Help bullet stuck squib

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DEADLYACCURATE, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Alright here is my problem. I loaded up some 9mm rounds today and went out to shoot em. I shot about 20 then it happened. I heard the primer detonate, but the bullet was stuck in the barrel. I guess I missed one of the cases when putting powder in them. Anyway what can I use to get the bullet out of the barrel. I have tried an unsharpened pencil and a hammer, but the pencil just broke. HELP ME!!!

BTW it is a 115 grain jhp if that helps.

2. hilljo

hilljo Outstanding

A pencil won't work.

You will need to use either a cleaning rod (if you don't want to use it for cleaning anymore) or a similar sized rod..........either way it's got to be made of metal, preferably not alumunium.

Your best bet is to pound it out from the rear/back of the bullet.....unless it's gone just a tiny bit down the barrel; in which case pound it backwards.

No big deal. It happens.

I've had three squibs out of 500,000+ loaded rounds.

3. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

You can use wood dowels about the size of the bore. Brass rods about the size of the bore. Both being a couple of inches longer than the barrel. Also spraying the bore with WD40 or silicone spray also sometimes helps. I have a brass GI type cleaning rod that I always carry too the range. Also a hammer.

4. 1006

My technique --

Round up an alluminum gutter nail, cut the point off and wrap the rod in electrical tape. Bang the former pointy end flat with a hammer. Slip it in the muzzel end, with the gun unloaded and tap it with a hammer, keep the slide in battery. The bullet is normally only about 1/4 of an inch into the barrel -- if it was fired by a primer alone. If the bullet is way up the barrel, tap it out with the gun barrel removed and tap it in the direction it is fired.

Good luck--

5. chris in va

chris in va

Definitely hose the barrel down with a lubricant first, both ends. Let it soak in the push out with a sturdy non-steel dowel and hammer.

One positive thing, you now have slugged your bore!

6. DEADLYACCURATE

Alright I got it. I put some slick 50 in the barrel and let it soak for about 5 minutes. I then took a cleaning rod and wrapped it in duct tape to prevent scuffing the barrel and hit it with a hammer, and it popped right out.

Thanks Guys

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

How the hell can you be "DeadlyAccurate" if your bullets never leave the barrel?

Wait, let me guess, you play air guitar too. :tongueout:

Jack

8. DEADLYACCURATE

I am deadly accurate. I was aiming for the inside of the barrel. :whistling:

9. Fugitive74

Fugitive74

All I got to say is hey man, nice shot.

10. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Classic...:rofl:

11. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

I have used the wood dowel routine twice now. One piece of advice, depending on the type of bullet (lead, plated,or jacketed and round nose vs flat nose) it may be easier to push out the end if it is more than 1/4 the way through. I have had a squib with a 40 and a 9mm, and neither more than 1/2 the way through, but it was still easier to push through rather than retrace back to chamber b/c they were round nose.

12. hoffy

hoffy

But I saw a Dan Wesson 357 barrel with 7-8 slugs in it when I worked at a gun shop years ago, got a squib then I do not know what. The barrel was bulged and ruined for sure and I think the shroud might have been toast too, was 20 years ago. The DWs had interchangeable barrels and shrouds and one could remove the barrel off the frame with a wrench and change barrel lengths, they had a Pistol-Pac that came with 3 barrels/shrouds.

I have used mostly hardwood dowels in removing squibs from other peoples guns(they always bring them to me) but have sacrificed cleaning rods too. In my big range bag(that is too big) I have a brass 38 cal rod and hammer. Had 3 squibs myself over the years, one my fault, the others were old pre WWII 45 acp US GI.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  13. jeffchance

jeffchance

You are very lucky you weren't doing very rapid fire, like trying to see how fast you can empty the magazine (and not hit anything) as a KB was in the making. Glad you were paying attention and caught it.
    JEFF

14. PBKing

PBKing

Just curious as to what kind of press you used. Not the brand but..single/turret/progressive.
    Doing a little independent research.

Thanks

ETA....Shame on me Single, turret, auto indexing or progressive.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  15. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

First guess...manually indexed 550...? :)

16. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

From the sounds of it just a cartridge with no powder. In this case the slide would not had enough oomph to cycle hence there would not be another cartridge loaded and ready to fire. (yes I'm assuming a semi-auto pistol was being used here). I have had this happen a few times. My rule of thumb is if you are using reloads and click goes the trigger but no big bang there is a problem. The firearm immediately gets the magazine removed and is field stripped. Barrel comes out to see if it is squibbed. If it is I call it a day and go home unless I can get the range guys to punch it out for me. At home I use a brass punch. Failures are good training. I have had lots of training since learning how to reload :whistling:

17. norton

norton

I have used the wooden dowel method. One tip. If you go to Home Depot or Lowes to buy the dowel, best to spend a little extra $ and get one of the hardwood dowels-like Oak. They will be harder to break.

18. PBKing

PBKing

What press do you use?

19. Alderak

Alderak

I highly recommend that you use a brass rod. you can buy it at home depot or ace or any place like that. its like 10 bucks and will last forever... cut 6" off for your pistol and throw it in the range bag (hopefully you don't have that many squibs, but who knows, maybe you can save someone else sometime)

if you use oak or some of the other wooden dowels with ball ammo, it can get split by the bullet tip...

EDIT: instead of using a hammer, I remove the barrel from the slide, hold it in leather gloves/washcloth, and hit it on a cement floor. I hold 1 hand entirely on the barrel and the other half on the barrel and half on the rod. I can keep anything from contacting the barrel except my hands and the brass rod this way. no vice, no hammer marks on the crown of your barrel (oops!)

I've also heard of cleaning rods getting stuck between the bullet and the barrel with ball ammo.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  20. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

I have a LNL now but my very early days I used a Lee Thigh Master. Most if not all of my problems occurred very early on with the hand press.