close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help: A graduation speech

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by VICARA, Mar 9, 2006.

1. VICARA

VICARA

Fellow BOGs: (non-gun related topic)

It’s been awhile since my last post. And as usual, work-related reasons.

But I’m back to ask help from everyone. My high school asked me to speak on their next graduation ceremony comes March 31. That’s couple of weeks away! So short a time. Will forward a vacation request today hopefully, it will be a go.

Anyway, if anybody can help me come up with a graduation speech that I can cut and paste, I’ll appreciate it very much. Quite frankly, I’m not the kind who can produce one that captivates the attention of young minds about to get on college life. From what I’m reading since I became a member, I figured a good number of you can weave words like nobody; you can be moonlighting as a speech writer/novelist/journalist/editor/debater. At this time, I don’t have a theme just yet but some keywords comes to mind: hard work, honesty/integrity, go for you inner passion not what others wants you to be, moderation in everything, go for something few have tried before, discover your own genius, humility, remember where you came from, blah, blah, blah (hurrgggghhgh, oh God, nothing else comes to my mind)

Baka mayron kayong itinatagong speech diyan, pls share it with me. You can post it public or pm me if its ‘eyes only’ kinda a stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2. TacticalShot

TacticalShot Member

If you are not up to snuff with making a speech I think you should decline their invitation, if you still can. Just my humble opinion.

3. vega

vega

But he's looking forward to going back to the old country and now he's got an excuse.;f

vega

4. glockoroni

glockoroni

Some of these are oxymorons aren't they? ;f

5. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Vicara,

Perhaps you can start by trimming down your list of possible talk points and then organizing them into a rough outline. After you have an outline, you can then expound on each point, bearing in mind that since your audience will be teenagers, you should keep your message short and sweet.

If you wish, you can liven up your speech by relating personal anecdotes, perhaps along the lines of how you started out after high school, challenges you've met along the way, and the values you have kept throughout life.

It's easy to make a speech. Just be sincere and "talk to your audience" instead of above them.

6. paltiq

paltiq

maganda suggestion ni mikey177.. yun bang parang nagku-kwento ka lang.... your personal tips/suggestion (tried & tested practical tips) to them on how to survive present status of the country;Q

7. Django

Django

8. Allegra

Allegra

I like Mikeys suggestion , plus I'd make persevance the theme
    Yun ang kulang sa aming mga kaibigan, although we know the value of whining ( just read all local the internet forums )

9. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

just tell your story as it is.and the lessons you learned and the good values you carried along the way.just relax man,chill out.and don't to forget to inspire them!! and goodluck to you!bring a hankie in case you have a sweat attack!let us know how it turned out.;c

10. VICARA

VICARA

thanks guys for the tips and encouragements.
    When I got the invitation the other day, I actually started a short framework with those keywords i mentioned. I might have to trim them as per mikey's suggestion and add Allegra's perseverance.(Allegra, I agree, whiners and grouchy fellows are all over the place)

Well, I just have to construct sentences out of them then paragraphs and hopefully a sensible/meaningful speech. Invitations like this comes very rare, so I dont intend to snub it if I have my choice.

thanks django and paltiq, i will browse those sites and see what I can come up to.

11. Skyhook

Skyhook

First, congratulations. You must be someone those folks respect for them to honor you with such an opportunity.

I would not do it for I am not on the best footing with school faculties, administrators or the products they have been turning out lately.

But, someone must do it and I wish you the best. Be careful with the length of your speech and watch those words having two or more syllables.:cool:

12. riddler

riddler

Don't use "I" too much.

Don't make it about you, instead focus your speech on the students' accomplishments and what goals lay before them.

Don't mince words, speak the truth, cite examples from history that everyone knows.

Don't preach to the crowd!

13. jasonub

jasonub

"Ask not what your country can do for you. But ask what you can do for your country";Q

14. Allegra

Allegra

naunahan mo pako fafa :) JFK made some pretty inspiring speeches
    Mga kabataan tulad namin should stop asking for help sa govt.
    Be rsponsible and self reliant and do you r share

sige na nga , ako na magsusulat! hehe kidding :)

15. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Also don't forget to include a line or two in the native language of your highschool.

16. kiddie

kiddie

"...At this time, I don’t have a theme just yet but some keywords comes to mind: hard work, honesty/integrity, go for you inner passion not what others wants you to be, moderation in everything, go for something few have tried before, discover your own genius, humility, remember where you came from, blah, blah, blah (hurrgggghhgh, oh God, nothing else comes to my mind)..."

Cough, cough...after my highschool graduation, I cannot remember any inspirations or passions so to share and I'm really wondering how can I really give you an inspirational message...

Hardwork , honesty, integrity, patriotism? You already heard them I suppose...Well, who really wants to be called an idiot, a drop-out, or to be a GRO, janitor, or a street sweeper for life? No offense to my fellow workers but you knew how life could be that hard especially in these times.

...But these are the gloomy options that will be left to you
    if you just idle around and refuse to exert a determined effort to obtain a better education and be mature in your dispositions....Cough...

How can I inspire you? I think it is readily apparent that those who had strived well in their studies got the better jobs... They have beautiful house... beautiful cars...and beautiful WIVES, ganda babae , ganda lalaki...They travel abroad and they dine in fine restaurants...and they have kimbers, SIGS, USPs, and Glocks in their hips...Not the Tokarevs;L not the Paltiks;L...

Well its for you to choose... Be smart...Make the right decision and give much more than your best effort...Paningkamot dyud, ayaw pag tinapulan, ayaw magpa-kadyut kadyut, samtang mobu pa ang lobi..Iwaksi mo ang mga ugaling ganyan...

..TYVM..Congratulations to your new Glock...

...CLAP;f..CLAP;f..CLAP;f...BOO;f...BOO;f...BOO;f

17. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Vicara,

Also try to recall how you felt when you were about to graduate from high school. I don't know about you, but my head was filled with uncertainties about making the right choice for a college course, anxieties about saying goodbye to close friends, etc.

Perhaps you could give them some reassurance that it's all right to make mistakes, as long as the situation is not FUBAR :)

OT: I'd just like to share that 20 years after graduating from high school, my high school barkada is having a renaissance of sorts and we, along with our wives and kids, have been meeting regularly for the past years to keep in touch and have fun. There is some truth to the notion that your childhood friends are the ones that will still be there for you when you are older.

18. apoy

apoy 1337

19. toxic

toxic

try to incorporate humorous experiences you have when you were still a student, research if your old school teachers are still there and mention them in your speech, try to speak of new things the graduates can relate to ..and dont forget to speak the native dialect, kung ingles ka ng ingles at di naman maiintindihan nung mga bata at mga magulang ng mga bata its gonna be pointless..handa ka na rin ng little donation for your school(kung uso don)
    invite old friends and people you know to atest whatever your gonna speak about ..taga palakpak man lang..(just kidding).
    good luck and have a nice time.

20. VICARA

VICARA

once more, thank you all for those replies. they all makes sense. I like that part speaking in the native dialect and injecting a little humor. that should do it!

now i have to travel over 3,000 miles for this event...