Help a newbie get started in practical shooting

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Benj, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Benj

Benj

I got my gun merely for self defense, but since shooting at the range every week or so I have come to enjoy it so much, so I'm thinking of maybe starting in the Production division. Just have a few questions, please bear with me, would appreciate any kind of help

1. What kind of practice progression do you guys suggest? I mean, I can group shots and hit A's easily at around 15m, double taps are pretty good already. Do I move to practicing at 25m or do I practice shooting on the move already? I was thinking of getting a class by jasonub, this is a quote he made in a previous post: "here is a simple drill 15 meters draw and fire 6 shots on 3 full classic targets. all in about 3-4 seconds without a d then your ready." This leads me to my next question...

2. What kind of holsters are allowed in IPSC? Are speed holsters the only ones allowed or can we use holsters that are for carry? Speed holsters are quite expensive and someone told me that they are not universal? I may change guns within the next few months and as much as possible I would not want to buy a separate speed holster just for that new one. Sayang naman yung luma ko if that's the case.

3. And finally, would you suggest I go IDPA first before trying out IPSC?

Thanks so much!

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

since member ka na ng PBD gunclub, contact mo si Nixon Sy. He can teach you the basics needed for ipsc. Ask anyone of the range personnel to point him out when you're there. his rates are very reasonable. mas mabilis matuto pag meron coach.

holsters are a personal preference. most of us use CR Speed, Bianchi, Safariland, JR Holsters. carry holsters are allowed.

minimum caliber allowed in ipsc is the 9x19. get at least 3 magazines, 4 is ideal.

idpa is a good venue to get started in to get the feel and experience of competition, but you'll enjoy ipsc more.

3. Arpee

Arpee Still a member

I agree with EC.

You can also join an active gunclub that holds clubshoots regularly. Ask questions and watch the moves of the regular shooters. Most shooters will be willing to help a newbie.

4. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Give us a rundown of your equipment that you have now in the following manner:

1. Type of pistol/s
    2. How many mags for the gun/s
    3. Type of holster
    3. Type of mag pouches & how many
    4. I'm pressuming you're already using a belt, dress-type or whatever?

Next is to join the matches. Sa Sun meron yata sa Armscor. If you want pede ka manood muna. Kung andun si Doc, bug him with your questions. ;) ;f

As for your practice routine, the matches will tell you your deficiencies.

5. Benj

Benj

Eye Cutter, will do that nga, hopefully Nixon Sy will be present during Sundays, as that's the only time I'm able to go. How about the speed holsters? Hindi talaga sila universal for a certain caliber?

mc_oliver

1. Jericho 941f
    2. 2 mags, but about to purchase 2 more
    3. Carry holster, this is a crappy holster I bought during the last gun show, I want to buy a new one, just don't know what to get.
    4. Carry mag pouches also, again bought in the last gun show, not open type, may velcro na enclosing sa taas.
    5. No belt yet, I just use regular belts strapped on to my pants hehe

baguhan talaga ako, that's why I wanna learn and get all the right equipment, slowly but surely :)

6. SMBeerDealer

SMBeerDealer Member

These holsters usually hold the gun's trigger guard. CR speed has models that have spacers so it can be used for a variety of pistols but I wouldn't call them universal as some pistols won't fit even though you manipulate the spacers. Some are not adjustable at all just like carry rigs that are cut for a particular gun's shape.

If you plan to change firearms, sell the holster na din. The Jericho is a good platform though, very nice to shoot.

Get a JR speed belt. They're durable and very budget friendly. :)

7. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I think you can get an Uncle Mike's kydex holster for that gun. As for the pouches and belts either order ka kay Uncle Tony o JR speed. Mas mura konti kay Uncle Tony and he also has items suitable pang carry.

Sino'ng mey cell ni Uncle Tony?

Getting 2 or more mags is a must, if you want to compete. Bugbog kasi mags mo kaya maganda mey pang rotate ka and preferrably another dedicated 1 or 2 pang carry/defense.

As for competiting, the best way to learn is to get yourself "wet" as soon as possible. Observe, ask questions and always practice safe gun-handling. ;)

Btw, ok na ok yang Jericho mo pang Prod. What other gun are you thinking of getting? IMNSHO, If it's not an open gun, it's not worth getting. ;);f;f

8. Benj

Benj

Wow, thank you so much for the help guys, I learned a lot from this thread. Guess it's time for me to get the holsters, belts, mags, and pouches :)

I am thinking of getting a .40 hicap, although this is just a distant plan, since my Jericho is only a few months old, kelangan mabugbog muna yung Jericho before even thinking about getting a new one hehe I am also trying to convince my cousin to sell me his Colt Gold Cup Trophy, although malabo that he would be willing to sell it :)

Does uncle tony or jr holsters have a shop somewhere?

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

punta ka sa Roces branch ng PBD. Meron mga imported and local holsters duon.

get the tanfoglio magazines from armscor. it's the exact same mag for the jericho but selling at a much lower price

Meron IDPA match sa armscor tom. 5 stages. 500 reg. fee inclusive of lunch.

Sa sunday, meron naman 5 stages IPSC match.

10. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

huwag ka na mag single stack. go straight to a hi-cap .40 model

saka ka nalang kumuha ng Colt single stack

11. toxic

toxic

If you are planning to buy the CR speed holster, belt and mag pouch medyo mahal pero matibay and di kasya dulo ng jericho 941f sa flatform, baligtarin mo na lang yung flatform then try to find a nipple na magkakasya sa jericho mo..thats what i did or mag JR speed ka.. no need for any mods. kasyang kasya pinoy made and easy in the pocket.

as for the mags yes Doc EC is right get the tanfoglio (armscor) last time walang stock so nagmegcar ako from twin pines mcs 16+1 but the tanfoglio yata 17+1.

Wag mo muna pakakalikot sa smith kung gusto mo gumaan trigger full gagaan din yan in time..masisira lang just what my club mate did ..bago yung jericho pinakalikot ayon nagloloko.

12. Benj

Benj

*deleted my message, found the answer in a different thread already...