Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence on carrying a .40 for the SE woods, but some good folks here recommend the HEAVY FMJ .40 ammo from Double Tap and Buffalo Bore.

I have only used 180 grain ammo in .40. The gun is a HK USP.

Does anyone have experience with the HEAVY .40 ammo?

How does it stack up vs .45 ACP FMJ or 10 MM?

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I run 200gr double tap hardcast out of my xd 40 tactical, beretta 96fs, beretta 90-two. I had a Glock 20 but sold it as there's nothing in the area I hunt that couldnt be taken with a .40. The 10mm is a powerhouse that dosent compare to the .40 pushing the same 200gr. projectile. But it comes down to do YOU really need a 10mm??

·
Registered
256 Posts
I run 200gr double tap hardcast out of my xd 40 tactical, beretta 96fs, beretta 90-two. I had a Glock 20 but sold it as there's nothing in the area I hunt that couldnt be taken with a .40. The 10mm is a powerhouse that dosent compare to the .40 pushing the same 200gr. projectile. But it comes down to do YOU really need a 10mm??
The WFN-GC bullet of Double Tap has a meplat (flat nose) larger than any 45 cal hardcast bullet commercially loaded. The sectional density (one of the properties that helps with penetration) of the 200 gr 40 cal bullet is similar to the 255 gr 45 cal bullet. As I have said before 1000 fps is not shabby out of a G-27 that will fit in the cargo pocket of my hiking shorts or pants. A G22 will net you about another 100 fps. Hardcast bullets with a BHN of 21 will be ok in Glock barrels. Double Tap goes an extra step and adds a gas check to further ensure there is no lead buildup in Glock barrels.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The DT 200 grain FMJ is a load I like in my Glock 22. It is loaded to 1100 out of a 4.5 inch barrel. If you are looking for deep penetration from an off the shelf load the Remington-UMC 180 grain MC is a good one and the bullet has a nice wide meplate. The Speer Lawman 180 grain TMJ is another load that I like.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
With those DT 200 WNFP and the LWD barrels available (up to 5+" for the 23 and 27 and up to 6" for the 22) you could have very capable protection from just about anything. I've got all the Glock 40's and 10mm's. The heaviest Glocks in order (unsure of the GAP's) are the 20, 24 and 29. A 22 would be close to a 29 in terms of power and weight with five more rounds on board. The 22 is thinner, full three finger grip and longer sight radius. Way less blast with more of the powder being burned in the barrel than out of it also.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
With those DT 200 WNFP and the LWD barrels available (up to 5+" for the 23 and 27 and up to 6" for the 22) you could have very capable protection from just about anything. I've got all the Glock 40's and 10mm's. The heaviest Glocks in order (unsure of the GAP's) are the 20, 24 and 29. A 22 would be close to a 29 in terms of power and weight with five more rounds on board. The 22 is thinner, full three finger grip and longer sight radius. Way less blast with more of the powder being burned in the barrel than out of it also.
Good point on the Glock 22. I keep going back to it over the Model 29. I like them both but being thinner it can ride high and out of sight in an inexpensive Glock Sport Combat holster with 15 rounds at the ready. The 200 grain DT loads really are a nice addition to the great variety of SD loads on the market. The Glock 23 is a great option as well.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I'm on the fence on carrying a .40 for the SE woods, but some good folks here recommend the HEAVY FMJ .40 ammo from Double Tap and Buffalo Bore.

I have only used 180 grain ammo in .40. The gun is a HK USP.

Does anyone have experience with the HEAVY .40 ammo?

How does it stack up vs .45 ACP FMJ or 10 MM?
Where to start....I'm not sure the extent of what you're considering toward living (except for zombies of course:supergrin:) things that can kill you by their own strength or with another weapon, but FMJ in anything leaves a smaller than caliber sized wound track. Which is exactly the reason you hear so much about wide field nose hard cast lead bullets. Otherwise, I consider the 40 & 45 to lay on some pretty even ground depending on what specific loads in each are being compared.

Then there's platform size. How big are you willing to even consider? Let's assume you have zero interest in something the size of a Desert Eagle handgun. Is a G20SF too big for you? If not, a G20SF with an aftermarket 6" barrel in combination with 200gr XTPs +1350fps should do extremely well for you. We're talking ~20" penetration depth in clothed gel with ~.75" expansion.

Such a load would be this one -
http://www.swampfoxgunworks.com/swampfox/product.php?productid=17681&cat=397&page=1

Who needs hardcast lead in an area void of grizzlys or brown bears with a load like that available that pokes a bigger hole than anything hardcast or FMJ in 40 or 45? Yeah, I don't know either.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Do what makes you most comforable, leaving you with the best piece of mind.

Good Shooting,
Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts