a VHS player .. well.. :sad:

If it's just a VHS tape.. I can do it for you... for the price of the DVD's, cases and postage or maybe trade some stuff for it :hugs:

5. JMag

JMag

Wallyworld has some off-brand VHS/DVD recorder for $99 at last check.

6. Darkmage

Darkmage

I use Pinnacle for my video editing. It's not great, but it works. It's amazingly powerful for the price, but that's kind of damning with faint praise. The threads on the Pinnacle forum deals a lot with the video capture process, so that part is apparently not so rosy (I don't capture via Pinnacle, so I have no experience in that area).

Did you download the latest patch for Pinnacle? The latest version is pretty stable for me.

7. I didn't even open the box for the Pinnacle software. I got it home and looked on newegg, amazon, epinions, etc. to make sure it was okay before I committed. Good comments are few and far between, overall opinion is that it crashes... ...a lot. I had always heard good things about Pinnacle so it was surprising to read all the bad news. Maybe it would have been fine with all the latest patches but as you can probably tell I'm no computer genius so the bad reviews scared me off.

The salesman had tried to steer me toward the Vegas in the first place so I went back and traded. It's pretty cool so far. I'm just dubbing for now but it has 6 tracks, 3 for audio and 3 for video. You can add cutsie text, fade in/out, add music on it's own track, sound effects on their own track. I'll have to try that stuff later, I'm also going to do some slide show type things with digital camara pictures.

I ordered a video capture card from Tigerdirect. It's supposed to work pretty good for just transfering VHS to DVD and if it doesn't I'm only out $11. I'm pretty sure I can find a VCR to borrow somewhere, if not they're pretty cheap these days.

8. You know, I never even thought of that, it may have been the easiest way to go though.

9. greenlead

greenlead

Have you thought about using a dedicated box like this one from JVC?