Reactions: 1bigK

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Reactions: willie_pete

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Some helicopters use a rigid blade system (Bolkows I believe). You can do a barrel roll in one of them! Bell blades (among others) flap.

Reactions: 8X8

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Looked at the YouTube page. He lost me at "I put a GoPro on my Rotor Head Assy"

Ummmm, errrrrr.....Ok. :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Blade pitch decreases as it moves in the direction of flight. Pitch increases as the blade moves opposite the direction of flight. This evens out the lift of the blade as the helicopter moves forward. Google retreating rotor stall.

·
Registered
18,056 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow, never realized that the blades rotate with every 360* turn of the rotor assembly. It makes perfect aerodynamic sense, but that must be an interesting arrangement. I will have to google that to see what arrangement is used to keep everything turning and how they adjust it.

·
Descent Terminated
33,323 Posts
Too many moving parts that have to KEEP moving for holding me 'way up in the middle of the air' ... :wow: .. :alex:

[Remember: At one point in time I made my living running helicopter components to death in ground tests for Hiller ... and die they did ! ... :wow: ]

Reactions: Deanster

·
NRA Life Member
28,419 Posts
My father flew for the county and was an IP in helicopters and airplanes. One day I was out flying with him in the helicopter when I went home on leave. We were flying around over the river when he said something didn't feel right ( I didn't feel a thing different ) and he put it down on a sandbar in the middle of the Banana River at Cocoa Beach.

As the rotor slowed down, he pointed and said " there it is ". It turned out to be a piece of plastic wrap wrapped across on of the blades and had thrown the balance off. When the blades slowed down enough it fell off, he started back up and off we went.

:alex:

Eventually with enough trips home, I could fly the thing around all right once it was in the air, but never got enough time in to take off or land.

I didn't mind a bit; flying a helicopter is nothing but work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's called a Jesus nut because it takes an act of God to get it off. If He is otherwise occupied a Power-Dyn will work

1 - 20 of 79 Posts