Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just joined up here after a month or so of reading the CopTalk forum. I finally did a little more looking and found the Ham forum.
I am a LEO, Advanced Class operator, outdoorsman, dog owner and Glock owner x 2 (and a kel-tec sub2k; glock mags). I am not much of a "poster" but like to read the threads. Just wanted to say hello and glad to meet you all. Going to try to post a pic of my "girl" Piper, hope it works.

KG5RE

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome to the ham forum. I'm a general working on the extra but math is one of my weak points.
My haunts are here & the survival forum.. lotta good folks!!
Feel free to jump in & help others get licensed or answer questions.
7.240 +/- evenings
--... ...--
-. .---- -- .-.. ..-.

FN64

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hello and welcome. Not much activity down here but what activity there is, is quality stuff ;) I have an Extra and operate VHF, UHF and HF. My HF is mostly Air Force MARS but I do get out on 20-Meters once in a while.

Rich

WI9NDY in INDY

·
Registered
595 Posts
Originally posted by FN64
... I'm a general working on the extra but math is one of my weak points....

FN64
Don't worry too much about the math. If you look at the question pool thw answers that require math are so different that you can almost guess at the right answer. If you have not done so, there are several on-line pretice test web sites. I would encourage you to just go for it.

Rich
WI9NDY
AFA1CY

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rich:
Point taken.. bottom line being I want to know the math for my own use in designing antennas from scratch rather than working from someones plans as I have done in the past. A couple "noteable" hams have been 'Elmering' so to speak..W4RNL & K9STH have been most helpfull.
I'll get it sooner or later but I just have to keep working a specific formula umpteen times before it finally sinks in..

73..FN

·
Registered
595 Posts
It is good to have an understanding of the math and principles. One of the best investments you can make is a good set of reference books. I found an electronic reference for radio engineers at a garage sale for $2.00 It is a little bit dated but the antenna and RF references are still used. Check out the second hand book stores. I have seen the ARRL hand book before at Half Price Books. Best wishes on the test and let us know when you get it.

Rich
WI9NDY
AFA1CY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts