Help choose my new bike!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Archangel, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Archangel

Archangel

i am going to be getting a new ride in 6-9 months. i have it narrowed down (i hope) to two choices. i am looking at a Harley Dyna, something simple and clean. the other is the Yamaha Warrior, very modern and fast, but still a cruiser. i love modern looks and tech but i want a cruiser riding position. i always said that i would someday buy a new Harley but now i really like more modern attributes. if i buy the dyna i will immediately throw the front forks down a hill and replace them with a sporty, inverted set. at the same time, if i go with the warrior i will immediately chop that hideous rear fender down to a nub. hell, it may just be cut completely. i am rambling, so to sum up, i want a big cruiser with all the modern goodies. my best description would be a futuristic harley. my dream bike is a Confederate Hellcat but that would require a divorce and a second job. thanks for listening.

Archangel

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First of all, the Confederate Hellcat is a good poseur bike. Something pretty to look at and to ride to the mall, to Starbuck and to bike night to show off, but not for real riding.

I give Confederate a lot of credit for making interesting vehicles, but if I can't put hundreds of miles on a bike during a ride then it's a poseur bike to me. Not my cup of tea, but that's just me and my opinions about motorcycles.

Secondly, you want a good handling, modern design cruiser? Forget about Harley (unless it's the V-Rod family). Forget about the metric cruisers. Go straight to Victory and check out them bad boys. Inverted forks, dual front brakes, modern design V-twin. Beware though, only their top-of-the-line models get the upsidedown fork and dual front brake. I don't know what the name of the model is but it's the top-of-the-line model. The lesser model has right side up forks and single disc front brake.

Or check out the Suzuki M109R. That's an interesting metric cruiser.

3. Markcuda

Markcuda Guest

You are a posser and don't for get it:rofl:
    You want to take a brand new bike and start choping it up?
    What a goof ball:upeyes:

4. Archangel

Archangel

i like the look of the suzuki, might have to check that one out. what is the main problem with the hellcat? not that i will ever get one, just curious. it looks to be fairly upright in its' riding position. i am not looking for sportbike ability, just good low-end power and natural responsiveness. the victory kingpin is the top dog over on that side of the fence, it seems a little pricey but it looks nice. now you have confused me even more. thanks.

Archangel

5. Archangel

Archangel

Hey Mark, i suppose you have left your harley perfectly stock. just the same as it came from the factory. i would bet good money you have bought some silly chrome geegaw and mounted that with pride to your precious bike. don't know what is the big deal with changing something on a "new" bike. is that against some "big, mean biker" code? am i not a 1%er if i change something on MY motorcycle? just curious.

Archangel

Oh, and you misspelled poser or poseur. just thought you might like to know. best.

6. epsylum

epsylum Guest

I vote for the Warrior

7. Archangel

Archangel

i just read an article about the Moto Guzzi Griso. it's not quite a cruiser, more of a modern standard. it looks amazing. i've always liked that transverse V-twin design and i personally think shaft drive is great, very reliable. now to find a local dealer, i am sure he will let me have a test ride. heh,heh...

Archangel

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Don't sweat the little stuff, my good man. It's your money, so buy whatever you wanna buy. And then do whatever you wanna do with it.

And by all means, try out the Griso. Very interesting machine. Easy riding AND beautiful lines. Just remember that when you own an Italian bike, you love it when you look at it, you love it when you ride it, and you'll hate it when it breaks. Motorcycling Italian-style is a lifelong passion that beholden feelings from both extremes. There is no middle ground.

But do yourself a favor and check out the Victory line.

9. Archangel

Archangel

just found a dealer in GA that carries Victory and Moto Guzzi both. seems like i might make a little road trip this weekend. thanks for the input fnfalman, i will keep you updated. oh, what kind of fal do you have? i love my DSA carbine, it's one of my favorite rifles. best.

Archangel

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I have a feeling that you'll prefer the Griso but there's only way to find out. While you're there, see if the dealer has the Breva 1200 Sport too. Also make sure that Griso at the dealership has the new 1200-cc engine. It's smoother and more torquey than last year's 1100. Whatever you buy, make sure that it's in red.

I think that the Victory with the dual front brakes and USD forks is called the Vegas.

It's been my experience that Italian and Victory dealerships are very accomodating with test rides.

My two FALs are the SAR-48 Brazilian IMBEL imported by Springfield Armory back in the days and a Congo-style one assembled by Arizona Response Systems.

11. gloxter

gloxter Guest

Skip all the other BS and buy yourself a Ducati. You won't regret it. Cruisers are a dime a dozzen, at least in Kali. Oh yeah, I'm not a snob...wave to every rider when I ride.

But my bike has "soul". Best of luck on your choice. My last bike 15 years ago was a Yamaha Virago 920 (twin) with shaft drive and I loved it, but it lacked qualities I think are important in a motorcycle, primarily HANDLING.

12. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Get a bike you can ride 1000 miles per day on.

Neither of the bikes you mention will keep you very happy past the hundred mile marker. What good is that?????

Get a real bike. Road King, Tour Glide, Ultra Classic, 1200 beemer, ST1300, Gold Wing, or the soon to be released Victory road eater.

Get a bike you can ride. There are too many posers cluttering the roads as it is.

13. Archangel

Archangel

Don't give a damn about touring bikes or baggers. if i want an SUV i will buy one. ain't gonna ride 1000 miles at a stint, either. i have nerve damage from an old injury. not gonna sit in the saddle that long or take trips. i take trips in my nice, comfy dodge ram. i want a bike to ride around on the weekends and enjoy. it is a toy for me. most of my guns are toys, too. what is the problem? when i was younger, i rode with some diehard bikers. they rode everyday, ran or shine. that got old for me. i want a new playtoy, is that alright? i guess i can just be a poser, but it's OK. you will be able to pick me out very easily, i will be the one who is NOT an old graybeard dressed in a Hell's Angel/Village People Halloween costume. no silly leather-fringed chaps or "Born to Ride" t-shirt. i don't play dress up and i don't play games. i do, however, like my TOYS. that is what my motorcycle will be for me, not my main transport or anything serious. just fun. i thought that was the main reason to own a bike. silly me. best.

Archangel

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Maybe it's just me but my fat ass don't need no tourer to make 1000-miles trips either.

Anywho, so Archangel, have you had the chance to visit the Goose dealership yet?

Let me know if you're interested in buying a Goose yet can't get a decent deal with the local shop. I'll hook you up with an LA shop that cuts pretty good deals and they'll be more than glad to ship the bike to you.

15. Archangel

Archangel

no, i haven't had a chance to get away yet. my boy wants to go with me so i may take him this weekend. he also wants to go to the harley shop. that's his favorite at the moment. the wife wants the roadstar warrior. i am really leaning toward the griso. way too many choices, i guess that's what they call a "good" problem. i will keep you updated.

Archangel

16. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Warrior looks good, the M109R looks badass-choppy throttle according to the mags. Too heavy for me. I think the Kawi Mean Streak is the same as the Warrior, just a few cosmetic changes.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Archangel,

By all means, go check out all the bikes that may or may not interest you. The big Harley dealerships are pretty decent about test rides, and since that you're interested in a modern design cruiser, do yourself the service of checking out the V-Rod/Street Rod family. Good brakes, good suspension, decent weight, mean engine, the list goes on.

I'm pretty sure that you will have problem with getting test rides from the Japanese brand dealerships, but you never know until you ask. My motto is, "you want me buy your bike, you let me test ride your bike."

The Italian brand dealerships are more generous when it comes to test rides.