close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help, Computer Died Last Night

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BinLurking, Sep 28, 2004.

1. BinLurking

BinLurking Your Phone

Computer froze while I was browsing and when I rebooted, there was a message saying the system cannot find the hard drive, hit enter to continue booting, which I did, and it gave me the A> prompt. I think the hard drive is a goner. Questions: (1) What is a good hard drive (I don't reall need a big one, 60 gig will be plenty); (2) Is it possible to recover data from the dead hard drive (I copied my data to CD not too long ago, but I still want to recover some of my more recent emails in OLE). Another option is just to but another CPU. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

A new hard drive in that size should be easy to find at a reasonable price. You might find for a little more though, you can get a much bigger drive.

Whats the speed of the CPU? If its super slow, might be wise to just start over. As for data recovery, you could "try" hooking it up as a slave to the other drive once you get an OS installed on it. Probably won't work, as it sounds like the drive is bad. That's the only thing I could think of trying.

Western Digital and Maxtor are about the only two drive "brands" I'm aware of. I alway sget WD.

http://www.pricewatch.com

IGF

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Leave the computer off for a while. Sometimes it seems like a hard drive has died, but if you wait a while before powering up it will run fine, in my experience. You should get a new drive to copy your old files to if you can get it running again.

4. BinLurking

BinLurking Your Phone

It's an older Gateway PIII 933 Mhz. Another questions: It was a WIN 98 upgraded to XP. If I get a new hard drive, do I have to install 98 then upgrad to XP again, or is there a way where I can just install XP? BTW, I only have the upgrade version of XP. Thank you in advance.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

Put in the XP cd and it will ask for the Win98 to prove you have it. Once it has verified the CD it will do a full install of XP.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have also heard of freezing drives if they will only run for a short time. Freeze them up solid then chunk them in the macine and retrieve until they stop working. May take several times.

8. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

A woman goes into a department store and tells the salesman she wants a pair of pink curtains.

He assures her they have a good selection of pink curtains in many different fabrics and proceeds to show them to her.

She finally picks out a pink floral pattern.

The salesman asks, "What size do you need?"

"Fifteen inches," she responds.

"FIFTEEN INCHES!" he exclaims. "What room are they for?"

"They are not for a room, they are for my computer monitor," she tells him.

The surprised salesman exclaims, "Miss, computers do not need curtains."

To which she replies, "HELLooooooo.........I've got Windows!"