close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

helicopter or wixed wing

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KK20, Jul 17, 2004.

1. KK20

KK20

i would appreciate input from you guys to help me make up my mind.
    should i get my private license for fixed wing then go for helicopter or go for helicopter license straight away?

most of my friends that fly helicopters started flying fixed wings first.

my interest is mainly helicopters.

input will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I had a fixed wing private license before going to the Army helicopter flight school.

It was a great help in that I already knew navigation, weather, procedures, etc and had air sense.

If you want to fly BOTH I'd still say learn to fly helicopters first.

If you want to fly ONLY helicopters don't waste your time and money on FW.

I've cross trained both FW and helicopter pilots and the prior flying experience helps but,

It's much easier and faster for a good helicopter pilot to learn to fly FW than it is for a good FW pilot to learn to fly helicopters.

I soloed another helicopter instructor in a Cessna 150 in 45 minutes.
    An unusual case to be sure but a couple hours would not be all that unusual.

To SAFELY solo a FW pilot in helicopters takes almost as long as if the person had no flying experience at all.

3. FB3

FB3

The answer to your question is really related to what your intent is as to your future in aviation. I am not rotorcraft rated, but have several good friends that are and have been fortunate enough to get a fair amount of time flying helicoptors. They are really a blast, but inless you are able to afford to buy your own or have a job lined up flying one, once you get your rotorcraft license, you essentially cannot fly one solo due to insurance requirements. At least that is the way it is in the US. There are some exceptions, but I do not know of anyone who rents a chopper to a low time pilot. Unless you can afford to buy your own or keep paying for dual instruction, you will not be able to do much rotorcraft flying.

Fixed wing is much different. Get a license, and it is relativeley easy to build time and enjoy and refine the skills that you have learned. Still a little pricy, but definitely much easier than helicoptors.

4. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I went to army RW flight school, then the FW MEL qual course.

If you intend flying both, I agree with FB3 – FW first. Trainer copters cost about 3x as much to rent as trainer airplanes. And it takes more copter training before you can be trusted flying alone. If you already were FW licensed, it would take fewer of those more expensive RW hours to get your ticket.

5. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Unless you have access to helicopters guaranteed you should do the fixed wing first. They are cheaper to rent and available everywhere. Helicopters are very expensive to rent if you can find one. The fixed wing will keep you flying often. Now if you're in the military with a helicopter at your command you may want to do it first.:)

6. KK20

KK20

in south africa i will get RW time as easy as i would FW. but seeing that i will be spending more time in CA in future. i might as well get my FW first.

guys, thank you for the input.

7. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Fixed wing, definitely. If you have a problem in a fixed wing you can look for a soft place to land way over there. If you have a problem with a rotary, that soft spot has to be directly beneath you.

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

But in a helo, that soft spot only needs to be 40'x40' or so. I'd rather lose the engine in a helicopter than a fixed wing any day.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I'd rather lose it on my Harley.;f