close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help burning Cds

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gluck, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Gluck

Gluck

I'm trying to make some copys of Cds, they're backups honest. It's taking forever to copy, a couple minutes to read, then anywhere from 5-20 minutes to write.

This is a computer that I just put together, the drive is a "Lite-On" 52x32x52x16 and seems to work fine otherwise. I'm using Nero Express 6. When I put the disk in to burn it goes to about 5% on the scale, status is "Lead-in", and the drive revs up and down for several minutes. Once it gets through the "Lead-In" it takes only another couple minutes to finish.

The first discs were Memorex 48x, I thought they must have been bad so I got some Sony 48x, they do the same thing.

2. Rainman

Rainman Forgiven!

I don't use Nero but is there a setting for burn rate (speed) some where in there? Should be some where right before you click burn or copy.

3. mark836

mark836 Guest

Lower the burn rate, try one at 8x for example, sounds like your buffer is maxed out. Also, music takes forever to burn unless you have a fast burner.

4. gudel

gudel

if i were you i'd try different media. get yourself some taiyo yuden discs. if media doesn't work, could be the burner.
    software is not a problem, i have nero as well.

i have 8x sony scsi writer, and 16x pioneer ide dvd/cdr writer. for regular cds, whether it's audio or not, it will take less than 9 minutes to burn with the sony, less with the pioneer. makes no difference if it's audio or not, as far as the computer concern, i'ts just 0 or 1.

5. podwich

podwich

Are you trying to make backups of music discs, software discs, or discs of files on your computer? The reason I'm asking is that I've noticed that some of the software discs have copy-protection on them that seems to make it quite slow to copy (assuming it's even possible using Nero).

IOW, is this a universal problem when copying or just for certain discs?

Otherwise, I found a similar problem and its answer via Google.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21065008.html

6. Gluck

Gluck

I'm trying to burn audio Cds. I'm finding that it will work most of the time if you wait long enough. Reviews on Newegg are saying that they are burning in 3 or 4 minutes so I've got to have something wrong.

My hard drive is an SATA, the Cd drive is master on IDE1. I tried unistalling and reinstalling Nero and it's the same thing. I have set it up for PIO only (thanks Podwich) and I'll see what happens now.

I've got my burn speed set at maximum, the drive will do 52x but the discs are 48x so that's what it operates at.

I did not install any driver for the cd drive, just let windows do it's thing. Could that be a problem?

Thanks for the help

7. gudel

gudel

XP will set the controller to ultra dma automatically. i've never seen it set to PIO unless you really have some old drives. nobody makes PIO mode drives in this day of age either. you lite on is new, set it back to ultra dma, you do not want PIO and i doubt changing this setting to PIO will make it work.

try burning an image instead of on the fly, see if it's doing the same thing.

8. podwich

podwich

I'd give it a shot-check for drivers and/or firmware updates here: http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Are you copying to the hard drive before burning? That'll slow it down.

10. Gluck

Gluck

Hmmmmm,setting it to PIO only made it slower and still has the "lead-in" problem.

Gudel, I don't understand what you mean by image vs on the fly. I only have one cd drive so I'm copying to the hard drive and then burning, is there another way of doing this?

I'm seriously starting to wonder if this is a hardware problem. The first 2 or 3 cds burned great, probably 5-6 minutes. Now it's taking 15+ minutes. Is it possible that my drive has gone belly up?

I'll double check the firmware but the last update was February and my drive should be newer than that.

11. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

What are you using to copy the source CD to the hard drive?

What type is the source CD (data - audio)?

If you're making copies of data CDs, I'd use a utility to create yourself an ISO file on the hard drive, then you can burn that ISO back to a CDR/W later. I use WinISO http://www.winiso.com - buts if costs like $30. Free utils are available.

If you're making copies of audio CDs, I'd recommend EAC ExactAudioCopy http://www.exactaudiocopy.de , to rip the songs of the disc to the hard drive(as WAVs), then create an audio CD project in Nero and burn. EAC is freeware.

Other than that, I would also recommend adding a secondary CDROM, so you can read/write in one operation, but you won't get as accurate of copies.

12. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

have you tried using gasoline?

13. Gluck

Gluck

that's next:steamed:

14. Gluck

Gluck

woo-hoo, I just got a new burner, an NEC 3500 somthin' or other, and we're back in bui'ness. It's not as fast as the "Light On" but it's working fine. This one also burns DVDs so I'll have to give that a try.

Hopefully Newegg will RMA the Light-On now.

15. plato

plato softie