61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Reactions: aircarver

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
I've always like the bit about the difference between fixed-wing pilots and helicopter pilots - it's something like this:

Airplane pilots are generally cheery, upbeat, friendly optimists. Their aircraft wants to fly, even soar gracefully and joyously. If the engine dies, they simply continue to glide, and have lots of time to set up a workable landing.

Helicopter pilots are generally cynical, cranky, grumpy ****ers, who know that Murphy is their co-pilot, and they're flying a machine that's only inches from flying apart when things are going well. If they lose power, they're taking a barely-controlled plummet to the ground, and if they're very very lucky, they'll have one brief chance to bring the aircraft in without making a fresh crater.
That's probably because helicopter pilots know there is something called a " Dead Man's Curve " attached to it.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
UH-1Y, still in service and still being made. The Huey sure has evolved - five tons added, horsepower more than tripled over the years.

There aren’t many machines with that kind of endurance and legacy. The UH-1, C-130, Cessna 172, Jeep.
What about the CH-47 Chinooks? They certainly have been around since the early 60’s, and are still in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: flyover

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts
What about the CH-47 Chinooks? They certainly have been around since the early 60’s, and are still in service.
What about DC-3 / C-47 ?

You guys are just pretending you're not old .... :rofl:

:eek:uttahere:

Reactions: flyover

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If you find yourself in a fuselage that is going slower than the wings, you are in a helicopter, and thus in an unsafe place. Everything on a helo works against everything else...

Reactions: Deanster

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
If you find yourself in a fuselage that is going slower than the wings, you are in a helicopter, and thus in an unsafe place. Everything on a helo works against everything else...
I tried to qualify for Warrant Officer Flight School. While I was at Fort Campbell the army came out with a new test for chopper pilot school, the FAST-2. And they were still testing this new test. So they had an assembly and had a large group of us take the test. It turned out that me and a couple of other guys at that base had set new high scores for this test, so of course I got kind of excited at that possibility. It would sure beat the hell out of being a ground pounder with a bunch of reprobates and rejects (“military or jail”). I couldn’t get a waiver for being 6’7”, they said that I wouldn’t fit in a cockpit.

Oh well.

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Not trying to out-old anyone, but you forgot the C-119 Flying Boxcar.

Got you beat easily. My first orientation flight in AFROTC was in a C-119.

:D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Speak of the devil.

HH-43 Huskie

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV2YZxYjkUM

Used as a firefighting helicopter by the AF. The base where I was the Fuels Officer trained pilots for the FF mission.

I got an orientation ride in the back once.

View attachment 837000
That Crash Truck in the background is an O-11A. I trained on one of those when I went through Chanute in 1975.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the back of C-130H models going from one place in the world to another.

Reactions: willie_pete

·
Patrol Corporal
837 Posts
It's called a Jesus nut because it takes an act of God to get it off. If He is otherwise occupied a Power-Dyn will work
I heard it was because you prayed to Jesus that it didn’t come off cause that’s all that was holding you in the air. ;)

·
Patrol Corporal
837 Posts
I used to work with a fixed wing pilot who called a helicopter “10,000 moving parts, flying in close formation, looking for a place to crash.” :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m always reminded of the words of one Army crew chief as to what to do in case of a helo crash. “Do not exit the helo until all parts have stopped moving”! Been there done that.

·
Moved on...
9,678 Posts
Wow, never realized that the blades rotate with every 360* turn of the rotor assembly. It makes perfect aerodynamic sense, but that must be an interesting arrangement. I will have to google that to see what arrangement is used to keep everything turning and how they adjust it.
What will surprise you more (It did me) is that directional force or "lift" is applied 90 deg. (90 degree phase lag) from the desired direction due to the gyroscopic effect of the blades. When I first learned this I was like, "Wait, what?!"
rotor.jpg

·
Moved on...
9,678 Posts
I used to work with a fixed wing pilot who called a helicopter “10,000 moving parts, flying in close formation, looking for a place to crash.” :)
Or, 10,000 flying parts desperately trying to get away from each other!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts