Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about the Heizer Defense pocket pistols and the .45 in particular is catching my eye. I've been working through the reviews of the PKO45, and they have a few other pistols that are interesting. Anyone have any experience with this company or their pistols or can offer any experience? Anyone else interested in checking them out? I generally don't jump on newly released technology, but exceptions can be made.

https://heizerdefense.com/category/products/guns/

·
Registered
32,300 Posts
What purpose did you have in mind for owning and using the gun?

From the manual:

WARNING – HANDLING
Do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it, and unload it
immediately when you have completed shooting. (See “Unloading
Warning” below.)

If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire. Keep chamber empty unless
actually firing!

For maximum safety when carrying the pistol, the chamber should be
empty, the barrel should be open.
For a range use oddity?

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Same gun as in the link? I swear I saw 6 and 7 rd mags.

Reactions: D-GLOCK17

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am really curious about the PKO45: how can they make a pocket .45 auto with a fixed barrel?
Gas delayed blow back à la HKP7?

·
Registered
32,300 Posts
You're right. It appears their new PKO45 is going to be a semiauto, versus their other single shot design. I was just looking through their other models and their listed online manual.

Considering the wealth of established major gun companies who have already learned how to make little semauto pistols, especially chambered in .45 ACP, I'd have no interest in getting in on the ground floor of a brand new design, and especially one that's the first attempt to make a semiauto pistol by some company.

Diminutive .45 semiauto's are often described as being "less tolerant" of shooter and ammunition influences than larger models, and that's on a good day, when it comes to established, major gun companies who have been around for a while.

I dislike being a Beta tester, myself, as I've BTDT, but I suppose it's got to be done by somebody. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I put these in the same category as Bond Arms. Too big and heavy for such limited capacity. Other than "they look cool", not sure why people would buy one instead of a J-frame or a G43.

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm forever hopeful, but always a skeptic when it come to new technology. I like seeing a new take on guns, even if they're not perfected yet.

According to the reviews, this is supposed to be a good pocket carry .45. I already have a 19/43 combo so I'm not in need of much else, but you know, I could always use other options. I am keeping an eye open for a pocket pistol option, but not in any rush. I don't even have a .45 platform ATM so this pistol would have to be truly special to goad me into a purchase.

There are a few videos with people shooting it. It doesn't look awful to shoot. Probably something I'll keep an eye on and see how the next few years treat it.

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
That the demo shows the shooter wearing a glove should indicate something, I think.

And a similar design in 7.62x39??

Geesh....

It would be interesting to play with, but I would want some hands-on time before purchasing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
As a general rule I support companies trying to develop innovative firearms. It will be interesting to see how the PKO works out. Hope it's not the next R51.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The semi-auto is an interesting design. It would not be fun to shoot, will be expensive and isn't much to look at however. If interested I'd wait 6-12 months after intro to shake out any bugs.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts

A single shot pistol for women chambered in the AK round?

Brilliant...

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I think they make that in a 7.62x39 too. Little kick there eh?

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
A couple observations:

The grip safety on the front of the grip is a bit unconventional. For folks who fret over XD/1911 grip safeties, those look a lot more consistent in engagement than this little thing on the front. Not saying it won't work (I have never held one), but it is interesting, and my first reaction is mild skepticism.

Again, I have not held one, but visually, that grip shape looks like it would be incredibly difficult to hold on to. I understand it was designed for folks with bad wrists, so the intent is the exact opposite, but it just has the look of something that would try to flip out of your hand without any leverage from the fingers on the front of the grip to help fight flip. I carry a 938, so I am not averse to having fingers dangle, but the PKO45 just looks visually odd/uncomfortable to me. I need to hold one to see if my eyes are seeing this wrong. They may be.

Some images appear to not have the grip safety, and the mag extension is in some pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just learned about the Heizer Defense pocket pistols and the .45 in particular is catching my eye. I've been working through the reviews of the PKO45, and they have a few other pistols that are interesting. Anyone have any experience with this company or their pistols or can offer any experience? Anyone else interested in checking them out? I generally don't jump on newly released technology, but exceptions can be made.

https://heizerdefense.com/category/products/guns/

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought one several years to wear in an overcoat in cold weather when my edc was covered up. It was a two shot .45. The trigger pull was terrible. Sold it and moved to warmer climate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, seriously?

They are terrible.

They aren't that small and they are fairly heavy. Recoil pounds your hand and they hold one round. They do seem well constructed, but they are not pleasant to shoot and certainly not practical.
According to the link, they hold a 5 or 7 round magazine...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts