close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help before i kill my wife's cats

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by cyberhick, Apr 26, 2006.

1. cyberhick

cyberhick

My wife (I refuse to take ownership of them) has two cats. They're both very special to her. Now one of them, although I don't know which one, has decided to stop using the litter box and use the area infront of the door where the box is. We have changed the room where they spend a lot of time, and we moved their food, and neither can or will be reversed. Now how can i stop the cat(s) from using my carpet for a litter box???

cyberhick

2. biblefreak

biblefreak

Get the kitty checked out by a vet. Alot of times when a cat stops using the litter box for no apparent reason it is due to a urinary infection of some kind and for some reason the kitty litter irritates the situation.

I had a cat once that would use the bath tub as its own giant toilet, and now years later I recently found out that was most likely the problem. I feel bad now because I couldn't figure it out so I kicked her outside and made her an outdoor cat. Now I pay more attention when any of my animals starts doing ANYTHING out of character!

Justin

3. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

sometimes cats are weird, make surethe litterl box is emptied real regularly , my g/f has a cat that if there is more the a few pieces of poop in it she will go o floor in from of box also grrr. maybe your cat is same way . and i say your cat lol .

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

1. clean the litterbox at least once a day (pref. twice a day) and make sure the litter is changed on a regular basis. Don't just keep adding clean litter.

2. Consider adding a 2nd...or even 3rd litterbox and place them in a different (private) area. The rule of thumb is one litterbox for each cat plus one extra.

3. do take kitty to the vet to see if their are any health problems.

5. ninteen11

ninteen11

I cannot help, you are on the right path. ;)

One suggestion though, have you thought of getting a really mean dog?

6. cyberhick

cyberhick

We put a bed in the room, a futon, but we were planning on moving that in there. There has been no spraying, but there has still been some crap occasionally. The male cat, i believe, is happy, but the little female is who is leaving the little piles, i believe. It does seem to be tapering down though.

As far as a dog, i'll be getting one in about 6 months or so, I compromised with my wife because our first child will be born in June and she thinks it will be too much for her. I was going to take a hound dog that was at the shelter that thought cats were coons. There was also a German Shepherd that thought cats were chew toys. And then there was a full blooded English bulldog who would scale a 4ft fence to get at a cat, but he didn't like kids so I couldn't get him.

Thanks for all the help yall, I really appreciate it.

cyberhick