Hello from colorado!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by anjroid86, Mar 29, 2020.

1. anjroid86

anjroid86

Hey all! Not new to guns but I haven't owned one for a good few years. Just picked up a newish glock 45 for home defense with all this pandemic scare going on. Sadly I was only able to purchase a single box of civil defense and 2 boxes of federal ultra target and range ammo. All the places I've called are out of 9mm....its crazy man!
    After some research i liked the sound of the 19x, being a mash of the 19 and 17 and thought it to be the best of both worlds but price for that thing is a bit steep for what is offered. I'm not a big guy, but the 19's grip felt a little small and that's one of the reasons why I decided on the 45.
    So with the indoor ranges being closed I'm looking into some outdoor ranges to get acquainted with my new firearm. Weather has been dreary lately, but that's the least of my worries at the moment. Wish I could get some toilet paper at least.... been having to "borrow" from friends.
    Ok anyhoo....been wondering what 9mm ammo i should be looking out for. Also haven't had the chance to apply for conceal carry permit, and dont particularly want to purchase an open carry holster just yet, but would still like to hear from anyone on recommendations. I know the 45 wont be the easiest to conceal but that isnt a major concern at the moment.
    Sorry for the long introduction! Hit me with all your wisdom and thanks for any advice.

-Jordy

El Pistolero, J-Doo and slamdunc like this.
  2. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 σαρκασμός

3. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Is Colorado still limited to 15 round magazines?

Holsters: the Crossbreed super tuck style works for a lot of people.

I like Dara Kydex and Galco Leather holsters. They're like shoes, everyone has specific needs and preferences.

In 9mm most big name manufacture makes good self defense ammo. Federal, Speer, Winchester, Hornady. I have a high preference for Federal/Speer. Specifically HST and Gold Dot. I’d stay away from “boutique” ammo like RIP and the like.

luckygunner, gtdist, targetsportusa are great online stores to get ammo from. Avoid cheaperthndirt like COVID19.

Also, welcome and be careful. A few on here have been quite patronizing to new owners in your situation. Enough so, I thought your post was a farce at first.

ruffhunter, boyscoutG36 and anjroid86 like this.
  4. anjroid86

anjroid86

Thanks for all the advice @DevinBreeding I guess Colorado is allowing bigger mags as mine came with 3 17-rounders. And as for my situation....I'm doing by best to stay away from the panicked thought process. But both myself and my wife lost our jobs, we each had 2.... **** is just sucking right now. Could be worse and all we can hope is it'll get better soon. I feel sorry for those having to deal with worse situations but thankful to be spending time with my wife and 3 year old daughter and we are all healthy. I'm not too worried about big bad bullies on the internet but I appreciate you letting me know. They can kick all the **** they want my way. All I know is I'm doing what I feel is right to protect myself and family and that's really all that matters.
    Aside from all that....I've been really wanting to get back into shooting. I used to have a ruger 357. My would take me to the range every now and then... superman 38 special, he had a glock 17 I think, and a 357 as well. Good times. Buddy of mine recently got a G19 and AR15 that lucky bastard only paid $500 for it too. Got me wanting to plink again.

J-Doo and DevinBreeding like this.
  5. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

Welcome to GT!

anjroid86 likes this.
  6. bac1023

bac1023

7. Tahmail

Tahmail

Welcome. Colorado still has a 15 round mag limit but most counties have declared "sanctuary status" and a number of FFL's ignore the limit. Most indoor ranges in Colorado Springs are open for business. Come and enjoy some shooting if you are nearby.

MarkCO, pgg00 and anjroid86 like this.
  8. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Welcome to G.T.

anjroid86 likes this.
  9. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

10. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

Welcome!

anjroid86 likes this.
  11. anjroid86

anjroid86

Thanks for all the welcome! @Tahmai ah damn....I'm up in FOCO....springs is a bit far to drive just for some range time but thanks for letting me know. And also about the mag limit. does that mean I need to purchase smaller mags if I am to carry, concealed or open?

12. bellavite1

bellavite1

Welcome!
    I work at the Silverbullet shooting range in Wheatridge and, although we are closed for shooting, we are open for retail and yes, we have plenty of 9 mm for sale.
    Come on in...

RockingtheGlock and anjroid86 like this.
  13. Pepiot

Pepiot Yippee ki-yay...

14. J-Doo

J-Doo

Welcome form Michigan. We’re glad to have you. You do need to have thick skin on this site, it took me a while to get used to it.

anjroid86 likes this.
  15. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

Welcome to GT.

anjroid86 likes this.
  16. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

17. rayzer007

rayzer007

Good to have you in the club anjroid86!

anjroid86 likes this.
  18. pgg00

pgg00

Howdy

anjroid86 likes this.
  19. anjroid86

anjroid86

Thanks @bellavite1 just outside denver! Not a bad trek for some additional ammo. Thanks for the heads up! And thanks again for the advice from everyone.

20. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Check out Liberty Firearms Institute in Loveland. Largest between the Mississippi and CA. They had ammo last I checked, and a knowledgeable sales staff. The ranges are impressive. Only indoor ranges I will shoot at in the State.

anjroid86 likes this.